Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios & CPU

User Tag List

CPU speed extremely low

This is a discussion on CPU speed extremely low within the Motherboards, Bios & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have an Intell i7-6500 CPU that is supposed to run 2.6GHz but for some reason it gets stuck around

Closed Thread

Old 11-20-2018, 04:21 PM   #1
Registered Member

I have an Intell i7-6500 CPU that is supposed to run 2.6GHz but for some reason it gets stuck around 0.4 GHz after startup. It usually fluctuates a bit but always settles around 0.40-0.45 Ghz and slows EVERYTHING down. Sometimes I can't even load Task Manager. Rebooting has a 10-20% chance of fixing it, but sometimes I can spend hours cleaning and rebooting just trying to get it to work. Can anyone help? Running Windows 10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2018, 07:29 PM   #2
Microsoft MVP
Microsoft Team Moderator
Articles Team Manager
Hardware Team Moderator

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

It could be that the chipset driver isn't running properly. See if there is a new update for your system: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us...rt/detect.html
Old 11-21-2018, 08:45 AM   #3
Registered Member

I downloaded the intel update thing. I followed the install instructions and rebooted my computer. everything is just as slow, if not worse.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2018, 08:48 AM   #4
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Post a screenshot of HWMonitor.
Old 11-21-2018, 09:14 AM   #5
Registered Member

I don't know what HWMonitor is. Is that something I have to download?
Old 11-21-2018, 09:23 AM   #6
Registered Member

Okay I downloaded CPUz
Click image for larger version

Name:	cpuz.png
Views:	18
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	322192
I hope this is what you're looking for.
Old 11-21-2018, 09:24 AM   #7
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

https://www.cpuid.com/downloads/hwmo...nitor_1.37.exe

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Old 11-21-2018, 09:31 AM   #8
Registered Member

okay here is a constructed screenshot (whole window did not fit on screen at once) of HWMonitor

Name:	HWMonitor.png
Views:	50
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	322194
I should probably note that at the moment the CPU is not stuck on the 0.4 and is at least producing 1.3GHz of speed, which is allowing me basic functions like typing and scrolling but struggles with loading new pages.
Old 11-26-2018, 06:18 AM   #9
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedingRain View Post
okay here is a constructed screenshot (whole window did not fit on screen at once) of HWMonitor
Attachment 322194
I should probably note that at the moment the CPU is not stuck on the 0.4 and is at least producing 1.3GHz of speed, which is allowing me basic functions like typing and scrolling but struggles with loading new pages.
If you are running on battery power, plug it in and activate the "high performance" power profile if available. Your battery shows 58% wear. How long have you had this laptop? What are its make and full model number? The HDD model is 7 years old, let's see what Crystal DiskInfo says about its health status.

Download and run Prime95 stress testing for maximum heat. While the stress test is running for at least 5 minutes, take a screenshot of HWMonitor and post it in your next reply alongside that of Crystal DiskInfo. Leave the stress test running for at least 10 minutes. Keep watch on Task Manager or HWMonitor to see how fast the CPU gets. Keep an eye out on the CPU's package maximum temperature as reported by HWMonitor. If it approaches 100 degrees, i.e climbs higher than 97 degrees, stop the stress test. If you let it reach 100 degrees it will shut down due to overheating to prevent frying the CPU. It won't be a clean shutdown though, so don't let it get to that. If it doesn't get past 97 degrees after running the stress test for 10+ minutes and the fan is spinning audibly fast, you can leave it running some more, while monitoring its utilization level (should be 100% while stress testing) and at the maximum speed of ~3.10GHz. Report back with the findings.
Old 11-26-2018, 10:37 PM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stancestans View Post
Your battery shows 58% wear. How long have you had this laptop? What are its make and full model number?
I got this laptop new in March 2016. It's a Dell Inspiron 5559.

Quote:
While the stress test is running for at least 5 minutes, take a screenshot of HWMonitor and post it in your next reply alongside that of Crystal DiskInfo.
Leave the stress test running for at least 10 minutes. Keep watch on Task Manager or HWMonitor to see how fast the CPU gets. Keep an eye out on the CPU's package maximum temperature as reported by HWMonitor.
Report back with the findings.
It struggled to reach maximum speed at first, often resting at the usual 0.41 GHz with brief spikes of 2.0 GHz or more, but right around ten minutes of test runtime, it shot up to 2.6 GHz and hovered there.
After 15 minutes of run time and it still hovering at 2.6 GHz, I decided to remove the power cable for a minute to see what would happen to processor speed, and I've posted the result. Not sure if it's relevant, but I figured I'd post it.
After the power cable was replaced, the CPU speed went up to 2.6 GHz and stayed there steady until I turned the test off at 21 min runtime. Max temp 84C.

You know, this the first time in the two and a half years I've had this laptop that I've ever even heard the cooling fan. Quieter than a library I tell you.

Here's the screenshot of everything.

Name:	Untitled.png
Views:	55
Size:	415.7 KB
ID:	322218
Old 11-27-2018, 05:09 AM   #11
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedingRain View Post
I got this laptop new in March 2016. It's a Dell Inspiron 5559.

It struggled to reach maximum speed at first, often resting at the usual 0.41 GHz with brief spikes of 2.0 GHz or more, but right around ten minutes of test runtime, it shot up to 2.6 GHz and hovered there.
After 15 minutes of run time and it still hovering at 2.6 GHz, I decided to remove the power cable for a minute to see what would happen to processor speed, and I've posted the result. Not sure if it's relevant, but I figured I'd post it.
After the power cable was replaced, the CPU speed went up to 2.6 GHz and stayed there steady until I turned the test off at 21 min runtime. Max temp 84C.

You know, this the first time in the two and a half years I've had this laptop that I've ever even heard the cooling fan. Quieter than a library I tell you.

Here's the screenshot of everything.
Attachment 322218
You should strongly consider replacing that hard disk drive. It's S.M.A.R.T stats indicate that it has had 728 bad sectors (364KB capacity) reallocated. This is still below the threshold, but I wouldn't take chances with it because bad sectors can increase at a high rate and/or cause head problems, leading to further deterioration in the hard drive's health and performance, as evidenced by the high number of UltraDMA CRC Error Count and Write Error Rate. The average service life of a hard drive is 3 years and yours is almost reaching that age. If you haven't already, I strongly recommend you backup your important stuff before it's too late.

I noticed disk 0 is at 100% activity on Task Manager's screenshot. It shouldn't be that high during Prime95 stress testing, unless something else disk-intensive was running in the background, such as an AV scan. I suggest you keep a keen eye on the disk activity when things become slow while doing things that should be really fast. For example, you mentioned sometimes it gets so slow that Task Manager won't open or takes extremely long. Try opening Notepad while watching the disk activity. It shouldn't take long to open and the HDD activity should not even reach 30%. If the slightest of action keeps the disk at 100% activity, then that is the problem and not the processor. Loading new webpages tasks the CPU just as much as it does the HDD, so if the HDD is struggling, the CPU won't be getting data to process as fast as it should, hence the seemingly low performance.

HWMonitor, as well as Task Manager, report a (maximum) speed of 2.99GHz, which is correct for your CPU and shows it's speedstepping just fine. Temps are also well below critical and the fan is running sufficiently fast, so it's not a thermal throttling problem. My bet is on the hard drive. If you happen to have a spare lying around, try installing a fresh copy of Windows on it and see how it goes.
Old 11-27-2018, 10:55 AM   #12
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stancestans View Post
You should strongly consider replacing that hard disk drive. The average service life of a hard drive is 3 years and yours is almost reaching that age. If you haven't already, I strongly recommend you backup your important stuff before it's too late.

HWMonitor, as well as Task Manager, report a (maximum) speed of 2.99GHz, which is correct for your CPU and shows it's speedstepping just fine. Temps are also well below critical and the fan is running sufficiently fast, so it's not a thermal throttling problem. My bet is on the hard drive. If you happen to have a spare lying around, try installing a fresh copy of Windows on it and see how it goes.
Okay I've copied all my files onto an external drive (wow, I haven't even used 400GB of space) And I know someone who can help me replace the HDD.
How would I install a new copy of windows? Don't I have to pay for that?
Old 11-27-2018, 12:21 PM   #13
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

First format the new disc in Disc Management. If it doesn't matter to you, just accept the NTFS defaults. Uncheck Compression. Rather than going through the steps to make an ISO, maybe your friend can make it on their computer using portable media. Just tell him/her what version of Windows you had like Home or Pro. Windows is licensed to your MOBO so the ISO should install, but you might or might not be asked for your product key. If you don't have it, Microsoft can still help via phone call.

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Old 11-27-2018, 10:41 PM   #14
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

If you opt to do it yourself, Windows 10 is available for download freely. Simply go to https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...load/windows10 and download the media creation tool, then use it to create a bootable Windows 10 installation USB flash disk or ISO disc image which you can burn onto a blank DVD or use to create a bootable flash disk with other tools such as Rufus.
Old 12-01-2018, 02:52 PM   #15
Registered Member

If its a Dell with original factory install, there should be an option to create recovery media.. whether DVD's or a flash drive version.. easiest way to recreate the system.
Recovery usually found under Dell in All Programs in the start menu...

Or go here...

https://www.dell.com/support/article...-drive?lang=en
Old 02-18-2019, 08:10 AM   #16
Registered Member

Just had the HDD replaced with a new SSD and had the shop perform a clean install of Windows 10. The CPU no longer locks out at low speed, the Drive is no longer overloaded, computer runs smooth and fast, and also several other problems I was just sort of dealing with have magically vanished. it's like I've got a brand new computer.
Old 02-20-2019, 04:29 AM   #17
Registered Member

i have the same problem....
Old 02-20-2019, 05:44 AM   #18
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonessx666 View Post
mine needed a new SSD and a clean install. I recommend backing up your data and trying one or both of these.
Old 02-20-2019, 08:19 AM   #19
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonessx666 View Post
If you have a issue you require help with please make a thread of your own, hijacking other folks threads is considered impolite forum etiquette.

Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth.
Closed Thread