Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU

User Tag List

CPU Problems?? PLEASE HELP!

This is a discussion on CPU Problems?? PLEASE HELP! within the Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. A while back I purchased an ATI TV Wonder card to watch and record TV on my XP Media Center

Closed Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 09:17 AM   #1

A while back I purchased an ATI TV Wonder card to watch and record TV on my XP Media Center HP machine. When I installed the card I removed the cover because it was very dusty inside. I then unhooked the CPU fan and took out the 4 screws holding in the fan/heat sink so could blow out the heat sink fins. I put everything back together the way it was and when I turned it on the CPU fan would fun at 100% every time you got on there and did something as simple as open up an internet browser or as complicated as watch and record TV. Only when the computer is in idle does the fan slow down. I also noticed when I was doing something that bogged the computer down (watch and record a TV show) the computer would just shut down and restart without warning.

I have since then restored factory settings on the computer and removed the ATI card, but the problems still exist. I have learned to live with the high fan speed, but I became frustrated once again, this time while playing Spore. I have all the graphics settings set to low, but if I change the game resolution from 800x600 to my widescreen resolution of 1680x1050 (I believe) the computer will shut down and restart without any warning thus forcing me to change the resolution back to 800x600.

Sorry for the long winded description. If anyone has ANY suggestions that might help, that would be great. If you have any questions about my PC, let me know. Thanks for any and all help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2008, 09:34 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Anytime you take off a heat sink, the old thermal compound must be completely cleaned off and new applied. You are overheating, classic symptoms, first it slows down and if that doesn't lower the temperatures it shuts down as if someone has yanked the cord out of the wall. Here's the instructions from Arctic Silver. I use either Arctic Silver 5 or Arctic Cooling MX-2, both are excellent, but whatever you can procure will do. Remember that too much is as bad as too little.
https://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_s...structions.htm
Old 10-20-2008, 08:09 PM   #3

Fully agree with grim. It even sounds like the heat sink might not even be all the way down on the cpu. Follow the link from grim and just take your time and make sure everything is in place.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2008, 04:59 AM   #4

I bought some paste last night and went through the directions. That seemed to fix it. The computer now runs really quiet like it use to and everything on the computer seems to run more smooth.

ONE PROBLEM THOUGH..... I booted up SPORE and put the resolution on 1680x1050 because I have a 22" widescreen monitor, it worked good for about 30 seconds and the fan stayed quite, then all of a sudden it just shut down like it did before (like you just pulled the power plug) and rebooted itself. I check to make sure the CPU fan was running in case I messed something up and it is. Any ideas?
Old 10-21-2008, 04:24 PM   #5
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Maybe it's a Spore thing, have a 22" ws here as well (SyncMaster 2253BW). I launched spore and went into the settings and it's set on 1024x768. Try that and see if it crashes.
Have you tried to monitor your temps, just in case? Try running Core Temp and see if it's idling at a good temperature. Then leave core temp open and run something to get your cpu working at 100%, if it doesn't crash, then it's a spore thing. You can do something like running a couple threads of Prime95, but your probably better off running a bunch of cpu intensive programs at the same time. Keep an eye on your temperatures during this, it should go over 50C. and if it does, it shouldn't be by much. Close programs if it looks like it's getting near and may hit 60C. The other thing besides paste that can cause excessive cpu temps is if the heatsink is not solid. It should not move at all. Just one loose leg can have quite an effect.
I'm inclined to think that it is a Spore issue, as your fan should of sped up if the cpu got too hot. That it is staying quiet now doesn't sound like heat.
Old 10-22-2008, 06:45 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimx133 View Post
Maybe it's a Spore thing, have a 22" ws here as well (SyncMaster 2253BW). I launched spore and went into the settings and it's set on 1024x768. Try that and see if it crashes.
Have you tried to monitor your temps, just in case? Try running Core Temp and see if it's idling at a good temperature. Then leave core temp open and run something to get your cpu working at 100%, if it doesn't crash, then it's a spore thing. You can do something like running a couple threads of Prime95, but your probably better off running a bunch of cpu intensive programs at the same time. Keep an eye on your temperatures during this, it should go over 50C. and if it does, it shouldn't be by much. Close programs if it looks like it's getting near and may hit 60C. The other thing besides paste that can cause excessive cpu temps is if the heatsink is not solid. It should not move at all. Just one loose leg can have quite an effect.
I'm inclined to think that it is a Spore issue, as your fan should of sped up if the cpu got too hot. That it is staying quiet now doesn't sound like heat.
Core Temp wouldn't work on my machine for some reason. I don't think my processor was supported. I downloaded Speed Fan and temp looked to be around 49-C and when I started up Prime 95 the temp got up to 60-C but stayed at that level. Let it run for about 15 minutes and everything looked to be alright. Fan speed was around 2100 RPM (if I remember right). Think it could be a video card issue then?
Old 10-22-2008, 06:56 AM   #7

Forgot to mention.....with Speed fan, it doesn't give me a temp reading for the "CPU", I was going off the "REMOTE" temperature cause that is the only one that would fluctuate when the computer was put load.
Old 10-22-2008, 09:18 AM   #8
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Wonder if it's a sensor issue, speedfan works kind of wierd for me too. I tried hardware monitor recently, seemed good gice that one a shot. https://www.cpuid.com/hwmonitor.php 49C. would be ok for a load temp, but I wouldn't want to be there all the time. Video card is a possibility, but if everything else works except spore, it doesn't sound like the hardware, more like it would be the driver. Do you have the latest? Or did you install the driver that came with the card? Then there's always the power supply, HP isn't exactly known for providing an abundance of power. Did the machine come with just onboard video? What's the exact model of the HP, so we can look at what they give for specs. And when you're inside it, note down the model, wattage and output(amps) for the 12volt rail(s).
Old 10-23-2008, 07:33 AM   #9

Quote:
Wonder if it's a sensor issue, speedfan works kind of wierd for me too. I tried hardware monitor recently, seemed good gice that one a shot. https://www.cpuid.com/hwmonitor.php 49C. would be ok for a load temp, but I wouldn't want to be there all the time. Video card is a possibility, but if everything else works except spore, it doesn't sound like the hardware, more like it would be the driver. Do you have the latest? Or did you install the driver that came with the card? Then there's always the power supply, HP isn't exactly known for providing an abundance of power. Did the machine come with just onboard video? What's the exact model of the HP, so we can look at what they give for specs. And when you're inside it, note down the model, wattage and output(amps) for the 12volt rail(s).

Alright, here is what i have for ya. I have a direct link to the site that has all the specs for my machine (see below). I have also attached 4 things; A test that shows what is in the machine, two pictures from HW Monitor with idle readings and after running Prime 95 for 10 minutes, and 2 pictures of Speed Fan with idle readings and after running prime 95 for 10 minutes. I hope some of this helps. I was playing Spore last night and under 800 X 600 video mode after playing for 10 minutes it shut off on me (meanining the whole computer shuts down like it was unplugged from power). So it started back up and I loaded spore again and played for an hour without any problems. This thing is KILLING ME!

https://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/prodinfoCategory?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&product=3189592
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HP Info0001.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	174.0 KB
ID:	35226   Click image for larger version

Name:	Idle Temp - HW Monitor.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	35227   Click image for larger version

Name:	10 min prime 95 - HW Monitor.JPG
Views:	37
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	35228  

Click image for larger version

Name:	idle temp - speed fan.JPG
Views:	39
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	35229   Click image for larger version

Name:	10 min prime 95 - Speed Fan.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	35230  
Old 10-23-2008, 02:16 PM   #10
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Your Belarc report shows the onboard video instead of the card. Check in device manager, start-control panel-system-hardware-device manager or you can get to it by start - right click on my computer - select manage - then click device manager in the left hand pane. Then check the right hand pane for display adapters. Expand that and it should list the card, right clicking that and selecting properties will tell you if it's working and driver information. If it just shows the onboard video, then the card isn't installed. That could be the resolution problem.
Old 10-23-2008, 02:26 PM   #11

Quote:
Your Belarc report shows the onboard video instead of the card. Check in device manager, start-control panel-system-hardware-device manager or you can get to it by start - right click on my computer - select manage - then click device manager in the left hand pane. Then check the right hand pane for display adapters. Expand that and it should list the card, right clicking that and selecting properties will tell you if it's working and driver information. If it just shows the onboard video, then the card isn't installed. That could be the resolution problem.
I don't have a separate card. I believe all I have is the integrated video (integrated graphics, same thing?) that came with the computer. I pulled out the ATI media card that allowed me to watch TV on it. Do you think that is the problem? That I need a separate (non-integrated) video card that would support games better?
Old 10-23-2008, 02:35 PM   #12
Administrator
Team Manager, Gaming
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
Team Manager, Hardware Team
Microsoft MVP

Go here select Spore from the list post back what the report tells you> https://www.systemrequirementslab.com/referrer/srtest
Old 10-23-2008, 02:55 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrench97 View Post
Go here select Spore from the list post back what the report tells you> https://www.systemrequirementslab.com/referrer/srtest
Here is the results:
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Can You RUN It - Results.pdf (503.6 KB, 16 views)
Old 10-23-2008, 03:02 PM   #14
TSF Enthusiast

My System

OK, my bad, thought that you had some form of ATI All-In-Wonder. Could be that spore limits resolution based on the video solution present, don't have onboard, so I can't test it out.

edit: looks like you're just over the minimum, probably only able to run it on lower resolutions and quality.
Old 10-23-2008, 03:21 PM   #15
Administrator
Team Manager, Gaming
Microsoft MVP

If it's shutting off on intensive operations I would check the PSU after seeing that the temps appear ok. Maybe Core Temp would help reading the temp> https://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/
Old 10-23-2008, 03:42 PM   #16

Quote:
If it's shutting off on intensive operations I would check the PSU after seeing that the temps appear ok. Maybe Core Temp would help reading the temp> https://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/
2 things: Core Temp doesn't work on my machine and I have no idea what "PSU" is.

Also, last night when I was playing Spore, I checked the temp right when I was in the middle of gameplay and the temp showed fine. Wasn't running excessive at all.
Old 10-23-2008, 04:08 PM   #17
Administrator
Team Manager, Gaming
Microsoft MVP

OK that will eliminate temp as a problem.
PSU = Power Supply Unit yours is a 300w pretty standard on a integrated graphics prebuild
If you want to upgrade to a video card you will need to upgrade the PSU, yours may be getting weak now and causing the problem your having, It just shuts down and doesn't blue screen right?
Old 10-23-2008, 08:37 PM   #18

Quote:
OK that will eliminate temp as a problem.
PSU = Power Supply Unit yours is a 300w pretty standard on a integrated graphics prebuild
If you want to upgrade to a video card you will need to upgrade the PSU, yours may be getting weak now and causing the problem your having, It just shuts down and doesn't blue screen right?
Correct. It just shuts down like you pull the power plug out of the back of it. No blue screen, no warning.
Closed Thread