Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU

User Tag List

CPU 'overheating' computer doesn't power up.

This is a discussion on CPU 'overheating' computer doesn't power up. within the Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. My brother's computer (Intel Celeron 2.2ghz, 512 ram, Intel Desktop Motherboard D845GLVA) has recently stopped even powering up, first signs

Closed Thread

Old 10-27-2006, 03:23 PM   #1

My brother's computer (Intel Celeron 2.2ghz, 512 ram, Intel Desktop Motherboard D845GLVA) has recently stopped even powering up, first signs were an error message coming up saying that the CPU had previously overheated and the computer kept powering off. Now the computer will not power up, is this the CPU or Motherboard, or neither?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2006, 03:36 PM   #2
I helped the forums.

OS: XP-Pro Sp2 & XP-Pro Sp2 Tablet Edition, Vista Ultimate, Win 7

My System

You may have fried the cpu or mobo by ignoring the overtemp warning....However Intel cpu's are pretty hard to fry....open up the case after you unplug the computer and blow out all the dust you find, power back up, stick a fan to blow into the case and check that your cpu and case fans operate. You may have to redo the thermal paste on the cpu cooler....use some artic silver 5 thermal compund and consider a beter cpu cooler....check Zalman out for that.
Old 10-27-2006, 03:50 PM   #3

When we turn the power back on only the light on the front of the case and one on the motherboard comes on now, the fans don't spin and nothing else seems to happen apart from those two lights coming on.

Edit: We found that the CPU fan was plugged on to a case fan socket, could this mean that the computer thought that the cpu was overheating when in fact it was just the fan in the wrong socket. Also as an extra thought could the switch on the case be faulty as the machine does not even power up (apart from two LED lights on the case and the motherboard)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2006, 02:37 PM   #4
Moderator Hardware Team

OS: WinME, WinXP Pro SP3, Win7(x64), Linux distros incl. Ubuntu 9.10 & Netbook Remix & CD2USB, Slax6.1

My System

Try swapping the RESET & POWER connectors on the mobo, then see if the Mobo comes on by using the RESET vrather than the power switch.

Overheating will be sensed by a thermocouple on the mobo near the CPU, Connecting to the wrong fan point will mean that the fan speed will be controlled by the wrong sensor, so if the CPU was HOT and the sensor for the position assingned to the fan was cool then the fan wouldn't be forced to spin faster. Cooling would be inadequate if the fan wasn't spinning at full speed.

You could try removing power completely for a couple of hours and see if that helps.
Check your motherboard for swollen capacitors .. domed heads on the cans maybe with some discolouration. If there are any that are domed or with colouring .. you either need to fix it or get a new mobo.
Try another Power supply but make sure you put your fans into the correct socket first. Make sure you fit all power plugs into the mobo according to the manual. Don't just fit the 20 pin .. unless it ONLY has a 20 pin on the mobo.
Old 10-31-2006, 02:48 PM   #5

We took all components out and tested the power supply (250W, posted on PSU section of this site about maybe under powered PSU causing the problems https://www.techsupportforum.com//har...0w-enough.html) the motherboard booted up out of the machine. It now appears to be working without overheating, we have now plugged the fan in correctly and think this may have been the cause of the overheating (based on your advice and that we have tested the PSU) Thanks for all your help :)
Old 11-01-2006, 05:17 AM   #6
Moderator Hardware Team

OS: WinME, WinXP Pro SP3, Win7(x64), Linux distros incl. Ubuntu 9.10 & Netbook Remix & CD2USB, Slax6.1

My System

If you removed the mnotherboard to test it out of the PC case , I hope you checked for unwanted mountings that might be "almost" touching the mobo .. heat will cause things to expand and this can allow the board to warp fractionally, enough to cause a short.

Re PSU .. check against the advice given. There are "good" rogues that manage to keep you going .. there are bad rogues that end up punching a nasty black hole in most of the semiconductors on your mobo, including CPU.
It's all a question of how much you put on your system.

I have a PIII 800MHz running quite well (so far!) on a cheap 350W psu. I have CD-RW, DVD, 2 sometimes 3 HDD's, Internal FAX modem, USB Modem, Interface for Eprom Programmer, NVidia 32MB AGP.. I have also got extra fans blowing across my caps on the mobo to see if they last longer before replacing. I can't remember how long I have had the mobo .. but I remember changing caps twice, because they were bulging at the top. Must have had this about 5 years ... but not sure any more!

Just remember .... It's not worth saving a couple of bucks on the PSU when you end up using the whole of your next salary cheque to replace your system!

Good luck
Old 03-15-2009, 06:28 PM   #7

I recently had a lot of trouble with my computer over-heating. My computer also wouldn't start up at one point. If it is overheating, you will need to let it cool before you restart.

I found a great article entitled "PC Heat Stroke: What to do when your computer overheats" at

I ended up needing to install a new PSU (fan died).

Good Luck!
Closed Thread