Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios & CPU

User Tag List

CPU overheat causing graphical issues?

This is a discussion on CPU overheat causing graphical issues? within the Motherboards, Bios & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi. I've got a problem, wich I think may be related to my CPU. Yesterday, while playing The lord of

Closed Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 06:17 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hi.

I've got a problem, wich I think may be related to my CPU.

Yesterday, while playing The lord of the rings online, this happened: https://i.imgur.com/BaeON.jpg

Normally, I thought it was my graphics card causing the problem. Checked the temperature with speedfan, and it was sitting steady around 55 celsius (idling at 40). Tested a known good graphics card, same problem. Updated Nvidia drivers for both cards, still the same problem. Tried some older archived drivers, no change.

Friend told me that maybe it was the PSU that didn't put out enough power to the cards. Doubted that, since I recently bough a new one (700w Corsair one). Tested a new PSU just to be sure, but that wasen't the problem either.

Also tested my RAM, and other RAM from a friends computer that works.

The only thing that I noticed is that the CPU temperature gets high, it's idling around 40 celsius, but ingame, it was over 65 celsius, 69 was the highest I saw it go. My cpu fan was sitting at the same speed all the time tho, not going up or down. I can't change the speed of the fans with fanspeed since it doesn't support my mobo, only have it to keep track of temperature and the speed of the fans.

the cpu fan wont go faster then 3068 rpm, I know I had it spinning at 4800+ rpm before.

Went into BIOS, where I knew there was 2 configurations controlling fan speed. Q-fan smart and Cool n Quiet. Enabling both just lowered the fan speed and the cpu got even hotter, tried with one enabled and the other disabled, but running both disabled proved to give the highest fan speed. After enabling and disabling them a few times and several restarts later, the fan speed went up to 3200ish rpm, but still not higher, or lower.

Is there any possibility that cpu overheating can cause graphical issues?

I would like to increase my cpu fan speed anyway, noise from fans doesn't bother me since I'd rather have my computer as cool as possible, but I can't seem to increase the fan in anyway.

Anyone got any idea what to do?

Worth to mention should be that it occurs instantly in The lord of the rings online, and randomly or even not at all in other games. It started after I installed lord of the rings, but can a game cause this? I've contacted the support for the game (Turbine) but they doubt it's the game causing it, but they would try to help me anyway.

Would be thankful for any help or tips I can get.

Thanks in advance <3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2011, 06:39 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Hi Gregrer-

Yes I would agree that the PSU is not likely to be the issue. It's not a bad guess on your friend's part, but the two things we look for don't seem to be the issue in your case, which would be wattage and PSU quality. 700W is a pretty decent power output and Corsair is a high quality brand.

Also the fact that it doesn't happen in any other game rules out your graphics card (it would be persistent). Your CPU getting that hot is definitely an issue whether it's causing this graphics display or not. You need to check your CPU:

-Is thermal paste on it?

-If so, is the thermal paste wet or dry?

-Is there any clearance between the CPU and the heat sink assembly, because there shouldn't be

-What type of CPU are we talking about here?

-Try investing in a better cooling system if your fan/heat sink is stock

It certainly looks and sounds like overheating to me.
Old 06-02-2011, 06:49 PM   #3
Registered Member

Thanks for the quick reply!

I will check the things you said tomorrow when I wake up.

AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 6000+ 3.00Ghz

"Also the fact that it doesn't happen in any other game rules out your graphics card"

It did happen, but only for a few seconds in League of Legends. Also copied Age of Conan(wich was the most demanding game we had acces to at this moment) from my friend, running it on max settings with no graphic issues occuring for for whole 20 min I tested it.

EDIT: Did a system restore also, since it all occured after I installed Lotro. No idea if it will change anything, will see tomorrow.

Thank you for helping!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2011, 07:16 PM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

My System

No problem.

I saw you mentioned it happened rarely/infrequently with other games. This might be consistent with overheating if those other games are less system intensive than LOTR.

An Athlon 2x is certainly capable of being powered by a 700W Corsair. So yeah, I think power is not your problem.

Just to be sure, are there graphics settings you can mess with in the game or on your graphics card program? Not likely to help, but it's worth looking into.
Old 06-03-2011, 10:09 AM   #5
Registered Member

Applied new thermal paste, no heat decrease. Bought a new fan for the cpu, no change.

The rpm is still stuck at 3068, it refuses to change. I can't control it through BIOS either it seems, or maybe I don't know how to do.

Making me believe that there is some settings I need to change, but don't know wich ones.
Old 06-03-2011, 10:19 AM   #6
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

what are you running
video card
cpu
m/board
ram
power supply
brand
model
wattage

check the listings in the bios for voltages and temperatures and post them

did you apply the paste correctly,to much is as bad as none

Arctic Silver Incorporated - Route to Product Instructions for Arctic Silver 5

Old 06-03-2011, 12:00 PM   #7
Registered Member

Nvidia gforce 9800GTX
AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 6000+ 3.00Ghz
2 GB RAM
ASUS M2V-MX SE
Corsair GS 700W PSU

CPU TEMPERATURE 57 celcius
MB TEMPERATURE 46 celcius
CPU FAN SPEED 3068RPM
VCORE VOLTAGE 1.4V
3.3V 3.312V
5V 5.068V
12V 11.712V
Got these readings after letting it sit for 15 minutes.

Applied the thermal paste as I've always done, paper thin layer.
Old 06-03-2011, 12:46 PM   #8
Administrator
Team Manager, Gaming
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
Team Manager, Hardware Team
Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

11.712 on the 12v is a little low for a bios reading, the GS and CX Corsair models are not recommended the TX, HX, AX are much better models.

The CPU is too warm, redo the thermal paste too much is as bad as too little paste.
Arctic Silver Incorporated - Route to Product Instructions for Arctic Silver 5
Old 06-05-2011, 01:52 PM   #9
Registered Member

I've reapplied the thermal paste, still no change in heat. The fan speed is still locked at 3068, any idea how I can get it to run faster?

Also, played the new game Hunted, the demon's forge yesterday with a friend for about 4 hours, not even a single graphical glitch, no nothing. Yet I still get it in league of legends, wich is far from as demanding as Hunted is.

This is all making me confused. I get the errors in the games that's less demanding it seems like :S
Old 06-05-2011, 02:16 PM   #10
Administrator
Team Manager, Gaming
Microsoft MVP

3000 is about full speed for the fan.
Is the top of the CPU and bottom of the heat sink flat and not nicked or dented?

What does HW Monitor show for the 12v reading in windows?
Old 06-05-2011, 04:01 PM   #11
Registered Member

The fan has been running at 4800+ before. The top of the CPU and the bottom of the heat sink is flat.

CPU VCORE
+12V

Value

Min

Max
Old 06-05-2011, 04:05 PM   #12
Administrator
Team Manager, Gaming
Microsoft MVP

That's better for a 12v reading.

Is this a retail motherboard or OEM?
If it's retail you can set the fan speed to 100% in the Bios.
Old 06-05-2011, 04:10 PM   #13
Registered Member

Not sure what OEM is, but I bought at a comp store, so I guess it's retail.

But since I can't find any option to put my fan to 100% in BIOS I'm not sure :/
Old 06-05-2011, 04:17 PM   #14
Administrator
Team Manager, Gaming
Microsoft MVP

What brand and model motherboard?
Old 06-05-2011, 04:21 PM   #15
Registered Member

ASUS M2V-MX SE

Went into BIOS to look for anything related to the CPU fan:
Cool n Quiet
Smart Q-FAN function
BIOS shows the fan running at 3214 RPM, while now in windows, it's back to 3068.
Old 06-05-2011, 04:31 PM   #16
Administrator
Team Manager, Gaming
Microsoft MVP

Set Smart Q fan to enabled and Save and Reboot back into the bios, you should then have the Auto Fan mode entry below the q fan setting set the full speed temp to 50c the start speed temp to the lowest allowed or 20c.
Old 06-05-2011, 04:44 PM   #17
Registered Member

CPU temp 60 celsius (non idle, launched a program to get it up), fan speed 2961 rpm.

With smart q fan enabled, full speed 51 (lowest allowed) and start speed temp set to 25 (lowest allowed)
Old 06-05-2011, 04:52 PM   #18
Administrator
Team Manager, Gaming
Microsoft MVP

Did you try overclocking or changing any voltage settings in the bios?

Is the heatsink the correct one for the CPU?
Old 06-05-2011, 04:57 PM   #19
Registered Member

Haven't overclocked anything, never tried since I don't know how to do it, and therefor I left it at that. Haven't changed any voltage settings that I know of.

Haven't switched the heat sink since I bought the computer, so I am assuming it's the right one.
Old 06-05-2011, 05:16 PM   #20
TSF - Enthusiast

My System

Seeing as your not overclocking you can set your cpu vcore to 1.35v. It is now set at 1.4v. That will lower the temp alittle. The thermal limit for your cpu is 70c. Those 90nm Windsor core Athon X2's were known to run on the warm side.