Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU

User Tag List

CPU i3

This is a discussion on CPU i3 within the Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hey guys, I have recently installed Windows 10, upgraded my old HDD to a SSD and then added the HDD

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By bassfisher6522

Old 05-29-2020, 10:49 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hey guys,

I have recently installed Windows 10, upgraded my old HDD to a SSD and then added the HDD to the DVD drive using a caddy to the one Laptop.

I want to know if both SSD and HDD are being used does this increase your CPU performance? I've been monitoring it since than and it sometimes go over 50%?

Any suggestions or this how much Windows 10 is using to run?
comeatme2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2020, 02:31 PM   #2
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

The Task Manager will tell you CPU usage.

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Corday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 01:48 AM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corday View Post
The Task Manager will tell you CPU usage.
Um yea that was the first thing I did?

Again any expert know why CPU goes over 50%?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2020, 04:53 AM   #4
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

Again, look at the individual items in the Task Manager (Processes) under CPU to see what's going on. If you minimize it, you can watch while doing other things by sliding it around the screen. Resting CPU. rate is about 2% which accounts for Windows 10. Sudden spikes are for assigned tasks. There are 3rd party tools to check latency, but if you only go over 50% off and on it's not a serious problem.

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Corday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 05:14 AM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corday View Post
Again, look at the individual items in the Task Manager (Processes) under CPU to see what's going on. If you minimize it, you can watch while doing other things by sliding it around the screen. Resting CPU. rate is about 2% which accounts for Windows 10. Sudden spikes are for assigned tasks. There are 3rd party tools to check latency, but if you only go over 50% off and on it's not a serious problem.
Yes, that's what I meant. I checked it and it would sometimes go to 100%, but on rest it goes down to 1-3% as you said.

Yea I can see clearly that Google Chrome is doing the most damage even memory is showing almost 3000mb? That's 3gb is that right?

Do you guys use Chrome? Maybe I should it with other browsers and see which of them uses more CPU, and Memory? Well I do have 10 tabs open

Might try Firefox.
Old 05-30-2020, 06:41 AM   #6
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team

Those are normal parameters of a low end laptop. On the intel side low ends start with the i3 CPU, the mid level laptops with i5 and high end with the i7.....just as a general rule of thumb.

So what you're experiencing is quite normal as that CPU with it's low end specs is being pushed/worked harder on doing every day regular tasks. Think of your CPU as an engine in a car. You have your Hybrid motor aka i3...your standard gas engine in almost every car....akd i5....then your sports car engines....aka i7....then your luxury sports cars....Lambo, MeClairen and so on....aka i9. When you step on the gas pedal for eahc you have a pretty good idea of what the take off is like. Same for CPU's.
Deejay100six likes this.
Old 05-30-2020, 08:48 AM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassfisher6522 View Post
Those are normal parameters of a low end laptop. On the intel side low ends start with the i3 CPU, the mid level laptops with i5 and high end with the i7.....just as a general rule of thumb.

So what you're experiencing is quite normal as that CPU with it's low end specs is being pushed/worked harder on doing every day regular tasks. Think of your CPU as an engine in a car. You have your Hybrid motor aka i3...your standard gas engine in almost every car....akd i5....then your sports car engines....aka i7....then your luxury sports cars....Lambo, MeClairen and so on....aka i9. When you step on the gas pedal for eahc you have a pretty good idea of what the take off is like. Same for CPU's.
I see. I've had it for years so will look into getting a new one in a few years, so a new and powerful computer or laptop for gaming too?