Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU

User Tag List

CPU heat sink (478)

This is a discussion on CPU heat sink (478) within the Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. All I would like to know is how to get this heat sink off: It's different than the usual two

Closed Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 02:17 PM   #1
Registered Member

All I would like to know is how to get this heat sink off:

It's different than the usual two little white levers. Instead there is just that big black one you see sticking off the side with a metal rod that goes through the middle to some kind of latch on the other side. So, do I pull up or push down?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2011, 03:50 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

You would push down and rotate the bottom of the latch away to unlatch the heatsink retention piece. It should then pop up.
Old 09-08-2011, 04:16 PM   #3
Registered Member

Could you further explain rotating the bottom of the latch away? Which part is the bottom? Maybe you could edit the picture with arrows?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2011, 05:49 PM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

There should be a piece that extends towards the motherboard and latches onto a piece of plastic or metal. When you push down on that flat black piece you should be able to rock the latch a little either way.

There should be quite a few videos on YouTube that show how to remove this type of heatsink.
Old 09-08-2011, 06:06 PM   #5
Registered Member

I searched Youtube for a long time before posting and couldn't find anything. Should I detach that bottom latch and use the other side of the rod where it connects as the axis to rotate it up and out of the way? I have to unscrew the fan right? Or can I keep it on? Once I solve my hard drive problem I'll actually start on this and be able to think as I go along.
Old 09-09-2011, 05:08 PM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

You should be able to leave the fan on although you can probably see more easily with it off. You should just have to push down on the flat black piece. Once you do you should see exactly how it moves.
Old 09-09-2011, 09:06 PM   #7
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

have you tried flipping the metal rod so it clears the fixed pin while pushing down on the black piece

Old 09-10-2011, 06:24 AM   #8
Registered Member

I haven't tried to open it yet because I realized the new CPU uses unsupported stepping. I have to order one with the same specs that is C1. Anyone interested in an Intel P4 SL6PP?

I have the new CPU (after returning a broken one) and am about to put it in but when I push down on that black tab/lever, nothing happens except the motherboard bending. Should I try pushing harder? It feels like the lever is bending.
Old 09-20-2011, 02:30 PM   #9
Administrator
Team Manager, Gaming
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
Team Manager, Hardware Team
Microsoft MVP

Make sure the CPU is inserted in the socket correctly(correct rotation), then make sure the locking clip pivot end is positioned on to the bracket fully.
Old 09-20-2011, 03:12 PM   #10
Registered Member

My problem right now is getting the heat sink off in the first place, not putting it back on again, but I'm sure I will eventually need help with that too.
Old 09-20-2011, 03:18 PM   #11
Administrator
Team Manager, Gaming
Microsoft MVP

What brand/model PC is it?

Normally you push down and unhook it from the bottom clip.
Old 09-20-2011, 03:43 PM   #12
Registered Member

It's a Comaq Presario 5320US. I get what you're saying now, but I can't get the bottom part of the latch off. There's this stupid little black heat sink underneath the lever that makes it really painful and hard to push and pull to the side. I tried pushing down and prying with a screwdriver from the back, and I got the heat sink to move for a moment, but I couldn't get the latch apart. Is there anywhere I can see a video?
Old 09-20-2011, 04:33 PM   #13
Administrator
Team Manager, Gaming
Microsoft MVP

I can't find a decent picture of the motherboard let alone a video of removing the heatsink:)

Some of those I remember pushing on the tab and unhooking the clip on the other side of heatsink.
Old 09-21-2011, 04:00 PM   #14
Registered Member

After exhausting my thumb pushing and pulling again, it really doesn't look like anything on the other side of the heat sink comes apart, just the latch underneath the lever, which I can't get open because of the odd angle and position. Is there a name for this kind of heat sink latch? Why can't I find any pictures or videos online at all, like I'm the only person with this setup? I really need a visual or at least another approach. People are counting on me to upgrade this computer.
Old 09-21-2011, 04:04 PM   #15
Administrator
Team Manager, Gaming
Microsoft MVP

It's generic to Compaq, about everyone else used the standard Intel dual clips.
Old 09-21-2011, 04:43 PM   #16
Registered Member

Apparently I was being too careful. My dad asked me what I was trying to do and I told him everything I had found out so far. He got the heat sink off almost instantly with just a little more elbow grease. The heat sink had one of those foil pads with a dark thermal compound on it. I cleaned it off and it looks very shiny and new now, but in tutorials and everything else I've read, they use isopropyl alcohol to clean the old heat sink. Is this really necessary? I used Goo Gone on it and it seems to be just fine. I don't have any alcohol...

I'm crossing my fingers to see if the new CPU works... I might have made history if it does.
Old 09-21-2011, 04:52 PM   #17
Administrator
Team Manager, Gaming
Microsoft MVP

Not familiar with Goo Gone but as long as it does not leave a residue you'll be fine.
Old 09-21-2011, 05:36 PM   #18
Registered Member

Goo Gone is pretty much my duct tape; I use it on everything sticky or gunky. You can get it at the hardware store.
Old 09-24-2011, 09:56 AM   #19
TSF Enthusiast

I may be too late for this one, but I'm pretty sure Goo Gone uses oil and definitely leaves a residue. I would not use it unless I had alcohol to clean it all off with afterwards, and I would do multiple clean ups with the alcohol to make sure all of the residue was gone. Although Goo Gone works much like other cleaners that come in aerosol form, it does not evaporate cleanly if at all.

Googled it to be sure, but it does use citrus oil (which is probably the same as the Articlean stuff) and I would definitely clean with alcohol afterwards. I do have to acknowledge that the residue when cleaning is likely of the adhesive being dissolved, and not necessarily Goo Gone.
Old 09-25-2011, 07:21 AM   #20
Registered Member

It looks like I'm going to have to use a different CPU anyways, so when I take this one out, I won't use Goo Gone because the thermal compound will be easier to get off than the residue from that pad.

My motherboard is some weird Compaq one, and there is no information on it online. I've searched using the model number many, many times in the past and have gotten no more information than I've told you, which points toward the fact that only Willamette cores can be used. What would you be using to search, wrench97? If it's not just Google and it is some secret database of motherboards then tell me, but I've ruled out the rest of the internet. In my first post on this thread, I said the board is made by Compaq and has the model number 077ch. I don't think all those complex numbers on a label near the CPU will do much good.

What I would really like to know is if theoretically we knew that this CPU would work in this motherboard, but I was experiencing the same problem, what would I do? And this excludes anything that points to me installing it the wrong way, because I know I did it right after watching many tutorials, and I'm not looking forward to a flood of posts that question my ability to simply lock in a CPU. If the answer is "nothing," then that just tells me the motherboard can't deliver the correct voltage to the Northwood core (or something else) and that I need to get an SL5TL, which I already have cued up to buy.

This whole idea of putting a Northwood core in this specific motherboard was just an experiment, but I know that the SL5TL will work for sure.
Closed Thread