Status
Not open for further replies.

CPU Heat and fan speed

2K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  superflysmith 
#1 ·
hello there this is my first post plz help me cuz am in a big trouble
i have a P4 3ghz 1MB cashe 800 FSB intel 865PERL nvidia FX5200 512 ram
i have two fans one intake and 1 outtake
my problem is that my cpu is soooo hot its idle temp is 49(all the temp. in celcius)
and on load it reashes 72 and the intel active monitor keeps giving me allerts at that temp , my computer have this problem from the 1st day i bought it ( i've removed the processor from another mother board when i was buing cuz it wasnt working but i didnt replace the heat paste i just added to it) but the fan speed at that time (summer) was variable its idle is 3000 rpm and on load 4500 rpm so i thought that was some how normal ( temp that time was 47 ~ 65) and the real problem that the intel stock fan( i ve got boxed processor) doesnt increase its rpm now (winter) its fixed on 2650 ~ 2700 and doesnt increase its rpm even if the processor reaches 70 and gives alerts , i dont know what to do plz help me

G
#2 ·
Hi,

I think you gave us a real clue to your problem.

( i've removed the processor from another mother board when i was buing cuz it wasnt working but i didnt replace the heat paste i just added to it)
I hate to be the one to tell you, but you need to take the CPU off and clean off all the old thermal grease with alcohol and be careful not to get it on anything else like the cpu pins or the motherboard. Then replace it with some Artic Silver and would almost bet that would solve your problem. Too much paste is as bad or worse than no paste at all and putting another layer on there is not good for your problem. Hope this helps and here is a link that you need to read:

http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions.htm

G
#4 ·
Hi,

That is the problem with the fan also. My theory is that the extra paste is acting as a barrier instead of transferring heat, so the fan area is relatively cool while the CPU is hot since it can't transfer heat up.

#5 ·
Also if the cpu is prescot (? spelling) based it will run hot...Carefull consideration for cooling should be observed.

MD

G
#7 ·
Hi,

With Artic Silver, it may take a few days for the actual usual temps to begin to steady to what they are going to be. I would wait a few because with those temps, you are not going to hurt anything. Those temps are still a little high, but nothing to worry about for right now....just monitor it. Then, if you are not satisfied, get an aftermarket fan for the heatsink that (be sure to look for a quite one) cools even more. There are dozens out there and many are using the Volcano fans.

#8 ·
I had high temps with my 3.4 until I put in a thermal take tower 112, two tornado fans, and some artic silver 5. Now I idle at 30 and the upper 40's with a load. At idle I have my fans turned way down as to not make me go deaf.

I'm also oc'ing my processor to 3.75

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.