Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU

User Tag List

CPU frequencies, PC restarting

This is a discussion on CPU frequencies, PC restarting within the Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Yesterday, I built my first pc, I got it working, installed all the drivers that were needed. I did the

Closed Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 03:43 PM   #1
Registered Member

Yesterday, I built my first pc, I got it working, installed all the drivers that were needed. I did the system rating from the properties of my competer. The CPU fan was making really loud noise and when it was almost at the end, then the PC shut down. So I started it again and downloaded AMD Overdrive, and from there I checked my CPU temps. they were normal, about 30-40, but I noticed that the frequencies were jumping up and down, at one point they were at 1400 mhz and then the other point they were at 4000 mhz (my CPU is AMD FX 8150 3,6 Ghz), which is really odd. When gaming then the cpu temps were 50-60 but the fan was making really loud noises again (I have the stock cpu cooler). And then it restarted again, when i quit the game and was installing programs, and later when just browsing web, it restarted again. But the other weird thing is that dxdiag and CPU-Z were only telling that my graphics card is AMD Radeon HD 6900 series (I have CLUB3D Radeon HD 6950), no more information and AMD Catalyst Control Center showed that the GPU's power usage is 0% which is also odd. In few days I will get my PC to someone who knows more about computers than I do, but I'm just thinking maybe there's a simple fix to my issue.

System specs:

CPU: AMD FX 8150 3,6 Ghz (stock cooler)
GPU: CLUB3D Radeon HD 6950 2GB GDDR5 Coolstream Edition
RAM: Kingston 2x4GB DDR3 1333 Mhz
MB: GIGABYTE 970a-D3T
PSU: Chieftec CFT-600-14CS (600w)
HDD: Hitatchi 1TB SATA3 7200rpm
Chassis: Thermaltake Commander MS-I (1 rear outtake ventilator)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2012, 03:46 PM   #2
Emeritus

Primary suspect would be the very poor quality underpowered Chieftec PSU.
You need to be at 650W with a good quality PSU.
SeaSonic-XFX-Corsair (not the CX-GS-M Series).

Old 02-13-2012, 10:45 AM   #3
Registered Member

Would a bad PSU cause CPU frequencies jump up and down? And I don't know if it makes any difference what power cord I use, because yesterday I used another power cord that I had before, now I plugged in the power cord that came with the PSU.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2012, 10:53 AM   #4
Enthusiast

My System

a crap psu can cause all manner of problems and chieftec are worse than crap plus you need 650w not 600w and you need a good power supply such as corsair,xfx or seasonic.

Did you check the cpu is compatible with your motherboard?
Old 02-13-2012, 12:38 PM   #5
Registered Member

Why such bad reputation for chieftec PSU's? And yes, it should be, my motherboard's homepage says that they support AMD FX series just that i need to download the latest drivers, and I have F7 driver on it (F8 is the latest, but it's still beta).
Old 02-13-2012, 12:58 PM   #6
Enthusiast

My System

cheiftec are low quality i.e cheap rubbish.

when it comes to power supplies and most other technology cheap = crap.

cheiftec are renowned for damaging components and not being anywhere near the wattage they claim on the lable. Add up the amps on the label and see if it comes to wattage it say it is. I bet it doesn't.

The psu is the most important part of your pc, more important than any other components buy crap and you will get problems.
Old 02-14-2012, 07:57 AM   #7
Registered Member

Well, I think that the PSU is problematic, because I just found out that I accidentally took wrong PSU. I wanted to take Chieftec 650w PSU, which was way better and the price was 30 bucks higher too.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:32 AM   #8
Emeritus

You need a good quality PSU to avoid damage to other components.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyree View Post
You need to be at 650W with a good quality PSU.
SeaSonic-XFX-Corsair (not the CX-GS-M Series).

Old 02-14-2012, 11:27 AM   #9
Enthusiast

My System

what? you have a worse power supply than chieftec? thats quite an accomplishment.

You need a good make of psu such as the ones Tyree has mentioned.
Old 02-14-2012, 11:38 AM   #10
Registered Member

Well, I think that I got a answer to my question. But one more question, can I connect just a regular fan to the PWR fan slot? If yes, does it do anything different, or will it work the same like other fans?
Old 02-14-2012, 11:39 AM   #11
TSF - Enthusiast

My System

Upgrade to a PSU that Tyree suggested before you damage your other hardware. Chieftech power supplies should come with a fire extinguisher as they are complete junk. The Cpu frequency going up and down is cool and quiet which reduces the cpu's frequency depending on demand. The cpu also has turbo boost up to 4.2ghz which basicly disables some cores and run the ones in use at a higher frequency.
Old 02-14-2012, 11:40 AM   #12
Registered Member

No, I wanted to buy another chieftec PSU, not this chieftec PSU that I have right now and I'm reading that there's nothing wrong with chieftec, just they don't have nothing impressive nor something bad.
Old 02-14-2012, 11:44 AM   #13
Registered Member

Thanks Amd_Man, now I know that it's not the PSU that causes CPU frequencies to jump up and down. And yes, I'm still going to get a new PSU. But tell me, why does chieftec has such a bad reputation?
Old 02-14-2012, 11:46 AM   #14
Registered Member

My old PC had a Chieftec PSU and it worked fine for 4-5 years until I sold my PC.
Old 02-14-2012, 11:47 AM   #15
TSF - Enthusiast

My System

Think what you will, but I've seen reviews on them where they exploded and caught fire under load tests. If you value your hardware then you'll invest in a quality power supply. If you don't value the time and money you've invested in hardware then by all means get a very low quality chieftech.
Old 02-14-2012, 12:54 PM   #16
Enthusiast

My System

all chieftec power supplies are crap not just the one you have.

power supplies dont last forever and a chieftec lasting 5 years must have been one in a million.

The way you figure a psu is gonna be good or crap is the price cheap means crap and if anything have a name that sounds superior like cheiftec, powerman, winpower, huntkey means crap

I used to test power supplies for a living and like AMD man said I have seen them explode, I have seen them catch fire, I have seen them fail and damage every single component in a system apart from the hard drive.

Cheiftecs were renowned for damaging components, huntkey were renowned for exploding, winpower would burn out when pushed within 70% of their claimed wattage I could name many others.

But as all the people in the hardware forum would tell you Seasonic make the best power supplies, seasonic make xfx and they also make corsair (not the gs or cs series though),

I have my system overclocked to 4GHz with a slight voltage increase I have been running this way for 4 years now my system is 100% stable because I use a seasonic m700w psu. I guarantee you that even if I had a cheiftec 850w psu my system would either have died long ago or I would never have been able to overclock as the cheiftec would have blown something inside as soon as I raised the voltage.

I know you dont want to believe because you have spent money on what you think is a good psu and the truth hurts sometimes but take it from me a good psu is worth the money and second of all it is more important than any other piece of hardware you have even the cpu.
Old 02-14-2012, 01:40 PM   #17
Registered Member

Hmm, okay, I'm going to think about it. Tell me Corsair GS 700 and Corsair TX 650. Are they good? Which one is better?
Old 02-14-2012, 01:42 PM   #18
Registered Member

*Tell me about
Old 02-14-2012, 01:46 PM   #19
Enthusiast

My System

TX series are great because they are made by seasonic the gs series isn't as good
Old 02-14-2012, 01:58 PM   #20
TSF - Enthusiast

My System

Yes the TX series are good power supplies that carry a 5 year warranty.
Closed Thread