Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU

User Tag List

Computer used to run but now wont even respond to power on

This is a discussion on Computer used to run but now wont even respond to power on within the Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Ok heres the deal and its got me stumped. Just built a new 2.66ghz quad core on a DG33TL intel

Closed Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 05:47 PM   #1

Ok heres the deal and its got me stumped. Just built a new 2.66ghz quad core on a DG33TL intel board, and everything was fine. New Sata hard drive, and i installed windows xp onto it perfectly fine. Everything was good, cpu booted up, i could access bios and windows loaded fine. I was in the process of installing the motherboard drivers and it was about like 80% complete when i plugged in a headset (3.5mm plugs). i didnt think anything bad would occur. Well, i plugged it in and the computer had to restart cause of the new drivers. It shut down and never came back on.

At this point i became very angry lol. I'm A+ certified and i have tons of experience with building computers, but this is stumping me big time. I did notice that the antec trio PSU i had in there was a 430watt, not the 650 i actually did order (my stupidity for not looking at it first). I immediately thought to myself that maybe i blew out the PSU cause it was only a 430. Oh yeah, i also had a usb DLink wireless N adapter plugged into it as well, which is a big power sucker. Light on the mother board stays on as well

Things that i did to try and figure this problem out:
1) unplugged everything except the power to the motherboard, RAM, and CPU
2) borrowed a friends known working PSU 550watt to test it. that PSU powered up, then shut off and that was the end of it, never did anything else.
3)returned my antec 430watt and got 650watt, and it still wont respond. 4) checked my case power switch wires were correctly plugged into the mother board
5) reset bios
6) tested button cell battery

idk what else it could be besides me accidently shorting out the board due to a power surge of some sort. Just baffles me cause it was working fine. Honestly tho, im thinking it was the USB network adapter that affected it somehow cause it was when that was plugged in that the issue happened, the day before when it was working fine, i didnt have it plugged it. And the fact that it happened at the same time when i plugged my headphones in (which draws even more power from the board), makes me wonder.

anyone ever have something liek this happen? i dont want to have to send this board back and get a new one
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2007, 05:55 PM   #2
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

check the heatsink has not popped a leg
set it up out of the case where you can get a good look at everything

Old 12-29-2007, 06:12 PM   #3

just did that, took the heatsink off. i did notice that one of the legs was a little loose. i put it back in, tightened everything up, doublechecked everything, then i checked it again to be safe, and still nothing :(
Closed Thread