Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios & CPU

User Tag List

Computer rebooting every second

This is a discussion on Computer rebooting every second within the Motherboards, Bios & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi Techsupporforums, I had a problem recently with my computer restarting every second or so. I would turn it on

Closed Thread

Old 09-13-2018, 07:03 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi Techsupporforums,

I had a problem recently with my computer restarting every second or so. I would turn it on the lights to my GPU and CPU heatsink turns on. I hear my fans then no beep no display and it just restarts continuously. Eventually if I leave it rebooting for a while it would start up. The computer works fine once it starts up, I could play games watch movies without a hitch. It could even restart through the start menu but if I turn off the computer this would happen again. I am not sure if this is a faulty MOBO or something is short circuiting it.

This actually happened before a couple months ago and eventually it started up and i haven't shut down my computer since. But I forgot yesterday night and shut it down, and this morning it started doing it again.

Anyone has any suggestions? I've had this computer for around 5 years.

Thank you for taking your time to help me with my problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2018, 07:22 AM   #2
Windows Tech Team
Hardware Tech Team

Welcome to TSF..

Few things to check, start the PC, keep tapping F8 if Windows 7 or < then choose disable automatic restart on system failure in the advanced boot options and see if you get a BSOD.

Also, check if your CMOS battery has some issues, if it's an old mobo and the CMOS batt has never been replaced, you can try that as well.

This can also occur due to a heating effect, so use an Air can and clear dust and debris from the board and other components, use required safety measures and caution.

Last, I'd look to see if the CPU heatsink thermal paste has dried out, if so, replace with some good quality thermal paste..

Old 09-13-2018, 07:30 AM   #3
Registered Member

Thank you for helping me out. I am currently at work so I cannot right at this moment but if it is the CMOS battery can I get a general 3v one off amazon? Can I just take out the old one and put in the new one? or is there a procedure I should follow? I would like to try this solution first.

I did remember that when it happened last time a couple of months ago I recently installed the H100i Liquid CPU Cooler. I remember putting a good amount of artic silver 5. But if the CMOS battery is not the culprit Ill try reseating it with new paste.

Just wondering, you don't think it is a faulty MOBO right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2018, 07:34 AM   #4
Windows Tech Team
Hardware Tech Team

Yeah, you need to look for a CR2032 battery.. That is the model, get a good branded one and it's fairly simple to replace them..

If after repeat attempts you pc logs in, then immediately run speccy and quickly take a look at all the part temperatures, grab a screenshot and email it to yourself..

If you've recently applied thermal paste (correct method) then you should be ok... But the temps would help us understand better...

Yes, I would lean towards the Mobo, but it's a little too early.. With Mobo,you can never know if the issue is due to a Mobo/PSU/CPU unless there is a spare to test :S

Old 09-13-2018, 07:47 AM   #5
Registered Member

OK I will look into it. Just for reference I do check temps on my computer occasionally when I am gaming, and generally CPU is around 30-40C on idle and around 50-60C on load.

I did the line through the middle method not sure if that is the best method.

Thanks again!
Old 09-13-2018, 07:49 AM   #6
Windows Tech Team
Hardware Tech Team

Some go with a dot, the others with 3 lines, depends on what the thermal compound manufacturer provides in the instructions, should be ok.. Temps look good, so I'd rule that out, for the moment...

Old 09-15-2018, 01:15 PM   #7
Registered Member

So my battery came in and i replaced it as well as cleaned out the the tower and still the same thing. Im trying to start it up again as i post this. What i notice is the lights come on, fan comes on i hear the cd drive start up. Then it shuts off and repeats. No beep or anything. Not sure what the case is. Should i replace thermal paste in case?

Thanks again for helping me.
Old 09-15-2018, 01:22 PM   #8
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

Hi if you have another power supply I would try that.

Mark thread solved under thread tools when issue has been resolved.
Old 09-19-2018, 08:46 AM   #9
Registered Member

Hi i have tried another power supply and it was no help. Same thing keeps happening. Should i try to apply new paste to the cpu just in case?
Old 09-19-2018, 09:26 AM   #10
Windows Tech Team
Hardware Tech Team

Yeah, go for a good branded one... When you remove the heat sink, check if it's dried..

This could also be a faulty motherboard or CPU..

Do this before you change the paste.. Leave the computer off over night, morning, turn it on and immediately check if there is some difference.. Also check if the CPU fan is spinning..

A bench test might also not be a bad idea before you replace the paste..

Old 09-19-2018, 09:28 AM   #11
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

Sure give it a try. Also have you tried using one stick of ram where manual for motherboard says? Try each stick separately.

Old 09-19-2018, 11:01 AM   #12
Registered Member

I have tried the leaving computer off overnight and that didnt work. How do i go about bench testing the computer. Is it the same as breadboarding or like remove every component except for the necessary parts?
Old 09-19-2018, 11:42 AM   #13
Registered Member

I also noticed that the everytime the computer restarts the mbios light goes on one time then the next restart the bbios led goes on instead. Then keeps repeating
Old 09-19-2018, 03:46 PM   #14
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

https://www.techsupportforum.com/for...er-918754.html

Old 09-26-2018, 06:34 AM   #15
Registered Member

Thanks a lot for your help guys. It ended up being the mobo. I replaced it and everything is good.

Thanks again!
Closed Thread