Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios & CPU

User Tag List

Computer powered on by itself during power outage

This is a discussion on Computer powered on by itself during power outage within the Motherboards, Bios & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. A week or two ago my PC turned off by itself while there was no power outage, I replaced it's

Closed Thread

Old 11-09-2018, 06:14 PM   #1
TSF Enthusiast

A week or two ago my PC turned off by itself while there was no power outage, I replaced it's PSU assuming that was the cause but I really don't know as it came back by itself.

Today my PC turned on by itself while there was a power outage. When the power went out, I put my PC in hibernation, as I was doing stuff on my phone, I hear my computer's post beep, I look up and it's starting.

What would cause a PC to turn on by itself? I was nowhere near it so there's no way I accidentally hit it's power switch in the dark. I was considering going out to eat since I had no power, I'm glad I didn't as it could have drained my UPS's battery (I do have a UPS) if it hadn't gone back into hibernation by itself.

I had never, ever seen a PC turn on by itself until today.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2018, 03:49 AM   #2
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team

I'v experienced this a few times....but with my system I use sleep mode (manually). While on your PC, your PC could be downloading and installing updates in the background depending on your settings. Then on it's designated time to reboot to finish, it will do so. I have windows 10. I see you're running 7 but you don't say what the new build is running.
Old 11-10-2018, 08:37 AM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassfisher6522 View Post
I'v experienced this a few times....but with my system I use sleep mode (manually). While on your PC, your PC could be downloading and installing updates in the background depending on your settings. Then on it's designated time to reboot to finish, it will do so. I have windows 10. I see you're running 7 but you don't say what the new build is running.
With sleep mode the PC doesn't really turn off, it just consumes less power, so it's much less unusual for it to wake up from sleep than from hibernation which is 100% powered off, just like having shut down.

I'm not sure what new build you're referring to, I only replaced the PSU in my PC so I still have windows 7.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2018, 08:47 AM   #4
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Maybe the pc crashed and restarted when attempting to hibernate, after all, it is by default set to restart automatically when a system error occurs. Have a look at the system logs to see if a bugcheck occurred or if a crash dump was recently created.
Old 11-10-2018, 08:53 AM   #5
TSF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stancestans View Post
Maybe the pc crashed and restarted when attempting to hibernate, after all, it is by default set to restart automatically when a system error occurs. Have a look at the system logs to see if a bugcheck occurred or if a crash dump was recently created.
It had successfully gone in hibernation and powered off and had been off for a while, maybe even 1-2 hours, before it just turned back on by itself. It did successfully resume my session and I immediately put it back in hibernation and this time flipped the rear PSU switch to make sure it doesn't turn back on again as it was running on the UPS/battery power. When the power came back I powered it back on and it again resumed with no problem.

Where would I look for the logs/crash dump as there may be one for when it powered off by itself a few weeks ago?
Old 11-10-2018, 09:33 AM   #6
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team
Networking Team

OS: W10P64 10.0.19041.264; W7U64; W7P64; XPP32; Zorin; Slax; Ubuntu; Kali (BackTrack); Android 6.01

If a PC's power is simply disconnected, it does not have time to create a log.

As to why it may have started all by itself, check the BIOS and see if things like WOL (Wake On LAN) etc., are all disabled.
Old 11-10-2018, 02:14 PM   #7
TSF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpywareDr View Post
If a PC's power is simply disconnected, it does not have time to create a log.

As to why it may have started all by itself, check the BIOS and see if things like WOL (Wake On LAN) etc., are all disabled.
The power was never disconnected, even at the time of the power outage as I have a UPS, that's how I was able to put it in hibernation during the power outage (it's also set to hibernate after 1 minute of inactivity if it goes on battery power in case I'm not there).

I will check my BIOS settings, I did reset my BIOS when I had the problem of the PC not turning on a few weeks ago.
Old 11-10-2018, 02:38 PM   #8
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team
Networking Team

OS: W10P64 10.0.19041.264; W7U64; W7P64; XPP32; Zorin; Slax; Ubuntu; Kali (BackTrack); Android 6.01

Ok, let me try another way to say it. If the computer suddenly shut down, it would not have given Windows the chance to create a log file.
Old 11-10-2018, 02:58 PM   #9
TSF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpywareDr View Post
Ok, let me try another way to say it. If the computer suddenly shut down, it would not have given Windows the chance to create a log file.
Sorry I realize now you're saying this in regards to the time the PC shut down by itself, not the time it powered on by itself.

The time it "shut down" (it was still on but with only fans and LEDs on), I was not at the computer, so I have no idea if it was sudden or if it went through a proper shut down. So I'd still like to know where to find the logs as it could help me understand what happened that day as I still don't have a clue of the actual cause.
Old 11-11-2018, 05:53 AM   #10
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team
Networking Team

Click the start orb, type in eventvwr and press [Enter]. Look under "windows logs > System"
Old 11-14-2018, 05:39 AM   #11
Registered Member

Your computer is likely configured to "Wake on Lan".
When your power was restored to your LAN, it refreshed connections to all the IP addresses that were connected to it. This would have awoken your computer from hibernation.
You can test this hypothesis by hibernating your computer, unplugging the power to your router and modem (not turn off, unplug them), wait a bit and then apply power to your modem and then router again. See if your computer wakes up.
Closed Thread