Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU

User Tag List

computer issues

This is a discussion on computer issues within the Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. hi, i would like to start out by saying i have a custom built computer. hard drive: 250 GB [now

Closed Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 07:43 PM   #1

hi,
i would like to start out by saying i have a custom built computer.

hard drive: 250 GB [now only 215 from last partition]
external hard drive: 160 GB
video card: nVidia GeForce 7950 GT
sound card: Creative Sound Blaster Xtreme Audio
processor: Two Pentium D 3.00GHz
RAM: 1.00GB
monitor: 19" widescreen lcd

it runs loud normally. when i first got it, it was fine, ran fast and smooth. cpu temp was around 30 degrees celcius. then i installed my necessary programs, and it starts to heat up, slower startup, while i have so much hard drive space unused.

another thing i noticed was when i startup, a nVidia popup comes up and says it has lowered its performance to comply with my power settings, something along those lines.

whenever i am doing too many things at once, or have too many windows open, the cpu heats up to over 47 degrees celcius it freezes up on me for a few minutes and/or i get a bsod.

these bsods consist of KERNAL_STACK_INPAGE_ERROR and more recently i got a registry corruption upon starting up.

ive already in the past, recently maybe two months ago if even, had to reinstall windows from similar problems. one of those reasons though was i had bad sectors on my disc. so, i had to cut out some of the space from the new partition, and completely start off fresh again with a windows reinstallation.

im now at a similar problem not too far from the old one, and im getting worried that my cmputer is just going to completely screw up, something irreversible, and i need guidance on what to do, whether it be software or hardware related.

help is greatly appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2008, 04:35 PM   #2

anyone?
someones gotta have some suggestion..
Old 01-28-2008, 06:02 PM   #3

im about to go to another site, seriously.
i figured you guys would have answered by now.
someone, considering to 40+ views of the page.
this waiting cant go on much longer, i need answers
i got another bsod again, im afraid my pc cant take much more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2008, 06:48 PM   #4
TSF Team Emeritus

My System

read this and see if any of it helps

https://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=315266
Old 01-28-2008, 06:54 PM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhjnine6 View Post
im about to go to another site, seriously.
i figured you guys would have answered by now.
someone, considering to 40+ views of the page.
this waiting cant go on much longer, i need answers
i got another bsod again, im afraid my pc cant take much more.
Sorry been on this board for over an hour. Had to take a break from the screen and take my 4-year old bicycle riding. We do have lives too you know.

Sounds like (Man I'm sounding like a broken record) cooling fan issues. How many watts is your PSU? With all those add on PCI cards if you're running low on watts you could be overtaxing your PSU as well.

Also check to see if you have enough thermal paste between the heatsink and cpu if the fan is running fine.
Old 01-28-2008, 06:59 PM   #6

okay, finally, a post. i know you guys have lives, but.. i posted this almsot exactly a day ago, and this is the first response. with about 10 at a time people monitoring these boards.. i just expected a quicker answer.
especially when others post before and after me and get an instant answer.

but anyhow, ill check those out, i was thinking it might have been those. even though i think 50 degrees celcius, a maximum for my computer that shouldn't be reached, isn't really too bad.
Old 01-28-2008, 07:10 PM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhjnine6 View Post
okay, finally, a post. i know you guys have lives, but.. i posted this almsot exactly a day ago, and this is the first response. with about 10 at a time people monitoring these boards.. i just expected a quicker answer.
especially when others post before and after me and get an instant answer.

but anyhow, ill check those out, i was thinking it might have been those. even though i think 50 degrees celcius, a maximum for my computer that shouldn't be reached, isn't really too bad.

Temperature kills electronics and at 50-degrees C. that's over 120-degrees F. That's pretty hot.

Check the thermal paste and see if it's conducting appropriately.
Old 01-28-2008, 07:12 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigwatanabe View Post
Temperature kills electronics and at 50-degrees C. that's over 120-degrees F. That's pretty hot.

Check the thermal paste and see if it's conducting appropriately.
oof. i agree. ill get to this soon and update if that was the problem.
thanks though, craig.
Old 01-28-2008, 07:14 PM   #9
Registered Member

good luck
Old 01-28-2008, 07:53 PM   #10
TSF Team Emeritus

My System

I would also run the hdd manufactures diagnostics on the hardive to make sure its good seeing as you once had bad sectors on it
Old 01-28-2008, 08:41 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doby View Post
I would also run the hdd manufactures diagnostics on the hardive to make sure its good seeing as you once had bad sectors on it
if you don't mind, how would i go about doing this?
also this reminds me, i get this page every time i start up that says something about my hdd, that requires me to pree F1 too. ill take a pic next time i reboot or i get a bsod.
Old 01-28-2008, 08:59 PM   #12
TSF Team Emeritus

My System

Go to the hardrive manufactures website, they will have downloads, download the diag tools and create a bootable floppy or cd to test the drive
Old 01-30-2008, 03:25 AM   #13

okay, i have a western digital and decided to try to recover it using the diagnostic tool. i ran it last night only to find this morning my computer had rebooted probably from another bsod. but what i found interesting was what i saw:

i see this page every time i start actually, but i never really read it. this may be another problem, my c drive being 3rd master.
Old 01-30-2008, 06:33 PM   #14
TSF Team Emeritus

My System

The hardrive is failing smart witch is a hdd monitoring system, I would backup and replace the drive.

I am not sure about this 3rd primary thing it sould be listed as on the secodary controller, I don't think that has anything to do with it though.

After you backup run the diag tools again just try the shot test to see what it says
Old 01-30-2008, 07:19 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doby View Post
The hardrive is failing smart witch is a hdd monitoring system, I would backup and replace the drive.

I am not sure about this 3rd primary thing it sould be listed as on the secodary controller, I don't think that has anything to do with it though.

After you backup run the diag tools again just try the shot test to see what it says
why would my hdd be failing though, what would cause it?
and should it be listed as 1st primary drive since its my c drive?
Old 01-30-2008, 08:14 PM   #16
TSF Team Emeritus

My System

Quote:
why would my hdd be failing though, what would cause it?
All hardrives will fail with age, the amount of time varies greatly, they are machanical devices with moving parts that eventually wear out, thats why its important to backup.

Quote:
and should it be listed as 1st primary drive since its my c drive?
No its just connected to the secondary contoller on the motherboard is all, that won't hurt anything.

You can see that S.M.A.R.T has it listed as bad twice in the post screen, most likely time for a new one
Old 02-01-2008, 11:22 AM   #17

damn.. ive had this drive not even a year. drive and computer. i guess ill have to replace it. and take the advice to check out the heatsink issues.
Closed Thread