Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios & CPU

User Tag List

Computer Dead: Services Tomorrow

This is a discussion on Computer Dead: Services Tomorrow within the Motherboards, Bios & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Wellsir ... what was suppose to be a simple install of a usb card turned into a disaster. Long story

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By SpareChange
Closed Thread

Old 02-27-2019, 04:03 PM   #1
Registered Member

My System

Mistake

Wellsir ... what was suppose to be a simple install of a usb card turned into a disaster. Long story short my AMD Rig is no more CPU shot. I suspect the usb port were going bad on the mobo. I have to replace it.

Here are the parts I will be replacing ... did the best my budget will allow.

Case
https://www.ebay.com/itm/DIYPC-Solo-...53.m1438.l2649

CPU
https://www.ebay.com/itm/AMD-Ryzen-7...53.m1438.l2649

Motherboard
https://www.ebay.com/itm/MSI-B350-TO...53.m1438.l2649

Memory
https://www.ebay.com/itm/16GB-Kit-2x...53.m1438.l2649

I'll be using the same video card and dvd players and power supply from the old rig. This will be much faster than my main rig when I get it together. Let me know what you think. I didn't see anything to indicate the mobo is not compatible with windows 7. I hope I will be able to format the C drive on my other computer so I can use it again on this new rig.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2019, 05:51 PM   #2
Team Manager - Hardware
Acting Manager, Security Center

My System

I am not one of those self styled eBay critics in fact I buy a lot there but there is GSkill ram new at Newegg for that price and there is no need to buy refurbished motherboards for such new products where you can get a new board for similar price and quality. I also happen to think the Ryzen 2400 is better value on newer cpu.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16820231888
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16819113480
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16813157800
Some other ideas above...

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and more effectively.
Old 02-27-2019, 07:05 PM   #3
Registered Member

My System

Thumbs Up

Thanks for the suggestions. I had to go with the mobo I chose because I need the 5 audio output on the board so I can hook up my surround sound ... the audio on the board you suggested only has three with no pci slot for a sound card. I have a sound card from my dead system but I don't know if it will be compatible with a board that has a pci port.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2019, 08:14 PM   #4
Team Manager - Hardware

My System

OK I still would not buy refurbished on a board:
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16813144047

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and more effectively.
Old 02-27-2019, 10:46 PM   #5
Registered Member

My System

Thanks for that link. I bit the bullet and paid the extra $33 for the 3 year warranty. There is a $10 rebate to take away some of the sting. I sure hope I don't have any complications when I put this rig together. Considering this all start with what was suppose to be a simple pci card install I can imagine what may await me.
Old 02-28-2019, 04:46 AM   #6
Team Manager - Hardware

My System

Yeah pci slots are getting tougher and tougher to find on boards and seeing that one with two was just dumb luck. I hadn't noticed how many board soundcards no longer have 6 audio outputs until you mentioned that and I started looking at them. I have no issues with refurbished components usually and with old hardware often times you have no choice but with current boards I just would never take that chance as good boards are so hard to find I just wouldn't risk issues with boards. As it is there are so few manufacturers I even recommend new any more as I have had so many issues with boards and board makers over the years.

Old 02-28-2019, 09:37 AM   #7
Registered Member

My System

Arrow

Yeah I don't get that with the audio with all the surround sound for computers the three outlets won't work. I was surprised too seeing it has two pci slots. You can bet your bottom dollar I will be back when it comes time to put this rig together ... there seems to always be something when it comes to working on these machines. I'm installing windows 7 ... didn't see anything that said the mobo was not compatible. Hopefully I can use my intel rig to format the C drive on the hard drive. I have it partition just for something like this. All my important data is separated from the C drive. I remember once having a problem doing a fresh install on a hard drive from another rig that was formatted. I hope that doesn't happen this time.
Old 02-28-2019, 02:55 PM   #8
Team Manager - Hardware

My System

Install Windows 10 makes no sense to install Windows 7 now, the updates will take you weeks and it goes out of support in 10 months.

Old 02-28-2019, 06:50 PM   #9
Registered Member

My System

Don't want anything to do with windows 10 ... once 7 is no more I will go to linx, but for now I want 7.
Old 03-01-2019, 06:20 AM   #10
Team Manager - Hardware

My System

Not only has Windows 10 been so safe as to actually change the course of my whole business (98% of what I used to do is clean Malware off systems, now 3% of what I do), the graphics are far superior and it is way faster IMHO. Today Windows 7 to me runs like XP did towards the end when things break and you can no longer fix them. Sounds like you have never really used Windows 10 to me. Linux is great if you don't want to do much on the computer, I love Pc Linux and use it all the time to remove client files from hard drives with passwords and I use Ubuntu and Puppy Linux but I could never run my business with the limited software....good luck with that I guess for personal use it would be fine!

Old 03-01-2019, 07:37 AM   #11
Registered Member

My System

Yep ... it's just will be used for personal use. I just watch youtube videos and fly helicopters in flight sims, and pay bills. Pretty much browse the net. You will be hearing from me again once all the parts arrive and I start to put it together. Can you still have two os on your machine where I could have windows7 and linux?
Old 03-01-2019, 08:43 AM   #12
Elite Commander

My System

Send a message via MSN to VividProfessional

took me a long time and several angry knarky posts in here to embrace Windows 10
(starts rocking)
Old 03-01-2019, 09:35 AM   #13
Team Manager - Hardware

My System

Hey I wasn't exactly enthralled in the beginning either....and I have made some 3rd party changes as well but have grown to appreciate it over time! I just see Windows 7 showing age now and see problems that we cannot fix because no version of Windows will let you install something old over something new and Windows Updates over time makes reinstalling something nearly impossible for that reason. I can feel the "creaks in the joints" on Windows 7 while 10 is crisp and quick and new!

Old 03-02-2019, 06:20 AM   #14
Registered Member

That memory isn't good for AMD. If you can afford a better one then go for it.
Old 03-06-2019, 04:34 PM   #15
Hardware Tech Team

My System

I suppose you're going for the AM4 1700 due to the cost effectiveness aspect of your new build, and in that case you made a good choice. If you end up getting a G-series iGPU oriented AMD AM4 processor such as a 2200g or 2400g be sure you get yourself a B450 or X470 board to ensure out-of-box install compatibility instead of B350/X370. B450/X470 all also install with the gen 1 Ryzen Processors just fine.

On the memory front. If you're playing a flight sim that's rather demanding and you plan on installing higher end GPU's, such as GTX 1070-1080-1080ti, GTX 1660ti, RTX 2070 and above, I would get an X470 board and pair it with DDR4 3000-3200 modules since AMD setups do get a nice little extra boost with higher spec ram modules.

Recap
------------------

*1700x but you will play higher spec games (high detail as well) and you will install higher end GPU's -- get X370 or X470 with DDR4 3000.

*2400G but you only play one flight sim and not that demanding no plans for higher end GPU's get a well made B450 with some DDR4 2666 can call it a day.
spirittoo likes this.
Closed Thread