Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios & CPU

User Tag List

Computer completely died, only to come completely back an hour or so later, why?

This is a discussion on Computer completely died, only to come completely back an hour or so later, why? within the Motherboards, Bios & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I'm not sure if this is the right forum as I don't know what exactly caused this problem but I

Closed Thread

Old 10-28-2018, 11:10 AM   #1
TSF Enthusiast

I'm not sure if this is the right forum as I don't know what exactly caused this problem but I highly suspect the motherboard, bios, CPU, PSU, etc. so I'm posting here.

I leave my computer on 24/7, only turning off the screen at night. When I got up this morning I turned the screen on and everything was normal. I go away for a few minutes and return to a blank screen and a PC with a solid on HD activity LED.

I unplug and plug it back in and the HD LED goes solid on, the fans start, but nothing else, no post beep and nothing on screen, like the mobo is dead.

I start taking one part after another out only for it to start the same way (no post beep, no video). After playing around with RAM, video cards, etc. repeatedly, I got it to start with a beep sequence like "beeeeeep beep beep" but still no video. I take the RAM out and start it and get a pulsing beep pattern. I put the ram back, play with the video card some more, and it starts normally like nothing ever happened.

I NEED my PC daily for work and am VERY lucky this happened on a Sunday, but I MUST figure out the cause so this doesn't happen again.

This is a PC I built myself about 10 years ago, while it has had upgrades like RAM, video card, drives, it's still a 10 year old mobo, CPU and PSU.

What do you suspect would have caused this? I was already planning on changing my PSU but symptoms don't seem to point to it, unless it's a sort of overheating issue.

Is it possible a card just got unseated by itself despite nothing touching the computer? I'm more tempted to think a part is failing with age.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2018, 02:05 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

Something I remember that might be a hint:

When my computer works normally, it does not power on by itself just by plugging in the power, I must press the front power button for it to start. However, during all the time it was dead, every fan and LED would turn on the second it got power (but it wouldn't post or send any video signal). When it finally started working again, it did not power on by itself when I plugged it in and I had to press the power button as usual.

Hopefully this is a clue, I'm hoping it's the PSU and not the mobo.
Old 10-28-2018, 04:53 PM   #3
Team Manager - Hardware
Acting Manager, Security Center

My System

Sure sounds like Psu and I don't know any model that will last 10 years.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and more effectively.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2018, 04:58 PM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-M View Post
Sure sounds like Psu and I don't know any model that will last 10 years.
Well whatever model I have lasted about 10 years.

I really hope it's the PSU as it's much easier and cheaper to replace and I've been wanting a modular one for a while, I have a bird nest of unused power cables at the bottom of my PC case.

So it's possible for a PSU that has an issue that causes the PC to turn on before pressing power, and to have all devices like DVD/Blue ray/LTO drive/fans start normally while the rest of the PC remains completely dead?

It almost seems to be as or more likely to be the mobo, I think it pretty much behaved as if I started the PC without the power cable connected to the mobo, quite sure that would exactly reproduce the symptoms I was having.

Edit: Wait, would the HD LED go solid on with the mobo having it's power cable unplugged? So maybe not exactly the same symptoms. I can't tell if the power LED was on as I put black tape over it as it's bright enough to light up the entire room at night.

Edit 2: Another thing, you say you don't know any PSU that would last 10 years, but should a mobo and CPU last 10 years?
Old 10-28-2018, 06:47 PM   #5
Team Manager - Hardware

My System

Cpu could last 10 years but motherboard also not likely and it could be the board as well.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and more effectively.
Old 10-28-2018, 08:47 PM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

Since I was already planning on changing my PSU I'll try to buy one tomorrow and replace mine and hope the problem doesn't happen again. If it does can it be anything other than the motherboard?

I think I will exceptionally turn my PC off tonight just in case it were to do the same again.

I've also done my work for tomorrow today just in case.

Hopefully if it does it again it will end up coming back to life within an hour or so like this time, but after an hour of it being dead I was sure it was never coming back, so I'm very happy it did.

BTW I always buy high end top of the line parts (especially mobo, psu, drives), which is probably why this PC ran flawlessly for 10 years without a single freeze or crash.
Old 10-29-2018, 04:45 AM   #7
Team Manager - Hardware

My System

The "comeback" is actually the clue that means most likely the psu as that is the only component that when it starts to go can come back to life after a while but only for so long then it will die for good eventually.

Old 10-29-2018, 09:04 AM   #8
TSF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-M View Post
The "comeback" is actually the clue that means most likely the psu as that is the only component that when it starts to go can come back to life after a while but only for so long then it will die for good eventually.
Hopefully it is, I'm still shopping online for one that I can hopefully find in a local store today.
Old 10-29-2018, 09:19 AM   #9
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by aab1 View Post
Hopefully it is, I'm still shopping online for one that I can hopefully find in a local store today.

Looks like EVGA is a major brand now even though I don't think I had ever heard of it, and many reviews of them say they blow up every component in their PC so they aren't too tempting. I used to buy only Antec PSUs which is what I have now but no local store still carry them, did they go out of business or what?

What are high end/reliable brands of PSUs I should look at? I want to pay more for a reliable one with a 10 year warranty.
Would you like to merge the other thread with this one, since you're asking the same thing on both threads?
Old 10-29-2018, 09:36 AM   #10
TSF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stancestans View Post
Would you like to merge the other thread with this one, since you're asking the same thing on both threads? See Power Supply - antec.com
If you don't mind I'd like to keep them separate, this thread is mostly about diagnosing my computer issue, of which the PSU is a likely cause, while the other thread is focused more on finding which PSU I want to buy.
Old 10-29-2018, 09:50 AM   #11
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by aab1 View Post
If you don't mind I'd like to keep them separate, this thread is mostly about diagnosing my computer issue, of which the PSU is a likely cause, while the other thread is focused more on finding which PSU I want to buy.

Thanks for the Antec link, any idea why local stores no longer seem to carry them or have very limited choices?
In that case, you should also keep the question of a reliable brand on the other thread. We can't be discussing the same thing on different active threads started by you because its gonna bring about unnecessary cross-posting and confusion over which thread to reply to.
Old 10-31-2018, 03:46 PM   #12
Registered Member

Computer components do not last for ever. Capacitors may die out, or pop out. Some electrical signals could have corrosion in certain areas. I am not saying that you spilled water or drinks on the computer but over time HUMIDITY is a computers enemy. When it rains... when it is hot and humid outside that humidity gets inside your home as well. Even with central air operating.

What it sounds like to me is an electrical error on the Mobo. Could be the power supply unit but as a back up you might want to invest in buying a new motherboard in the future. Sounds like you have upgraded the ram and the GPU. But if you have had the same motherboard for those 10 years it may finally be starting to show signs of dying out.

I just built my first PC and followed every bit of advice from some talking head youtube videos online. Especially Linus tech tips and Jays2cents. But it may not be the case.

You may want to see if your MoBo will give you a "missing ram" beep code.

That beep code it spat out is a hint of what happened. You need to pay attention to how many beeps it gave you and consult the manual for your motherboard. It could be a boot error from the HDD.

You might want to re install your operating system (Windows) and start fresh, but make sure you back up all of your important data.

That is one avenue you could try.
Old 11-01-2018, 01:24 PM   #13
TSF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Con-Sept View Post
That beep code it spat out is a hint of what happened. You need to pay attention to how many beeps it gave you and consult the manual for your motherboard. It could be a boot error from the HDD.

You might want to re install your operating system (Windows) and start fresh, but make sure you back up all of your important data.

That is one avenue you could try.
The problem cannot be a boot error from the boot drive because the mobo would not even post, and behaved exactly the same way with the boot drive disconnected, proving the boot drive and Windows installation have nothing to do with the problem I was having.

It has been 4 days since the problem (I have not yet had time to change the PSU, hoping to today). I have been putting the computer in hibernation and even flipping it's rear power switch every night since just so that nothing can go wrong overnight. The problem hasn't returned and it has booted flawlessly every time since, though the first few seconds after I turn it on until it does the "post beep" are very nerve-wracking.

I will be looking into a new mobo and cpu soon also, I don't need to re-install Windows if I change the mobo right? Quite sure I changed my current mobo without re-installing Windows (so my Windows installation is more than 10 years old and is the oldest "thing" in my PC).
Old 11-01-2018, 02:00 PM   #14
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team
Networking Team

OS: W10P64 10.0.19041.264; W7U64; W7P64; XPP32; Zorin; Slax; Ubuntu; Kali (BackTrack); Android 6.01

Note that not all computer equipment gives up the ghost after a few years. For example, the computers aboard Voyager 1 and 2 each have 69.63 kilobytes of memory, total, and old-fashioned digital 8-track tape drives that are written, erased and re-written over and over again and again. These two satellites were launched in 1977 -- some 41 years ago -- and are still sending back data today, from some 13 billion miles from Earth.
Old 11-02-2018, 02:48 PM   #15
TSF Enthusiast

I have lost countless replies on this forum because it says something about an expired token or logging back in, it says to go back and reload the page, but the same error happens again. I was finally able to post a reply by clicking the upper most reply button that takes you to a completely new page, none of the other reply buttons where you remain on the same page work, even after reloading. You also completely lose your message and have to type it back again.

Please look into this, this problem has wasted me lots of time by making me rewrite entire posts. I think I will be writing all my TSF replies in Word first from now on.
Old 11-02-2018, 02:55 PM   #16
TSF Enthusiast

Here is a retype of what I had been trying to post above (oh wait, let me switch to that other reply page that tends to work):

There's another potential cause to the problem I had last weekend I'm considering. Do you think it could have been pins that lost contact from vibration, such as pins on the RAM, cpu, video card, etc. causing the symptoms my PC had?

The reason I think it's likely is that it's only after uninstalling and re-installing things like RAM, video card, etc. that the system eventually booted again, it behaved exactly the same for probably 10-20 starting attempts until I re-installed parts inside. It has also been running fine for almost a week despite not having yet had time to replace the PSU.

I'm control-c'ing this post before I submit this time.
Old 11-02-2018, 02:59 PM   #17
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team
Networking Team

OS: W10P64 10.0.19041.264; W7U64; W7P64; XPP32; Zorin; Slax; Ubuntu; Kali (BackTrack); Android 6.01

Sounds more like a flaky/failing component or possibly a cracked/corroded trace or solder joint.

(Note that I typed this response directly into the Post Quick Reply box at the bottom of this Thread with no problems).
Old 11-02-2018, 03:01 PM   #18
TSF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpywareDr View Post
Sounds more like a flaky/failing component or possibly a cracked/corroded trace or solder joint.

(Note that I typed this response directly into the Reply box at the bottom of this Thread with no problems).
What makes you think it's that more than a bad connection that had to be "jiggled back into place"?

Edit: I tend to leave these pages open for days or weeks in tabs, so that I can quickly go back to them as I resolve the issue. The problem I mention occurs when you try to reply after the page has been loaded for a few days, but even reloading it doesn't solve the problem.
Old 11-02-2018, 03:03 PM   #19
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team
Networking Team

Because chips/components working there way loose out of their sockets was solved years ago.

I seriously doubt that the TechSupportForum software is able to keep track of where you were/are over that period of time. It probably times out after maybe half an hour ... if that long. To view your subscriptions, bookmark this link: https://www.techsupportforum.com/for...ewsubscription
Old 11-02-2018, 04:06 PM   #20
Team Manager - Hardware

My System

Let me see if I get this right, you are running 10 year old computer components and you are having a problem posting on our forum and that is our fault?
I have been here on this forum heavily since 2010 and what you are suggesting has never happened to me even once. Now though my hardware is seldom more than 2 years old.

Closed Thread