Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU

User Tag List

Comp wont boot after cleaning CPU fan and aplying new paste

This is a discussion on Comp wont boot after cleaning CPU fan and aplying new paste within the Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi my friend had just gotten a new hard drive for his computer when we were placing into the computer,we

Closed Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 02:47 AM   #1

Hi my friend had just gotten a new hard drive for his computer
when we were placing into the computer,we noticed that the cpu fan was really dusty and had a load of hair and stuff though it.
Well we took off the fan cleaned it off
we also took the cpu out of the socket to clean the dust out too.
We applied new thermal paste
placed everything back the way it was and screwed everything in.
We then also noticed we needed another slave cord,to be able to have the second hard drive useable.
We took one out of a computer they no longer used and connected the cord to the MB and the HDD.
After this was all done and we powered up the computer
it would not go past the first screen where it shows the logo of the company
like when it's a gateway it shows the gateway logo and when it's a dell the dell logo, ect.
We first thought this happened becasue of the HDD
so we unpluged everything and placed everything back to how it was before we touched it
then proceeded to power it up with the same results.
I did a little research on it and at one point after powering up and shuting down we came up with Realtek RTL8139(X)/8130/810X Boot Agent Press Shift-F10 to configure......
for some reason his keyboard would not respond to anything.
We then looked that up and followed what I found for that.
unplugging the network cable from the computer and then booting followed by plugging it back in and booting worked to get it past the logo screen.
Now after waiting about 2 minutes at the logo screen
it goes to where it tests the memory and shows the name of the MB and all that jazz.
It says that it can not find the floppy drive (which there never was one and never had this come up before) and says to go to the bios to fix the boot seagence.
Well the keyboard still isn't working so we can't enter into the bios setup and it stays at that screen.
He has a
Columbus C661KTF6A
Intel pentium 4 processor running at 2.93Ghz
1.3Gb of RAM.
We have reseated everything
along with booting without the HDD all with the same result
going to the I believe BIOS screen showing the CPU, mem test, MB, and all that stuff that we get stuck at.
Does anyone know what is causing this and what we can do to fix it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2008, 07:38 AM   #2
Troubled

Moderators? don't you think this should be moved to the hardware forum?
Old 03-06-2008, 09:56 AM   #3
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

moved
try a cmos reset first
did you use a 80 wire ide cable on the new drive
blue grey and black plugs

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2008, 12:44 PM   #4

We cant follow the cmos reset because the keyboard is not working. However everytime it comes to the EnergyStar screen where is says the CPU stuff and the memory testing it reads...

floppy disk fail(80)
CMOS checksum error - Deafaults loaded
Warning! CPU has been changed.
Please reenter CPU settingsins the CMOS setup and remember to save before quitting.

and again, we are not able to do this because the keyboard does not respond (but is getting connection because upon startup the lights flash, but then go dead.)
Old 03-06-2008, 12:49 PM   #5

Also in addition I connected a floppy drive to the computer in hopes that it would solve the floppy disk fail but this did nothing.
Old 03-06-2008, 01:34 PM   #6
TSF Team, Emeritus

You using a USB keyboard? . . can you substitute a PS/2 keyboard?
Old 03-06-2008, 01:41 PM   #7

It's a PS/2 keyboard I beleave. The PS/2 is the circular connecter correct me if I'm wrong and if I am right then that's the type it is because it isn't a USB keyboard.
Old 03-06-2008, 01:43 PM   #8
TSF Team, Emeritus

Yes . . PS/2 is round . . can you try a different keyboard? . . I carry around a basic, no frills keyboard for when the fancy ones don't work before the O/S is loaded also, some boards have a Function Lock key that can interfere . . if yours does, try switching that
Old 03-06-2008, 02:00 PM   #9
Troubled

did you discharge static electricity before you started? remove power,hold power button a couple of seconds,open case,touch metal case. did you twist off heatsink, clean off old paste and then put new paste in center of cpu. because i am wondering about the cpu change error.
Old 03-06-2008, 02:14 PM   #10

We also tried the cmos reset by the jumper and still the same result.
Old 03-06-2008, 02:20 PM   #11

Yea I did all that stuff right.
Old 03-06-2008, 02:50 PM   #12
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

do you have a larger wattage power supply you can swap in

Old 03-06-2008, 05:32 PM   #13

No I don't. That's one thing he's been meaning to get was a new power supply.
Old 03-06-2008, 11:07 PM   #14

I was reading up about the cmos checksum error that it is saying we are getting and I just remembered that my friend's computer doesn't keep the correct date and time on it even when changed in the bios setting before all this happened. From what I have read the checksum error can be caused by the battery being dead. Could this also cause the rest of what is happening?
Old 03-06-2008, 11:20 PM   #15

Alright another update I beleave I have found most of the salutions to the prablem BUT the big prablem right now is that the keyboard is not responding so I am not able to go indo the bios settings to fix all the other prablems. We have tried pluging in a differant keyboard into the comp and trying to use that but even with a differant one it still does not respond. Does anyone know what can cause the keyboard to not respond at the start up screens?
Old 03-06-2008, 11:34 PM   #16
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

have you a larger power supply you can swap in

Old 03-07-2008, 12:18 AM   #17

You had already asked that and that's still a no. We are getting one later on in the day. He had plans on getting a new power supply before this all happened so it's not like he has to spend more then what he already planed on as of rigt now.
Old 03-07-2008, 01:21 AM   #18
Registered Member

Sounds like a bad power supply. When you removed ANY connections you did remove the power plug and not just powered down your rig right?

Go down to Radio Shack and pick up a $20 PSU tester and plug the +12V rail into it and turn it on. All lights should light. I'll almost bet you fried the +5vdc supply.

Symptoms such as what you've described is common for a blown PSU. The fact that you're getting a Splash screen (Gateway logo) tells me the CPU is somewhat working.
Old 03-13-2008, 08:11 PM   #19

Alright we just replaces the powersupply which was masivly underpoering the system (don't even know how it was working with it) We now have a 550w power supply and we booted it up with the same results of gettinjg those errors but not being able to us the keyboard for some reason. Does anyone have any info on this?
Old 03-14-2008, 03:13 AM   #20
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

when you reset the cmos did you do it correctly
turn computer off
remove the power lead
remove the battery
move the cmos jumper from pins 1 and 2 to pins 2 and 3 and then back to pins 1 and 2
replace the battery
replug in the lead
boot the computer

Closed Thread