Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU

User Tag List

Chassis(?) Fan Slow

This is a discussion on Chassis(?) Fan Slow within the Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Ok, keep in mind I am not very experienced with computers, and while I some parts, i did not build

Closed Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 09:54 PM   #1
Registered Member

Ok, keep in mind I am not very experienced with computers, and while I some parts, i did not build this computer and cant understand much by looking inside the case:
One of the fans on my computer, I believe called a chassis fan, is one of 2 non-case fans, the other being the intel cpu fan.
The chassis fan has slowed down significantly from 3400 to 2200 today, first day in over a year of owning the computer.
It has become increasingly loud, and if i slow it down using speedfan it slows down but remains loud, so the speed is not the problem with the volume.
https://i50.tinypic.com/16c8389.jpg
https://i49.tinypic.com/zwknwk.jpg
Very small one with the circular clear case.
Since this happened fps drops significantly while playing games, obviously purpose of the computer.
Pretty sure this chassis fan is part of the motherboard as its labeled asus and my mobo is a Asus striker II extrm

specs:
530w psu
nvidia gtx 285
Asus striker II extreme mobo
intel quad core q9450 2.66 ghz
raidmax smilodon case

my speculation was that my power supply is very low with 530w considering the rest of my parts of my computer, so perhaps the fan had heavy demand on it and began to die out shorter than manufactured to?

sorry for wall of text, it would be less dense if i knew what i was talking about.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2009, 06:35 AM   #2
Emeritus

That is a added cooling fan to help cool the North Bridge pipe. It shouldn't be needed. You can unplug to be certain is is the problem and check your temps in the Bios. Speedfan is for fans and usually does not give accurate temp readings.
From the pics you posted I would suggest buying a can or two of compressed air and giving the interior a good blowing out. Use a NON-metallic object (a heavy plastic straw work well) to keep the fans from spinning while you are blowing on them.That may be a contributing issue with the fan.
What Brand & model is the PSU? If it is a Raidmax that was included with the case it is a very low quality unit.

Old 12-30-2009, 09:24 AM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyree View Post
That is a added cooling fan to help cool the North Bridge pipe. It shouldn't be needed. You can unplug to be certain is is the problem and check your temps in the Bios. Speedfan is for fans and usually does not give accurate temp readings.
From the pics you posted I would suggest buying a can or two of compressed air and giving the interior a good blowing out. Use a NON-metallic object (a heavy plastic straw work well) to keep the fans from spinning while you are blowing on them.That may be a contributing issue with the fan.
What Brand & model is the PSU? If it is a Raidmax that was included with the case it is a very low quality unit.
ill look next time i have access (on phone atm)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2009, 11:16 AM   #4
Registered Member

Is it safe to use the computer for now? the temps are pretty high and i felt the pipe its kinda hot..
risk of frying anything or just slower performance?
and while i still dont know the model i know the psu is very lacking. using neweggs power calculator id need 800w.
Is the power supply linked to this issue?
Old 12-30-2009, 11:51 AM   #5
Emeritus

Your PSU is definitely lacking but I think a good cleaning will resolve at least some of the problem. The CPU and the other fan looked to very VERY dirty.

Old 12-30-2009, 02:04 PM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyree View Post
Your PSU is definitely lacking but I think a good cleaning will resolve at least some of the problem. The CPU and the other fan looked to very VERY dirty.
I called ASUS and went with your advice of removing the small squirrel cage fan, i was told it was meant for water cooling.
CPU fan seems to be loud now >.< perhaps i screwed up while cleaning and ill have to try again.
cpu fans noisy but its speed is sustained.
If i can deal with the noise can i leave it or is this a problem?
Old 12-30-2009, 03:35 PM   #7
Emeritus

Increased CPU fan speed usually points to overheating of the CPU and commonly caused by dust buildup on the CPU heatsink. Did you blow out the CPU heatsink thoroughly?
Check the temps in the Bios.

Old 12-31-2009, 12:38 PM   #8
Registered Member

cleaned everything out thoroughly, removed the fan meant for watercooling, and now it runs quiet and smooth.
Closed Thread