Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU

User Tag List

Can't Modify BIOS and Restart (ASUS A8V Deluxe)

This is a discussion on Can't Modify BIOS and Restart (ASUS A8V Deluxe) within the Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Alright, this one is similar to previous posts when it comes to error messages however I think I've got a

Closed Thread

Old 01-29-2005, 11:28 AM   #1

Alright, this one is similar to previous posts when it comes to error messages however I think I've got a slight variation on this one.
I booted my machine and get an error "No attached drive to Fast Track Controller. No BIOS installed." It kept going and then gave me a CMOS error that the checksum was invalid, etc. I got the option to continue with default BIOS settings or set up my BIOS.
The first time I decided to continue and got into the installation of my OS (Fedora Core). I mispartioned my harddrive (carelessness) and so the installer kicked me out. I reset the machine and started getting the audible error that some CPU test failed.
I then cleared the CMOS, restarted and got to the point where it again offered me the option to set up my BIOS or use the defaults. Now, whenever I click continue, I get a blinking cursor forever. If I click Setup, I can go through and modify whatever I want, however when I restart I get the same CPU test failed error. It seems that I'm in a lose-lose situation here. No matter what I tinker with in BIOS, I can't restart the machine and operate with those settings: I'll get the audible CPU error.
One last thing, whenever I use the word, "restart," I mean manual, flip the switch on my case restart. It never wants to shutdown on its own. Any suggestions or help would be appreciated. Thanks,
mj

AMD64 3400+
ASUS A8V Deluxe
ATI Radeon 98-somthing or other
120mB Maxtor SATA HD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2005, 11:53 AM   #2
mark3567

Hi,

I don't know much too much about this board, but do know that some success has been had by using only one single stick of RAM in slot DIMM_B1.

It is always a good idea to use the default BIOS settings when setting up a newer board and then alter when you need to. (ie: if you need to turn off the promise raid controller, etc)

Also, it might be a good idea if you take a look at this ASUS information for this board:

https://www.asus.com/support/faq/qan...KB_ID=100090942

Old 01-29-2005, 12:42 PM   #3

Yeah, I've got a single stick of ram (Ultra 400 mHz 1024mB) in that slot already. Also, your link didn't work.
mj
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2005, 01:49 PM   #4

Grin

Hey, found the answer! When I used the default settings for my BIOS, the Hyper-Threading bus freq was reset to 1000mHz instead of the 800mHz it should've been! That's why I kept getting that freaky error. Thanks to mark for suggestions and anyone else that looked but didn't know!
Old 01-29-2005, 02:53 PM   #5
mark3567

HI,

So glad you got it going. Now, what I would like for you to do is hang around the forum from time to time and if you see someone with the same problem that you had, lend them a hand. That is what makes our forum great. None of us are paid for what we do and are all volunteers. The reward comes when some time you are able to make a difference in getting someone going. Will look for you on the forum.

Closed Thread