Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios & CPU

User Tag List

Can't get into BIOS / UEFI Asus Mobo Win 10 after weird behavior

This is a discussion on Can't get into BIOS / UEFI Asus Mobo Win 10 after weird behavior within the Motherboards, Bios & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi Wonderful TechSupportForum, You guys have never let me down and I don't contact you without a lot of work

Closed Thread

Old 11-03-2018, 08:57 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hi Wonderful TechSupportForum,
You guys have never let me down and I don't contact you without a lot of work first! Thanks in advance!

I have one strange situation going on.

The net is, I can't get into the UEFI/BIOS on my desktop. I'm trying to change the boot order to look at my USB flash drive which is a boot medium (Acronis 2018) to restore my hard drive from backup.

Asus H81M-e. Windows 10, legit license and all. Yes my own rig. A few years old, yes.

I prob have tried some 30 times. DEL (each DEL key separately, both, toggling between, F2 (another option showing on initial screen), press quickly repeatedly, press slowly, you name it.....he always bypasses and enters Windows.
More detail:
[backstory]: July - lying in a hospital for 32 days 60 miles away, (I'll fess up -- learning to ride daughter's motor scooter, it took off, I had to jump, oh, nasty, deep wound and both bones in lower R leg broken.....let's just say I was very fortunate.). While there, I'm trying to access my desktop remotely in hospital, and can't....HOW WEIRD. Get home only to find....Hello?....the desktop had spontaneously gone back to Win 8.1 OS...! (screams here.)

[what I tried]. OK, easy. I am a faithful Acronis backup girl. True Image 2018. I have disk partition to C drive - programs and D drive - Data. Backing up each separately. Let's just go restore C drive from Acronis cloud. Desktop is named "Richard".

Note that I have my laptop ("Patrick"), on here now, backing up to his own Patrick C and D Drive.

But I find out that ...go figure! .... that the backups in Acronis cloud from Richard desktop have been going from laptop Patrick during time in question, !!!!! NO WAY. When I realized this, I made my way into Acronis to disable ANY backing up from Richard desktop. But that was a few weeks ago, i think too late.

[situation today] So I figure, some virus or crazy thing. Now that I can actually sit in a chair at my desk (the things we take for granted!) I gotta gotta get Richard going again. (Laptops are great, but not when you are trying to get real work done and you need your big screens....LOL).

I'm really happy right now to do a refresh, scratch install of Win 10. Then I believe I can bring back the data. BUT I CAN"T GET THE DARN THING TO GO TO THE BIOS to boot from USB rescue medium which I think I need to reload Win 10 upgrade.

What's up? Asus support site doesn't tell me anything in addition to what I've been trying. Remember, desktop is now booting to the Patrick (laptop, Win 10) OS setup...! I hit Settings in Win 10 there, but nothing happens (prob bc it's not the right config for the hardware?).

Ideas? things to try? Upgrade to Win 10 on Richard desktop was done electronically so no physical medium, but again, I DO have my Acronis boot media USB drive that , I think if I could get to it, could get me over to something promising.....I labeled USB drive, "10-25-17, Acronis 2018, Rescue Media, use if one of the PC's crashes" and i made it from Richard desktop.

As you can deduce, I DO NOT have internet access currently on Richard desktop (the one currently loading my Patrick laptop OS config.)

please help! let me know what else you need.
THANK YOU
Bonnie in PA

(hey, at least I've rated off the cool charts for daughter, right? not some young chick am I. LOL, a lot better than falling downstairs with laundry, right? I'm a taekwondo teacher, just hadto tellya, so I'm trained to fall!). Can you tell I'm needing some emotional as well as PC support? Thanks, guys. !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2018, 11:57 PM   #2
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Hello. The Asus H81M-E uses Del to enter BIOS setup, according to its manual. Your keyboard has two Del keys? That's a first for me!

It sounds like Windows loads to the Desktop just fine, so you can open Control Panel? If so, search for (type inside the Search box at the top-right corner of the Control Panel Window) "power buttons" and click on Change what the power buttons do. Click Change settings that are currently unavailable. Set When I press the power button: to Shutdown if it isn't already set so. Under the Shut-down settings, untick the checkbox next to Turn on fast start-up then save the changes and shutdown the PC as usual. Fast start-up/hybrid shutdown sometimes makes it hard to access pre-boot options such as BIOS setup. Disabling it can help.

Turn on the PC and as soon as the Asus logo appears on screen, press Del. Pressing Del once at the right moment usually loads BIOS setup, but you can repeatedly press Del. If BIOS still won't load, press and hold the power button to forcefully shutdown, then start over, but this time, press F8 once or repeatedly as soon as the Asus logo appears. This will load the Boot Device Menu from where you can select the device you want to boot from. This is my preferred method of booting from other devices instead of changing the boot order in BIOS setup. You can also enter BIOS setup via the same Boot Device Menu by selecting the entry named Enter Setup.

If the Asus logo is not showing up on screen in time for you to press the Del or F8 key, you can start pressing them as soon as the PC turns on. Sometimes the monitor delays to come out of power saving mode and therefore misses the Asus logo, and before you notice it, it's already loading Windows or has gotten past the POST time window. Also, do not alternate between the two keys within the same POST session. If you're trying the Del key on one try, stick to pressing the Del key until BIOS setup loads. If that fails, reboot the pc and try the F8 key instead. Alternating between the keys during the same POST session may actually be counter-productive.

If none of the above works, you will have to reset CMOS by removing the coin-cell battery or using the CMOS CLEAR jumper on the motherboard. This means you have to open the PC's case to have access to the insides. Once CMOS clears and you turn on the PC, you will be prompted to enter BIOS setup, then you can update date and time settings as well as boot order. You should then be able to boot from the Windows 10 flash disk and clean-install Windows.

Note
Before opening the case and touching anything inside, it goes without saying that you should turn OFF the PC first and UNPLUG its AC power cable at the back . For good measure, press the power button as if to turn it ON so that any residual current in the power supply and motherboard is drained. This residual current is often enough to turn or at least twitch a fan. Also, before going anywhere near the insides of the PC, drain your body of its electrostatic charge buildup by touching a conductive surface such as an unpainted metallic surface. Your body and clothing usually have a buildup of electrostatic charge that can damage sensitive components of your PC rendering them non-functional, so it is important to discharge your body first before handling them. If all this is too much to grasp, you can seek the help of someone who knows their way around a PC.

Wishing you steadfast recovery.
Old 11-06-2018, 02:09 PM   #3
Registered Member

Thanks so much!

So I reset the CMOS by reinserting the battery, and thought I was out of the woods when I saw the bootup screen saying "press F1 to enter Setup." But pressing F1 did nothing!

Tried a couple times. Went back and re-read your post. Funny, your point about a keyboard having 2 del keys (yes, the add'l one is in the num pad area to far right of keyboard) made me go rustle up a different one to see if it had 2 del keys. LOL. (it does.) To make a long story short, it was a VERY old keyb, which plugged into PS2 and ...it worked! Prob some driver on the USB card that needed loaded by Win to work...

For anyone else who may see this, when I finally got into the UEFI utility, I went to "Boot" under "Advanced" and turned off "fast boot". Found instruction in an ASUS forum to "press and hold F2" (not a quick tapping that I was doing) to get in there the next time. Although, admittedly, turning off fast boot prob. did the trick.

Then I determined that my backup bootable medium (USB) made from Acronis Rescue last year was not working. Remember my desktop does not have I-net connection working so even though I could see (from another PC) an incremental backup of my OS in Acronis cloud that I could use, I can't seem to get to it. Grr. Now I'm downloading from Microsoft the installation files to a USB drive, since Acronis True Image 2018 is not clear at all how to do this without having to create some big ISO file (that gets complicated for me hardware-wise).

Anyway!

Thanks again for your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2018, 09:50 PM   #4
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nojudge2000 View Post
Thanks so much!

So I reset the CMOS by reinserting the battery, and thought I was out of the woods when I saw the bootup screen saying "press F1 to enter Setup." But pressing F1 did nothing!

Tried a couple times. Went back and re-read your post. Funny, your point about a keyboard having 2 del keys (yes, the add'l one is in the num pad area to far right of keyboard) made me go rustle up a different one to see if it had 2 del keys. LOL. (it does.) To make a long story short, it was a VERY old keyb, which plugged into PS2 and ...it worked! Prob some driver on the USB card that needed loaded by Win to work...
Funny indeed! I just gave the numpad a good look and noticed that delete key which primarily is also the period/decimal point key! On my laptop it's even inscribed "delete" in full and yet I've never noticed its presence! I now realise I almost never use the numpad keys' secondary functions. In fact, I always setup the PCs I use to start up with the numlock ON.

Make sure you connect the USB keyboard to a USB 2.0 port on the back panel (black usb port) and not the usb 3.x port (blue). Also, in BIOS setup, configure usb for legacy support. You'll most likely find usb settings under the Advanced menu of the uefi bios setup utility.

Quote:
For anyone else who may see this, when I finally got into the UEFI utility, I went to "Boot" under "Advanced" and turned off "fast boot". Found instruction in an ASUS forum to "press and hold F2" (not a quick tapping that I was doing) to get in there the next time. Although, admittedly, turning off fast boot prob. did the trick.
F2 is used by Asus notebooks (laptops). Your H81M-E desktop motherboard uses Del. You can try F2, but I bet it won't work. Also, the Asus site instructs to hold F2 while turning on the notebook until the bios setup utility loads.

Quote:
Then I determined that my backup bootable medium (USB) made from Acronis Rescue last year was not working. Remember my desktop does not have I-net connection working so even though I could see (from another PC) an incremental backup of my OS in Acronis cloud that I could use, I can't seem to get to it. Grr. Now I'm downloading from Microsoft the installation files to a USB drive, since Acronis True Image 2018 is not clear at all how to do this without having to create some big ISO file (that gets complicated for me hardware-wise).

Anyway!

Thanks again for your help!
You're welcome.
Old 11-09-2018, 11:22 AM   #5
Registered Member

Hi Stancestans,
That's kinda funny about the DEL key. I always configure mine to have numlock OFF bc I reach over there to use the arrow keys! :)

I finally was able to do a fresh re-install of Win 10 (Home) that my desktop had been set up with before all the trouble. I think it must've been some virus. Win was really confused about what product was on there. It really felt GOOD at this point to delete the partitions and wipe it all clean even though I have to go update everything. Thank goodness for a good data backup at least. Sigh. Now to get caught up on all the work! Believe it or not, F2 ended up working after I slowed that bootup process down. thanks again for your help. :)
Closed Thread