Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU

User Tag List

Can't connect both mouse and keyboard in USB ports in back of pc

This is a discussion on Can't connect both mouse and keyboard in USB ports in back of pc within the Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. It's a pretty specific problem. For some time I've had issues with windows forgetting or losing connection to both the

Closed Thread

Old 03-22-2014, 12:27 AM   #1
Registered Member

It's a pretty specific problem.

For some time I've had issues with windows forgetting or losing connection to both the mouse and keyboard about a minute after windows started up. It would usually work after restarting, but would show up again about once in every 10 startups.

Tried to fix it by uninstalling all USB components through the device manager, but now this (other?) issue hits me instead.

Whenever my mouse and keyboard are both connected in the back of the PC, they screw up each others functionality. I can have the mouse plugged in and working, but when I plug in the keyboard, they both start flashing their lights, and stop working, and vice versa with the keyboard plugged in and then connect the mouse.

Neither of them seem to mind the USB headset, which is also plugged into the back of the PC. Also it doesn't matter if I use the USB 3 sockets or the regular USB 2 ones - I've tried all possible options: Headset disconnected, mouse and keyboard still hate each other. 1 in USB 3 and the other in USB 2. Both in USB 3, and so on and so fourth.

I have a temporary workaround in using the USB port in front of the machine for either mouse or keyboard and the other still plugged into the back. That's the only way I can get them to play nicely with each other.

However, I prefer not to use the front, cus I'm afraid I will damage the port and/or cable, if I hit it with my knee or something.

I've attached a DxDiag file for spec and system information.

Hope you can help and thanks so much in advance :)

/Martin
Attached Files
File Type: txt DxDiag.txt (28.9 KB, 46 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2014, 05:34 AM   #2
Emeritus

First thought would be the two receivers are conflicting since the problem only happens when they are connected close to each other in the rear USB ports and no problem when they are connected with some distance between them.
Are the mouse and keyboard the same brand?

Old 03-22-2014, 06:03 AM   #3
Registered Member

Keyboard: Logitech G510s
Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M60

Hovever, the initial issue (with Windows "forgetting" both mouse and keyboard after a minute or two after startup) started before I got the G510s keyboard.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2014, 06:31 AM   #4
Emeritus

The two different brands would reinforce the conflicting receiver theory.
What keyboard was used previously?
Is the PC OEM (HP-Dell-etc.) or a custom build? If custom, Brand & Model of the Mobo?

Old 03-22-2014, 07:20 AM   #5
Registered Member

The previous keyboard was a very standard DELL keyboard with no fancy features.. I can't even see a model number, but I could check into it if needed.

If the PC is OEM - I can only assume yes. I bought it as is, directly from manufacturer and haven't even changed RAM, Graphics card, etc.

Others have mentioned it could have something to do with amount of power directed to the USB hub and that the keyboard and mouse together will exceed the threshhold? Maybe due to a short circuit or defect in one of the two pieces of hardware. How can I check that?
Closed Thread