Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios & CPU

User Tag List

Buying "new (other)" motherboard on Ebay

This is a discussion on Buying "new (other)" motherboard on Ebay within the Motherboards, Bios & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. This seller in China (99.1% Positive feedback) is selling a "new (other)" motherboard. I asked if it was refurbished. They

Closed Thread

Old 05-29-2018, 08:27 PM   #1
Registered Member

This seller in China (99.1% Positive feedback) is selling a "new (other)" motherboard. I asked if it was refurbished. They said no and that it has never been used. Yet it does not come in the original box or with any accessories other than the little in / out plate. So I'm thinking how on earth could someone acquire a brand new motherboard with no box or original contents other than the motherboard??? Seems strange.
It does look new. One of the pictures of the MB shows a bar code kind of blacked out which suggests maybe it's stolen. https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/U34AA...Ul/s-l1600.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2018, 08:37 PM   #2
Microsoft MVP
Microsoft Team Moderator
Articles Team Manager
Hardware Team Moderator

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

I doubt it's stolen. It's most likely an OEM or a wholesale purchase, both of which may not come with the original box.

Crossing out the label is most likely to stop buyers from claiming warranty on it.
Old 05-29-2018, 08:43 PM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterchiefxx17 View Post
I doubt it's stolen. It's most likely an OEM or a wholesale purchase, both of which may not come with the original box.

Crossing out the label is most likely to stop buyers from claiming warranty on it.
But who are they buying these boards from? Directly from ASUS?

And one more question, will Microsoft allow a MB replacement, not requiring me to pay for a whole new copy of Windows?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2018, 11:53 AM   #4
Microsoft MVP
Microsoft Team Moderator
Articles Team Manager
Hardware Team Moderator

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

They could be doing a few things to get the board without a box.

1. Buying them directly from Asus as an OEM.
2. Buying it from a wholesaler who buys a lot of boards in bulk.
3. They are taking the board directly off of the production line in China.

Regardless, it shouldn't be so much of a worry. If you are getting a discount for it being New (Other), then I would consider it. Especially with good feedback.

It depends on the Windows license you have. If you are using an OEM license, then the key is locked to the board you installed it on. Nothing prevents you from reusing the license other than the terms of conditions.
Old 05-30-2018, 02:06 PM   #5
Registered Member

My board is OEM. Another added cost. Maybe I get a new computer instead.
Old 06-08-2018, 08:28 PM   #6
Registered Member

UPDATE: I did not have to repurchase Windows. Got on the phone with Microsoft and they validated it.
Closed Thread