Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

built new computer and it turns on for 10 seconds and shuts off

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Tumbleweed36 
#1 ·
hey guys im new with this but i have a problem.. my friend and i build me a new computer to play counterstrike source on and well we ordered the parts and installed them and we went to turn the computer on and everything lighted up and fans ran but than after 10 seconds it shut off.. then if i turn it back on right away it stays running for 3 seconds

my computer specs

-Xion case
-Rosewill 400 watt power supply
-Intel Celeron D 356 Cedar Mill 3.33GHz 512KB L2 Cache LGA 775 Single-Core Processor
-Evga Geforce 7800GT graphic card
- ASRock 4CoreDual-SATA2 LGA 775 VIA PT880 Pro/PT880 Ultra ATX Intel Motherboard
- 2gigs of ram DDR
-maxtor hard drive 160gb 8mb 7200rpm

and i think thats it could anyone help me PLEASE i don't no what it could be other than my power supply being to small... HELP....

#3 · (Edited)
With your description, I see two possible problems:

First, the power supply you have chosen is not only too small, but is about as poor quality of power supply that you can purchase, so it most likely is not up to the job. If it will even run the rig, a power supply like that can damage other components over time.

Second, I suspect that you did not apply the thermal paste correctly and it is heating up very quickly and then cooling and you can run it again. The second time, it is already warm, so it heats up quicker and so on and so on, etc. HERE are Artic Silver Instructions that you need to follow when redoing the thermal paste.

I do suggest you do that and when you put it back together, make sure that Heatsink is snapped clear down with both legs in tightly.

#4 ·
ok well i figured out the problem.. the problem was the fan thing that goes over top of the processor was not snapped tot the motherboard tightly.. thank you guys for posting so quickly... i do on the other hand have another problem and my buddy's out of town..

i got it to stay running and all that but now all it does is go to a black screen with a _ flashing constantly... thats all it does so i called my buddy and he said to take my hard drive out and put it in the "old" comp that i'm using this moment and install windows on the hard drive so i did that and it was going and all that it was 78% done and it stopped doing stuff so i waited probably 5 minutes and i got impatient and restarted my computer then it said 1. go to windows or 2. install windows so i clicked what i did before and click #2 it said now that my hard drive is curupt and i need to wipe everything out of it... and then it shut the computer off. my question is how do i erase everything off of it?

thanks guys!

#5 ·
well, I'm not aware you can install windows on one computer and then put that hard drive in another computer, on boot it would be looking for the registry info from the original computer. As the os instal on the "old" computer got to 78% I would guess anything on it from before is gone. What operating system did you instal/were you going to instal on the new computer. There is something called killdisk, but get advice from others on this forum about if it is the right thing to use in this circumstance as presumably it would need to be downloaded on another computer, the hard disk put in to the other computer as slave, pointed to killdisk etc. I haven't used this prog so don't know too much about it. Do you think you are able to download the os to the "new" hard drive using the new build computer once the hard drive is cleared?

#6 ·
ok umm i was using a cd called system restore kit it contains operating system restore program. i did find another cd that is called operating system windows xp. i had the hard drive thats now in my new computer it was in my old computer but it wasn't the "primary hard drive" so all it had on it was some of my games.. what i need to do is install windows on the hard drive and when i put it into my new computer i go to the bios and i put the computer to boot for cd drive. when i do that nothing happens gut a black screen with a _ flashing. so i took out the hard drive and unplugged the hard drive in my old comp and put then new hd into the old computer and put the cd in. it then begins the steps and it gets to a point and says hd is corrupt due to no finishing the steps cuz i got impatient and restated the computer..

So i need to somehow wipe my hard drive and then install windows onto it.. i think thats what i need to do but i dont no how.. im new with computers i dont really no what "os" stands for or what not... can someone help me please... my new computer is sitting here getting lonely... :)

#7 ·
Normally, you should be able to put that restore disk in there and it would just to the job for you.

However, if there is some corruption that prevents that, then go to the hard drive manufacturer's website and download the utility that they offer for free. Put that on a floppy, put in in the drive and boot up. Then you can check the drive for errors. The utility will normally fix normal errors, then you can partition and format the drive from that utility.

When that is finished, then put the restore disk in and boot up and away it should go. Post back with questions/concerns.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.