Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU

User Tag List

booting up problems

This is a discussion on booting up problems within the Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, I just built my computer...everything is fine except for when i completely shut off my computer...when i turn it

Closed Thread

Old 09-17-2003, 06:12 AM   #1

Hi,

I just built my computer...everything is fine except for when i completely shut off my computer...when i turn it on again, it'll ask for a boot up disk (i.e. windows xp cd), it goes to the windows installation screen, which i then exit and then windows loads up normally...however, if all i do is reset my computer, then this does not happen and windows loads up normally.

Why the heck is this happening? I have my HD as my primary master and my cd rom as a secondary master.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2003, 05:17 PM   #2
Guru

This sounds like a really weird problem that someone will probably have a really simple solution for. Like maybe the boot finds an autorun.inf file in your C: root directory that shouldn't be there. But there's not much to go on here yet.

Sorry, but you will have to give a lot more details about your system first. Including your mobo model, all hard disk and CD models, all about how you have those drives cabled, and to what mobo ports they are attached. Then more folks will probably hop on with suggestions.

-clintfan
Old 09-17-2003, 05:52 PM   #3
SPEEDO

Sounds like the boot record has gone poo poo................:D

Try doing a repair by booting to the XP CD and following the prompts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2003, 06:41 PM   #4

Thanks guys...i called up asus and it turns out that i had to change my jumper on my hd from master to cable select...that fixed the problem right away

my mobo is a p4c800-E Deluxe and HD Western Digital Caviar Special Edition WD800JB 80GB ATA/100 7200RPM Hard Drive w/8MB Buffer
Closed Thread