Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU

User Tag List

Boot Devices not responding

This is a discussion on Boot Devices not responding within the Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi Guys, A week ago I decided to format an reinstall windows on an old computer, the HDD booted up

Closed Thread

Old 12-25-2009, 08:17 PM   #1

Hi Guys,

A week ago I decided to format an reinstall windows on an old computer, the HDD booted up without any problem (despite that the computer was amazingly slow), but when I tried to boot from the CD-ROM It didn't read the CD even when I checked the power connector and the IDE cable (it didn't boot from the floppy drive with an start disk either), because I needed to format the drive I installed it on another computer and reinstalled windows from there, my suprise was that when I put the HDD back on the original computer it didn't boot even when I checked the boot priority on the BIOS, then I decided to flash and upgrade the BIOS (taking into account the motherboard and the current version of the BIOS). I downloaded the last version of it from another pc and saved it into a floppy disk, after I upgraded the bios (surprinsinglly the bios upgrade utillity could read the floppy disk) the problem persisted no bootable device started, my second approach was a virus, I mounted the HDD on the other PC and used Kaspersky rescue cd to find viruses on the MBR and it was clean, finally I tried to mount another HDD on the old pc to know if it was a mobo problem, it was recognized by the POST but didn't boot, the same thing that happened with the original HDD of that pc.

So, any HDD that I mount on the old pc doesn't boot, even when they all boot on another pc (including the original), no other bootable device boots on that computer either, I guess it is a mobo problem but I ran out of ideas of how to solve it, Does any of you know another kind of test or method to know whats happening? Do you have a way to solve it?

Thanks for your support!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2009, 06:37 AM   #2
Emeritus

Any drive that you want the PC to boot from has to be set as the First Boot Device in the Bios.

PC Specs?
Prebuilt- Brand Name & Model Number
Custom Build- Brand & Model of Mobo-CPU-RAM-Graphics-PSU

Closed Thread