Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU

User Tag List

Bizarre Boot up Problem!

This is a discussion on Bizarre Boot up Problem! within the Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have a bizzarre problem with my PC not booting properly. The symptoms don't make any sense... The PC is

Closed Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 04:46 AM   #1
Registered Member

I have a bizzarre problem with my PC not booting properly. The symptoms don't make any sense...

The PC is a Mesh (UK) and about 18 months old. When I am away from home for more than two days and the machine has been powered down the following happens:

When I boot up the PC appears to boot normally, reaching the Vista Desktop screen. After a few moments the cursor freezes and the keyboard fails to respond. At this point, when I do a hard reboot the PC starts up but never reaches the POST stage. The screen indicates it is in "power save" mode and then goes blank. I then do numerous hard reboots (a dozen or more) until it finally reaches the POST stage and loads Windows normally. Provided I power up the machine once a day everything is fine. Until, however, it remains powered down for a few days, when I have to repeat this process.

I've checked the fans, and I've tried booting up without the modem so that no piled up software updates are causing it. I've cleaned the inside of the PC and everything appears to be connected properly. The monitor is fine.There appear to be no hardware or driver problems according to software I've got on the PC that looks for these things.

What is weird about this problem is the way it is linked to the PC being off for more than a day or so. What could this mean? If it is in regular daily use it is fine and boots normally. I would be very grateful if someone could throw some light on this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2010, 06:16 AM   #2
Emeritus

PC Specs?
Prebuilt- Brand Name & Model Number
Custom Build- Brand & Model of Mobo-CPU-RAM-Graphics- PSU

Old 08-25-2010, 07:45 AM   #3
Registered Member

Will post specs asap. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2010, 08:48 AM   #4
Registered Member

PC Specs as follows:

Mainboard : Asus P5N73-AM
Chipset : nVidia GeForce 7050
Processor : Intel Pentium Dual-Core E5200 @ 2500 MHz
Physical Memory : 4096 MB (2 x 2048 DDR2-SDRAM )
Video Card : NVIDIA GeForce 7050 / NVIDIA nForce 610i
Hard Disk : SAMSUNG (500 GB)
Monitor Type : LG Electronics L1919S - 19 inches
Operating System : Windows (TM) Vista Home Premium Home Edition 6.00.6002 Service Pack 2 (x64)

Hope this helps!!
Old 08-25-2010, 10:59 AM   #5
Emeritus

Brand & Model of the power supply?

Closed Thread