Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU

User Tag List

BIOS Rootkit?!?!? (by process of elimination)

This is a discussion on BIOS Rootkit?!?!? (by process of elimination) within the Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Long story... I have a laptop (Compaq Presario v3000t) which runs Windows XPSP2. I thought I had all my updates

Closed Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 10:09 PM   #1

Question

Long story...

I have a laptop (Compaq Presario v3000t) which runs Windows XPSP2. I thought I had all my updates for both OS and apps, but somehow (I think it was the kids getting on the sites they did--gaming and myspace, etc), the laptop got hacked. It was behind a router and software firewall/antivirus suite.

There were assorted trojans and keyloggers on there, which came off after reformat (with recovery disk). However, the laptop now will not allow the install of Mcafee, Norton, ZoneAlarm, or any other security software. It looks like it is installing it, but says it has to reboot, then the security software is no longer installed after reboot. It does the same thing with some of the Windows updates.

I have also tried reformat/reinstall with Windows XP OS disk, as well as XP Recovery Console /fixboot and /fixmbr, all to no avail. I also tried some disk erase utilities on the ubcd (ultimate boot cd), and checked those manually with a hex editor, and the disk was clean, all 0's. Then when I reinstalled Windows xp, the same thing happened with the security suites and the windows updates as happened above.

Just to see what would happen, I installed Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon, and at first it looked okay, but then it would not let me install any security software either, and eventually started trying to lock me out of various functions. Checking the logs in Ubuntu, I found I had been demoted from Network Admin to Local Machine Admin.

I configured my router to log everything. Through the logs, I found out this computer is trying to "call home" literally every 5 minutes to a certain ip address, (supposedly brand new) registered in Australia, according to whois.

Through process of elimination, I am wondering if this is some type of BIOS rootkit? It survived both Windows and Linux reformats and reinstalls, and if it was in the MBR, /fixmbr should have taken care of it.

Does this sound like a BIOS rootkit (or some type of BIOS malware)? I would like someone else's take on this. I googled BIOS rootkit, and it was a topic of discussion 2 or so years ago and people thought it was science fiction, but it sounds like what I am dealing with!

Thank You in advance for your help!!

Ndnsummer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2008, 10:11 PM   #2

ALSO, I had set BIOS passwords on the laptop, both admin and user when I got it last year, and while working on this, when I went to check on the settings in the BIOS, my passwords had been removed and were blank.
Old 03-17-2008, 12:28 AM   #3
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

it sounds like it is still infected follow the 5 steps here
https://www.techsupportforum.com/showthread.php?t=15968

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2008, 02:06 AM   #4

Thank You so much for answering my post!!!

I have Ubuntu on it right now, I should reformat/reinstall back into XP before I take the five steps? I would think so, but just making sure.

Thank You Again,

ndnsummer
Old 03-17-2008, 08:55 AM   #5
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

if you do the 5 steps you should get away without a format

Old 03-17-2008, 02:58 PM   #6
Troubled

My System

try this too: https://free.grisoft.com/doc/download-free-anti-rootkit/ and this https://free.grisoft.com/doc/5390/us/frt/0?prd=afl
Closed Thread