Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU

User Tag List

BIOS problem...I think

This is a discussion on BIOS problem...I think within the Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hey first post everyone! Ok so my computer turns on and runs memory check and then the next screen is

Closed Thread

Old 01-16-2006, 07:12 PM   #1

Hey first post everyone!

Ok so my computer turns on and runs memory check and then the next screen is the one that shows the hd info...a list of my devices and their device number and irq numbers. And that's where it stops. I thought it was a conflict with the irqs but messed with them and I'm pretty confident that's not the problem. I also know my hard drive works (I tried it on another working computer and it started up just fine).

Any help in fixing this would be great...It's been a long time since I've started this computer (got a laptop and stuck with that) but last I knew it wasn't having this problem.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2006, 07:28 PM   #2

Hi, and welcome to TSF. Given that you have played with the values in the bios, The first thing I would suggest is for you to get back into bios and set the defaults. Usually a matter of F6, or F7, answer yes to the "do you want to set the defaults"? , save and exit. See if this gets a normal boot.
Old 01-16-2006, 07:37 PM   #3
OmegaDawn

Sounds like this could be a problem with the CMOS battery on the
motherboard,since it hasn't been used or charged for a while.
It's a flat watch battery on the motherboard.
Replace it with a new one and see what happens.
The batteries are inexpensive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2006, 01:54 PM   #4

I've tried setting to the defaults a couple times...nothing new happened. As far as the battery goes, I'll try using a new one...but the date was correct in BIOS which makes me think the battery has been working fine...I'll still try it and let ya know.

Thanks guys.
Old 01-17-2006, 06:18 PM   #5
TSF Team Emeritus

My System

Hi,

Can you boot from a cd or floppy? If so try reseating the ide cable for the hard drive assuming its ide, both at the motherboard and drive itself.
try another ide cable.

If nogo

Try removing all the cards except video and all the drives except the boot hdd and see if it will boot.

You could also try the hdd on the secondary ide channel (the one the cd drive is connected to) to see if there is a problem with the primary channel.

Good luck

Rick
Old 01-18-2006, 03:57 PM   #6
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

list your system specs including the power supply details

Closed Thread