User Tag List

Bios password

This is a discussion on Bios password within the Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, I have a Presario 2540EA with 512MB RAM (both slots are occupied with 256MB each). Recently, I notice that

Closed Thread

Old 01-19-2006, 04:13 AM   #1

Hi,

I have a Presario 2540EA with 512MB RAM (both slots are occupied with 256MB each). Recently, I notice that my computer was a bit slow and I did a format on the hard drive and I re-install the XP windows SP2. After a couple of days I did notice again that the computer was again slow and with the help of a quick diagnostic it came up that slot 1 from the RAM is not recognised. So at the moment I am left with only 256MB (slot 2 is recognised). My first though was that I need new RAM but after some testing (changing the RAM from slot 1 to 2 and via versa) the conclusion is that the RAM is fine the problem is with the slot. So I thought I might have to change settings in BIOS. My problem at the moment is that when I start the BIOS it requires a password that I do not know. Any suggestions?
Is my approach (changing settings in BIOS) is correct?

Thanks in advance

George
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2006, 04:48 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Send a message via MSN to linderman
George:

I have never experienced any bios settings that allow you to turn on or off a memory slot >>>> however many times there are memory configurations to consider >>>> like sometimes a computer can run with one stick of single sided memory and it can also run with two sticks of single sided memory but it wont run correctly with one single sided memory stick and one double sided memory stick ?????? such a configuration mismatch may well be your problem or a bad motherboard:

as to the bios password: are you the ligit owner of this PC ??????
Old 01-19-2006, 11:03 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by linderman
George:

I have never experienced any bios settings that allow you to turn on or off a memory slot >>>> however many times there are memory configurations to consider >>>> like sometimes a computer can run with one stick of single sided memory and it can also run with two sticks of single sided memory but it wont run correctly with one single sided memory stick and one double sided memory stick ?????? such a configuration mismatch may well be your problem or a bad motherboard:

as to the bios password: are you the ligit owner of this PC ??????
Thanks for your reply,

Both memories are identical which I pressume that there is no mis-configuration, and to add to that the copmuter was running with 512MB on RAM for the last 2.5 years suggesting that something went wrong the last month or so. I called the technical support of HP and they said that probably is the motherboard, they don't know if they can change only the probematic RAM slot. Which means that I have to send the computer for service. This means that I will not have my computer for at least 2-3 weeks.
As for your last remark, yes I am the ligit owner of the PC. The computer was bought from one of the big computer chains here in Greece.

Thanks

George
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2006, 04:45 AM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Send a message via MSN to linderman
George:

if the computer is not under warranty I suggest YOU change you motherboard with a non HP board.

I did not mean any offense to you on the legit owner part >>>> but we got alot of posters in here asking how to by pass the admin password so they can modify software or add software without the knowledge of the admin or IT guy
in a corporate enviro >>> thats a no-no

and the last poster that wanted to clear the bios password turned out not to be the owner of the laptop ????

goodluck

joe
Old 01-20-2006, 05:37 AM   #5

well, clearing the cmos will blank out the password and give you access to the bios. it's unlikely it will fix your problem though, but for future times at least you'll know what to do.
Closed Thread