User Tag List

Bad Mobo?

This is a discussion on Bad Mobo? within the Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I'm building a new PC and I'm at a bit of a roadblock. I can't tell if my mobo is

Closed Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 05:10 PM   #1

I'm building a new PC and I'm at a bit of a roadblock. I can't tell if my mobo is bad or something else is wrong.

mobo is an ECS G31T-M
intel core2 quad q6600 processor
500w atx 12v PSU
Maxtor 6Y060M0 SATA HDD

When I power the machine on, the heatsink fan spins and I can hear the HDD power on, but the CD Rom drive isn't getting power and I'm not getting anything on the monitor. The CD ROM and HDD are old, everything else is brand new. I tried my old PSU and got the same result. Is this a faulty motherboard?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2008, 12:15 AM   #2

your drive isn't getting any power. you even changed power supplies, and still no power. Assuming you cheked all the connections are snug and connected properly, your drive is most likely dead since it's an old drive. unplug the IDE/SATA cable from your drive, and see if it gets power after that?

try a different VGA card if you have one as well... if neither work, then it's prolly the motherboard or maybe your mobo doesn't support the q6600?

deduction....
PSU is fine
HDD is fine
CDRom MAYBE dead - try different cdrom, unplug completely to continue troubleshooting other components
VGA Card maybe dead - swap VGA cards
Mobo maybe dead
CPU maybe dead
RAM maybe faulty - use only one stick if you're running dual channel, try both sticks independently.
Closed Thread