User Tag List

Bad MOB?

This is a discussion on Bad MOB? within the Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have a PowerSpec B901 with MS Windows 7 Home premium 64-bit SP1 Intel Core2quad CPU Q6700 @ 2.66Hz, 4.0GB

Closed Thread

Old 06-20-2014, 06:38 AM   #1
Registered Member

I have a PowerSpec B901 with MS Windows 7 Home premium 64-bit SP1 Intel Core2quad CPU Q6700 @ 2.66Hz, 4.0GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce 9500 GT with PCI Express 2.0.

My mother board is a ECS MCP73PVT-SM 1.0 my power supply is silencer MK II 500watt 3 years old.

I bought a GIGABYTE GA-G41MT-S2PT LGA 775 Intel G41 + ICH7 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard to replace my old one but to use the same Intel chip. I also bought CORSAIR XMS3 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Desktop Memory Model CMX8GX3M2A1333C9 for memory.

Pulled out the old MOB, took the Intel chip out and put it into the new one. Went to start it, no boot up, no BIOS screen and the system fan wouldn't work. Did it twice to make sure what I did was right. Same outcome. My buddy took the Corsiar memory chips and put them into his computer and they work fine.

Put everything back into my old MOB and my computer is working fine. Am I to assume that the new MOB is a bad one? Or am I missing something?

Thanks for your time!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2014, 06:58 AM   #2
Emeritus

Bench test
Remove EVERYTHING from the case.
Set the motherboard on a non conductive surface. The motherboard box is perfect for this. DO NOT PLACE THE MOTHERBOARD ON THE STATIC BAG! It can actually conduct electricity!
Install the CPU and heat sink.
Install 1 stick of RAM.
Install the video card and attach the power supply connection(s) to the card if your card needs it.
Connect the monitor to the video card.
Connect the power supply to the motherboard with both the 24pin main ATX Power connection and the separate 4 pin (Dual Core CPU) or 8 pin (Quad Core CPU) power connection.
Connect power to the power supply.
Do NOT connect ANYTHING else. Make sure you have the power connector on the CPU fan connected.
Use a small screwdriver to momentarily short the power switch connector on the motherboard. Consult your motherboard manual to find which two pins connect to your case's power switch. Then touch both pins with a screwdriver to complete the circuit and boot the system.

If all is well, it should power up and you should get a display. Then assemble the parts into the case and try again. If the system now fails to boot, you have a short in the case and need to recheck your motherboard standoffs.

If the system does not boot after this process, then you most likely have a faulty component. You'll need to swap parts, start with the power supply, until you determine what is defective.

Quick Mobo check- with no RAM, boot, listen for beep codes from the Mobo speaker. No RAM and no beeps indicates a Mobo problem.
NOTE: A Mobo speaker is required.

Old 06-20-2014, 07:05 AM   #3
Registered Member

We did it all twice same results. MOB did nothing. it would start than stop the MOB fan would come on thn off..no noise nothing but the MOB fan and lights on the case. put the old back in and everything works fine. Buddy checked the new memory chips they work fine. So I think its safe to assume bad MOB? What say you?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2014, 01:14 PM   #4
Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyree View Post

Quick Mobo check- with no RAM, boot, listen for beep codes from the Mobo speaker. No RAM and no beeps indicates a Mobo problem.
NOTE: A Mobo speaker is required.
If you tried the above and got no beeps, I would RMA the Mobo.

Old 06-20-2014, 05:06 PM   #5
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Have you tried it with the old Ram?
There may be a compatibility issue.
Looking at the Manufacturers QVL for Ram, there is no 4GB modules supported at 1333MHz (downgraded to 1066)
Closed Thread