Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios & CPU

User Tag List

ATX 12v 2x4

This is a discussion on ATX 12v 2x4 within the Motherboards, Bios & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi I'm no computer expert but I have a new power supply and I didn't realize my motherboard has an

Closed Thread

Old 04-21-2018, 09:46 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hi I'm no computer expert but I have a new power supply and I didn't realize my motherboard has an ATX 12v 2x4 connector. The new power supply is https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 can anyone give advice on what cord I need to buy so it can work with my motherboard? I was trying to do some research but I couldn't quite find an answer. Thanks, much appreciated to anyone who gives advice. I can provide pictures if needed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2018, 01:59 AM   #2
Administrator
Team Manager, Gaming
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
Team Manager, Hardware Team
Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Do you mean the CPU power socket 4x4 plug or the ATX 20x4?

What motherboard to you have and what is the model number of the current PSU?

https://www.pcpowerandcooling.com/wp...1050-A4M00.pdf
Old 04-22-2018, 07:56 AM   #3
Registered Member

For the CPU but I believe it's 2x4. Here is the motherboard: [CrossFireX] GIGABYTE Z87-HD3 Intel Z87 Chipset DDR3 ATX Mainboard w/ Ultra Durable 4 Plus, 7.1 HD Audio, GbLAN, 2 PCIe x16 (1 Gen3, 1 Gen2), 2 PCIe x1 & 2 PCI (Pro OC Certified) and the PSU - 1,000 Watts - Cooler Master Silent Pro M 80 Plus Power Supply. This was copy and paste from my invoice so please let me know if you need more info. Thank you for helping out so far
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2018, 09:58 AM   #4
Administrator
Team Manager, Gaming
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
Team Manager, Hardware Team
Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

The PCP&C comes with 2 4x4 cpu connectors you should have no problem using 1 of them on the Z87 board
Old 04-22-2018, 12:46 PM   #5
Registered Member

https://imgur.com/a/SfBIRfY

Uh sorry I just need clarification, the picture is what is needed to connect to the motherboard and none of the cords that came with the new power supply have a 2x4 connector that fits.
Old 04-22-2018, 02:17 PM   #6
Game Team Tech

according to this video you only need to fit four or the pins to make it work is the eight pins don't fit.
Old 04-22-2018, 03:33 PM   #7
Registered Member

so, I feel like an idiot, turns out I did have the proper cord the entire just overlooked it. I do have another issue though. With this new Power supply, I'm running into the same I issue I'm having with the old. My two front fans aren't moving, one fan on the video card isn't moving and 2 other fans connected to the motherboard are slow. Is this a possible motherboard issue because this has occurred with two separate Power supplies?

Edit: Side note - My computer was shutting down randomly, mainly when I would have twitch/youtube open and had a game open as well. I thought it was a power related issue. Then my fans stopped spinning, which prompted me to buy a new Power supply.
Old 04-22-2018, 06:52 PM   #8
Team Manager - Hardware
Acting Manager, Security Center

My System

It almost has to be a motherboard controller issue as Cooler Master psus are poor quality but you bought way over your power needs so that should not matter.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and more effectively.
Closed Thread