Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios & CPU

User Tag List

Asus X540MA - Fan Spinning Too Slow

This is a discussion on Asus X540MA - Fan Spinning Too Slow within the Motherboards, Bios & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Good day TSF! I have X540MA laptop by Asus. The temperature is getting around 67-73C, and I believe that the

Closed Thread

Old 01-13-2019, 06:35 AM   #1
Registered Member

My System

Send a message via Skype™ to xtechnouser

Good day TSF!

I have X540MA laptop by Asus. The temperature is getting around 67-73C, and I believe that the fan is spinning too slow even on this temperature range. Whenever I enter the BIOS, the system reports that the fan is in 0 RPM. What should I do?

The power mode is in Balanced, but the Cooling is Active for both Battery and Plugged In scenarios.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2019, 07:27 AM   #2
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Have you changed the fan setting to auto or silent if it's on silent then change it to auto. if can be found here https://www.asus.com/uk/Laptops/ASUS...40MA/HelpDesk/ under hardware.

Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth.
Old 01-13-2019, 07:40 AM   #3
Registered Member

My System

Sir, I cannot see the MyASUS App?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2019, 07:54 AM   #4
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

I have no idea why your looking for that see here https://www.asus.com/uk/support/FAQ/1038576

Old 01-13-2019, 07:56 AM   #5
Registered Member

My System

Where can I download that App sir? I think it is not installed or has been uninstalled.
Old 01-13-2019, 08:04 AM   #6
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

If you need the app it's on the Asus website, I don't see why you think it is needed, you were meant to click on the Hardware link.

You may find the app here you need to fill in the info asked for https://www.asus.com/support/Download-Center/

Old 01-13-2019, 08:08 AM   #7
Registered Member

My System

I don't understand sir, sorry. I already registered my product on my Asus Account, but then I cannot find any MyASUS App download link even on Drivers and Tools / Firmware Download Sections.
Old 01-13-2019, 08:22 AM   #8
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Right so have you tried typing My Asus App into cortana that may let you connect to the Windows app store and download the app that is all I can suggest, for any further info you would have to search the links here https://www.asus.com/uk/Laptops/ASUS...esk_Knowledge/

Old 01-13-2019, 08:26 AM   #9
Registered Member

My System

Even if I search the Windows Store, there is no MyASUS App available for download, even for Asus Website sir, no link for MyASUS App.
Old 01-13-2019, 08:34 AM   #10
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

It appears to have been pulled from the store https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/my...ot:overviewtab
it seems there was some problem with it as folks like yourself were unable to reinstall it after some windows updates.

Old 01-13-2019, 08:38 AM   #11
Registered Member

My System

Oh my, how can I alternatively change the fan settings sir?
Old 01-13-2019, 08:45 AM   #12
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

There no other way I am aware of, perhaps contact Asus support for further help.

Old 01-13-2019, 07:00 PM   #13
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Is this a newly purchased laptop or have you had it for a while? If you've had it for a while (how long?), has the fan noticeably slowed down than it used to be? Is 67-73C its idle temperatures? The cooling schemes that you set in Windows' Power Options are NOT effective outside Windows, so they have no effect while in BIOS setup. In BIOS you may find an option to keep the fan always on while plugged into AC power, so toggle it as needed, but this may not be necessary at all. If the laptop is not overheating to a point of throttling down the cpu speed or shutting down due to overheating, I wouldn't worry about it's fan speed. Have you run any stress tests to push the temps as high as they can get? You can do so using Prime95 (Google it) while watching the temperatures. You can use HWMONITOR or Core Temp to monitor the temperatures while stress testing the cpu. I recommend Core Temp because it also shows the maximum T-junction temperature for the cpu so that you can see how close the actual temperatures are to the T-junction. You could post a screenshot of what HWMONITOR or Core Temp so that we can see what you see.
Old 01-14-2019, 07:21 AM   #14
Registered Member

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stancestans View Post
Is this a newly purchased laptop or have you had it for a while? If you've had it for a while (how long?), has the fan noticeably slowed down than it used to be? Is 67-73C its idle temperatures? The cooling schemes that you set in Windows' Power Options are NOT effective outside Windows, so they have no effect while in BIOS setup. In BIOS you may find an option to keep the fan always on while plugged into AC power, so toggle it as needed, but this may not be necessary at all. If the laptop is not overheating to a point of throttling down the cpu speed or shutting down due to overheating, I wouldn't worry about it's fan speed. Have you run any stress tests to push the temps as high as they can get? You can do so using Prime95 (Google it) while watching the temperatures. You can use HWMONITOR or Core Temp to monitor the temperatures while stress testing the cpu. I recommend Core Temp because it also shows the maximum T-junction temperature for the cpu so that you can see how close the actual temperatures are to the T-junction. You could post a screenshot of what HWMONITOR or Core Temp so that we can see what you see.
Good day sir! I just purchased the laptop on the mid of December. The 67+C is just on surfing the internet, no games (Pentium N5000 Silver). Unfortunately sir, there are no Fan Options which I can choose from in the BIOS. I am not worry with fan speed sir, it is just a bit uncomfortable for me using the laptop because of its keyboard getting hot. I am using CoreTemp and HWMonitor. Luckily, the fan is now spinning around 1080 RPM, and the SpeedFan Software detects it, not like the other night, which the SpeedFan reports 457485057490?? RPM.
Old 01-14-2019, 07:35 AM   #15
Registered Member

My System

I don't know what I did, but the BIOS is now detecting my fan to be spinning around 1080 RPM. Which my first time to see it reports that way, even the CPU temp, the BIOS is now reporting around 41C. I don't know what I've done, but I'm happy.
Old 01-14-2019, 07:45 AM   #16
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Good to hear.

Old 01-14-2019, 05:32 PM   #17
Registered Member

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeten View Post
Good to hear.
Good day sir! Just a little bit of a question on upgrading my laptop. Is changing to SSD from HDD give me a percentage of boost? My laptop is too slow, mainly for office works only.

Pentium N5000 Silver
4GB DDR4L (Fixed, Non-replaceable, Non-upgradable)
Intel UHD 605 Graphics (No dedicated GPU)
500GB Hard Disk Drive
Old 01-14-2019, 08:54 PM   #18
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

If the palm-rest is getting hot enough to make you uncomfortable, return it since it's barely a month old. According to its product page here https://www.asus.com/Laptops/ASUS-Laptop-X540MA/, it shouldn't get warmer than body temperature at the palm-rest. It's also powerful enough to handle Windows 10 and Office applications comfortably and at acceptable speeds, UNLESS you're comparing it to another laptop that had an SSD and expecting the same Windows and application startup speeds. If it is as slow as you claim it is and getting that hot, then it probably has a defect, maybe the hard drive is overheating (HWMONITOR's screenshot would come in handy right now), or there actually is a cooling problem, so return it and get it checked. However, if the temperature is no longer a concern, then in what way is it too slow? Is it slow to boot, open applications, load webpages? Of course an SSD will boost speeds several times over and also offer better physical data security as a result of it not having any moving parts inside unlike HDDs.
Closed Thread