Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios & CPU

User Tag List

ASUS Rock B85M Pro4 and nvme ssd?

This is a discussion on ASUS Rock B85M Pro4 and nvme ssd? within the Motherboards, Bios & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. https://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/B85%20Pro4/index.asp I know it is an oldie, but it still does the job for me. If I install a nvme

Old 03-15-2020, 08:35 PM   #1
TSF Enthusiast

https://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/B85%20Pro4/index.asp I know it is an oldie, but it still does the job for me. If I install a nvme adapter and nvme ssd card, will it be able to boot up from the nvme? I have Ubuntu 18 on it now and would like to continue with it. The link I put here gives a lot of info, but I can't tell from what is listed, if it will boot or not.
pengyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2020, 11:07 PM   #2
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

It should, but you must update the BIOS first. According to https://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/B85%...index.asp#BIOS NVMe support was added in bios version 2.40 released in 2016. Follow BIOS flashing instructions to the letter and take heed of the warnings about flashing the BIOS. Flashing the wrong bios or interrupting the flashing process can brick your motherboard. A power loss during the flashing process, for example, can be devastating! A UPS comes in handy in such cases, especially if your location has rampant unexpected power interruptions.
Stancestans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 01:53 AM   #3
Hardware Tech Team

My System

Regarding Intel B85 mobos though you can get a nvme compliant BIOS it's relegated to being a storage drive only, meaning you can't boot from it without a lot of trickery. I did get it to 'boot' from a Z87 which is essentially in the same class in a B85 mobo but I had to employ way too much finesse technically. Not worth it.
SpareChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2020, 02:20 AM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stancestans View Post
It should, but you must update the BIOS first. According to https://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/B85%...index.asp#BIOS NVMe support was added in bios version 2.40 released in 2016. Follow BIOS flashing instructions to the letter and take heed of the warnings about flashing the BIOS. Flashing the wrong bios or interrupting the flashing process can brick your motherboard. A power loss during the flashing process, for example, can be devastating! A UPS comes in handy in such cases, especially if your location has rampant unexpected power interruptions.
"Regarding Intel B85 mobos though you can get a nvme compliant BIOS it's relegated to being a storage drive only, meaning you can't boot from it without a lot of trickery. I did get it to 'boot' from a Z87 which is essentially in the same class in a B85 mobo but I had to employ way too much finesse technically. Not worth it."

Not trying to start a war here...but are you in agreement - that the mobo can access the nvme but not as a boot-up drive? or not easily so?
pengyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 02:23 AM   #5
Hardware Tech Team

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by pengyou View Post
"Regarding Intel B85 mobos though you can get a nvme compliant BIOS it's relegated to being a storage drive only, meaning you can't boot from it without a lot of trickery. I did get it to 'boot' from a Z87 which is essentially in the same class in a B85 mobo but I had to employ way too much finesse technically. Not worth it."

Not trying to start a war here...but are you in agreement - that the mobo can access the nvme but not as a boot-up drive? or not easily so?
Who said anything about a war? One way to know is to buy the nvme SSD with the adapter - update BIOS via previous advice and find out. very simple. Either it works or it doesn't.
Old 03-16-2020, 02:48 AM   #6
Hardware Tech Team

My System

Before i hitch off to bed I will just say, before you take any advice here (even from me) please email asrock directly and as them if any fo the "nvme added support" BIOS means that one can actually boot from the said nvme SSD. I did try it with a few B85's, Z77/Z87 (and AMD 970) motherboards and although I was able to get one AsRock Z77 and one Asus Z87 board to boot from the nvme SSD's it wasn't full rated throughput and required too much input (from me) to get it working. For a regular builder it's a no-go proposition and not worth the time. That said, Asrock, in particular has put out some new BIOS versions that seemingly would indicate nvme SSD "support" but I would email them about those claims and exactly what they mean and if you can actually boot to your OS with an nvme SSD adapter and the drive.
Old 03-16-2020, 02:54 AM   #7
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

I think we are in agreement. However, a BIOS update or modification is NOT required to access a PCIe connected NVMe SSD as a data drive on Intel 6 series boards and above. Asrock didn't have to update the BIOS for the B85 board just to accomplish this. A BIOS update is only required when booting from PCIe is needed. I could be wrong and I stand corrected if that's the case. Here's my reference https://www.win-raid.com/t871f50-Gui...UEFI-BIOS.html

Here https://arstechnica.com/civis/viewto...?f=8&t=1404931 is a case of successful boot from NVMe SSD on the said Z87 board by Asrock, after the necessary BIOS update and no other technical tinkery beyond what is already provided for by the new BIOS.

A thread you might want to look at here How To Install Windows On A PCIe SSD - ASRock Forums - Page 1

Although it talks about Windows, the concept is the same for Linux install as well.
Stancestans is offline   Reply With Quote