Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU

User Tag List

Asus P5LP-LE help! I need to update or unlock bios.

This is a discussion on Asus P5LP-LE help! I need to update or unlock bios. within the Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Ok first these are my specs. https://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/g...1002_USEN#N308 Except I changed the RAM to 3 gigs and changed the graphic card

Closed Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 02:40 PM   #1

Ok first these are my specs.

https://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/g...1002_USEN#N308

Except I changed the RAM to 3 gigs
and changed the graphic card to Nvidia 8600 gt.
Also I have Vista Unlimited (Ok I had to search around and my uncle builds pc's he had it validated for real this time, HAPPY?)
I've bean searching to overclock these boards for hours and days. I finaly came along a modded bios witch wouldn't install on my comp. If anybody can make a modded bios for me I would be more than greatfull.
I shearched for every possible way to unlock my bios or overclock my prossesor.
So yesterday I disided to give up and do a crutial Update for the bios. It's crutial if you have Vista on it. Again I go the the website to get the update and it doesn't work. The download I mean it just hangs. I use Internet Download manager. If I try using the regular Ie download. It just downloads the image and says not a vilid win 32 program. Obviously meaning it didn't download.

https://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/g...reg_R1002_USEN

So I went to another place to find the update. Downloaded it and It says I don't meat the minimum requirments! The minimum requirment are that you have Vista and run as an Administraitor. Don't give me the it's not validated crap. Vista is Vista. I have both and nothing! I've done a bios update before when I updated to 3.17.

So i'm basicaly screwed because my prossesor needs the crutial update for the bios for better performance on Vista. Also I can't overclock. So If anybody has any solutions please HELP!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2007, 03:06 PM   #2
I helped the forums.

OS: XP-Pro Sp2 & XP-Pro Sp2 Tablet Edition, Vista Ultimate, Win 7

My System

You should understand that most pre built computers like HP lock many of the portions of the bios that allow for overclocking. There is no way to unlock it, thus your overclocking will be severly limited if any at all. When you download a bios file its extension is typically XXXXX.ROM, it is not a valid win32 program, you need to follow the directions from HP on what to do with the file to update your bios (save it to floppy, cd etc) and use the appropriate program from HP to flash the bios. Once you have the updated version of the bios to run Vista you should therefore be able to go to Vista's update site and download what else you need.
Old 08-02-2007, 05:06 PM   #3
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

with all the upgrading did you include the power supply
in the bios see if you can disable the hp splash screen,on my lenovo laptop this brings up the bios you don't normally see

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2007, 05:44 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by twajetmech View Post
You should understand that most pre built computers like HP lock many of the portions of the bios that allow for overclocking. There is no way to unlock it, thus your overclocking will be severly limited if any at all. When you download a bios file its extension is typically XXXXX.ROM, it is not a valid win32 program, you need to follow the directions from HP on what to do with the file to update your bios (save it to floppy, cd etc) and use the appropriate program from HP to flash the bios. Once you have the updated version of the bios to run Vista you should therefore be able to go to Vista's update site and download what else you need.
No no you miss understood. First, My bios I doesn't need floppys to upgrade. My computer doesn't have an A:drive anyway. My bios are flashable. I have Vista. My problem is I can't upgrade my bios for some reason. The file that HP put up wont download. This is after I tried to unlock. I have all the approprieate programs. I've flashed my bios before. To flash all you need is that one file. but it won't download from their site. I found it somwhere else but that one won't work. All you need Is Vista to run the flash file.
Old 08-02-2007, 05:48 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dai View Post
with all the upgrading did you include the power supply
in the bios see if you can disable the hp splash screen,on my lenovo laptop this brings up the bios you don't normally see
I'm sorry can you be more clear? The power is what it is it's just there I never changed or anything. I've never pulled the prongs from it from 1 and 2 to 2 and 3. I heard you unlock it like that or something. Like a password thing. I'm good with computers but I don't realy mess with bios. Im not in that leagu yet. So I don't know how to disable the splash screen?
Old 08-02-2007, 05:58 PM   #6
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

brand name computers when you upgrade always check the power requirements required to run after the upgrade usually video cards and psu upgrades go hand in hand
look on the bios screen you do see and see if there is an option to disable the splash screen
if the splash screen is listed click on it and see if the option to enable disable comes up
i have never worked with hp so don't know
https://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...uct=58659#N382

Old 08-02-2007, 06:31 PM   #7

Quote:
brand name computers when you upgrade always check the power requirements required to run after the upgrade usually video cards and psu upgrades go hand in hand
look on the bios screen you do see and see if there is an option to disable the splash screen
if the splash screen is listed click on it and see if the option to enable disable comes up
i have never worked with hp so don't know
https://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...uct=58659#N382
No sorry I don't see the splash screen. I'm sorry for the misunderstanding but i'm not computer illiterate. i know how the bios work and how to change them. I just don't like messing with tham. Like for example: I know how to change the fan speed but don't know what's safe to set it to.
Old 08-02-2007, 06:33 PM   #8
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

did you look at the hp link i gave you it explains how to access it in there

Old 08-02-2007, 06:48 PM   #9

Quote:
did you look at the hp link i gave you it explains how to access it in there
yea i didn't see anything about a splash screen in there.
Old 08-02-2007, 06:54 PM   #10
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

Entering the BIOS Setup utility
You may have difficulty accessing the BIOS Setup utility screen, because you must press a specific key (usually F1, or Esc) very quickly before the Windows screen appears. If you do not enter the BIOS Setup screen on your first try, repeat the following steps until you are successful.
To open the BIOS Setup screen:
Turn off the computer and wait about 5 seconds.
Turn on the computer.
When the first screen appears, press the F1 or F10 key on the keyboard. (You can press the key more than once.) The BIOS Setup Utility Main menu appears. NOTE: On certain Compaq Presario PCs (prior to 2002) press the F10 key at the logo screen to enter setup.

Use the keyboard to navigate through the menus.

Old 08-02-2007, 07:18 PM   #11

Quote:
Entering the BIOS Setup utility
You may have difficulty accessing the BIOS Setup utility screen, because you must press a specific key (usually F1, or Esc) very quickly before the Windows screen appears. If you do not enter the BIOS Setup screen on your first try, repeat the following steps until you are successful.
To open the BIOS Setup screen:
Turn off the computer and wait about 5 seconds.
Turn on the computer.
When the first screen appears, press the F1 or F10 key on the keyboard. (You can press the key more than once.) The BIOS Setup Utility Main menu appears. NOTE: On certain Compaq Presario PCs (prior to 2002) press the F10 key at the logo screen to enter setup.

Use the keyboard to navigate through the menus.
I got into the bios screen. But what I want to edit is grey. That's what i've bean saying. Also i don't see anything about a splash screen? Oh by the way thanks for fixing the post.
Old 08-02-2007, 07:31 PM   #12
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

might be easier to replace it
https://esupport.com/forms/leads/bios_upgradeform3.cfm
https://scan.esupport.com/?r=36&CFID=...TOKEN=10870562

Old 08-02-2007, 07:39 PM   #13

If I do that I would have to replace a lot. Like my cable card. Mostly everything is intergrated. Thanks for trying, I mean sombody did have a modded bios but I gues It won't work on my PC becaus my bios is at the same version as his.
Old 08-02-2007, 07:51 PM   #14

If anybody has anyother suggestions please be free to help. I'm so despret i'm willing to donate.
Old 08-02-2007, 07:52 PM   #15
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

you get a bios that is written for your computer,run the scan and see what they come up with

Old 08-02-2007, 07:56 PM   #16

Quote:
you get a bios that is written for your computer,run the scan and see what they come up with
What scan? Sorry can you be more spucific and I realy Appriciate the help. If you mean by If when I donloaded bios for my computer. yes and no. Well hear how it is. hp doesn't give me updates on my pc anymore. But the Update for the bios was for my specific bios.
Old 08-02-2007, 07:58 PM   #17
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

are you bothering to look at the links

Old 08-02-2007, 08:02 PM   #18

Quote:
are you bothering to look at the links
I'm sorry there wasn't a link. I'm doing the scan now...
BIOS Agent Scan Results:
Print

Computer name: MADBLASTER6-PC
Your Ticket #: 31JWRGC
BIOS Type: Unknown
BIOS Date: April 20th 2006
BIOS ID: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
BIOS OEM: Unknown
Chipset: Unknown
SuperIO: Unknown
Manufacturer: HP-CPC - 42302e31
Motherboard: Unknown
Maximum Memory: UnknownMB
Installed Memory: UnknownMB

Now what? I wait?
Old 08-02-2007, 09:30 PM   #19
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

fill the form in and see if they have a bios update
https://esupport.com/forms/leads/bios_upgradeform3.cfm

Old 08-07-2007, 07:46 PM   #20

Nope nothing they couldn't even find the 5.16 update. Nither can HP even though on their site they have it as Crutial for Vista.
Closed Thread