Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU

User Tag List

ASUS P5E LGA 775 Intel X38 ATX Intel Motherboard

This is a discussion on ASUS P5E LGA 775 Intel X38 ATX Intel Motherboard within the Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I am a computer nerd that knows nothing about putting together a pc. I just computer parts and am about

Closed Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 02:05 AM   #1

I am a computer nerd that knows nothing about putting together a pc. I just computer parts and am about to try to do the motherboard tomarrow. I looked at it before I went to work tonight and was immediatly confused... I had no clue what to do, so i have been researching but i want ot double check with a live human....

first i gotta ask, because i tried... how do I put the I/O shield on the back? I couldnt get it to stay on.

I put the 9 standoffs (are these the screws that screw in and then can be screwed into the top of them also?) in the case and then put the motherboard ontop of this and screw it in??? and thats it.... besides connecting the heatsink and stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2008, 02:27 AM   #2

Ryma,

While building your own PC from scratch this way isn't "rocket science", you need to approach this project with caution as you can potentially damage components if you don't know what you're doing.

It can be more involved than simply mounting the MB, power supply & hard drive and plugging in cables. There's the issue of mounting and properly heat-sinking the CPU, making sure your power supply is adequate and properly connected, etc.

I would find someone who has done this before to assist you. Having such assistance could avoid a potential mistake that could damage expensive components. Beyond mounting and connecting things - there's the issue of BIOS settings - which can get tricky and involved if you've not worked with BIOS settings before.

I completely admire your enthusiasm and in NO WAY want to discourage you from this endevor - I just think that if you've never done this before - having some assistance would be a good idea.

- John
Old 04-25-2008, 02:37 AM   #3

Well, I dont know anybody that is experienced in this field and I dont want to take it to a shop because they will charge me. I think that i will be able to handle it, i just need to know if that is correct.

Screw in the standoffs, set motherboard on standoff, screw motherboard on but not to tight.

right? or am i missing something?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2008, 06:44 PM   #4

Ryma,

Yes, this is the correct way to mount your motherboard in your case.

I have seen issues where the metal standoffs can mess with traces on the motherboard that are too close to the mounting holes. In these cases - you can put a non-conductive spacer between the metal standoffs and the motherboard.

If you run into any other questions or problems - feel free to post them here.

- John
Old 04-25-2008, 07:30 PM   #5
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

the backing plate goes in first
it just press fits into place
don't over tighten the screws holding down the m/board but don't leave them loose
i always install the cpu and heatsink and the ram before installing the m/b into the case
i also clean off the paste they come with and apply arctic silver
https://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_s...structions.htm

Closed Thread