Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU

User Tag List

Asus P4C800 deluxe hot plug USB problems

This is a discussion on Asus P4C800 deluxe hot plug USB problems within the Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. OS WinXP SP1 Latest Intel 875 chipset drivers are installed BIOS ver 1017 load default settings The problem is: USB

Closed Thread

Old 10-07-2004, 10:08 PM   #1

OS WinXP SP1
Latest Intel 875 chipset drivers are installed
BIOS ver 1017 load default settings

The problem is: USB devices not recognized by Windows.

Please help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2004, 10:53 PM   #2

try changing the USB setting from ENHANCED TO LEGACY etc from bios..
Old 10-08-2004, 11:56 AM   #3
Registered Member

In BIOS, change PnP OS setting (Plug and Play) from "NO" to "YES".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2004, 03:06 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 111
In BIOS, change PnP OS setting (Plug and Play) from "NO" to "YES".
I am no guru but i think PnP OS should be NO.. as WINXP is not a PnP os..
OS/2 used to be a PnP os.. other than that im not sure?.. maybe some guru can clear this up with some details...
Old 10-11-2004, 07:11 AM   #5
Registered Member

If PnP OS is set to NO, then the USB device will have to be plugged in before power up.

If PnP OS is set to YES, WinXP will handle everything and the device will be recognized no matter when it is plugged in.
Old 10-11-2004, 02:14 PM   #6
I helped the forums.

OS: XP-Pro Sp2 & XP-Pro Sp2 Tablet Edition, Vista Ultimate, Win 7

My System

That's not true...the pnp os should be set to no for XP and legacy usb support should be disabled. None of that will prevent XP from utilizing the usb ports properly. Make sure in the bios that you have the usb ports enabled, otherwise all this will be for naught......you can have them disabled....only 4 ports or 6 ports or all 8 ports active....exactly what devices is XP not reccognizing. Some devices will require that you install their software before you plug in the device for the first time, after that you can plug and unplug as you wish
Old 10-12-2004, 06:47 AM   #7
Registered Member

For some devices it is true.

Example: take my good ol' USB flash memory stick and plug it in any USB port with power on. If PnP=No, the system doesn't recognize it. If PnP=Yes, the system recognizes it in about 1 second.

I thought the same this you did: the PnP setting can't make a difference. After going round and round with the memory stick, the PnP setting was the only cure (versus drivers, BIOS settings, etc.). Go figure.

Do you know of any downside to setting PnP=Yes? I haven't run across anything yet.
Old 11-02-2004, 05:41 AM   #8

I have the exact same problem with front USB front ports only - did you ever resolve. (Front USB ports don't recognise flash drives)
I'm using Win2000.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 111
For some devices it is true.

Example: take my good ol' USB flash memory stick and plug it in any USB port with power on. If PnP=No, the system doesn't recognize it. If PnP=Yes, the system recognizes it in about 1 second.

I thought the same this you did: the PnP setting can't make a difference. After going round and round with the memory stick, the PnP setting was the only cure (versus drivers, BIOS settings, etc.). Go figure.

Do you know of any downside to setting PnP=Yes? I haven't run across anything yet.
Old 11-10-2004, 06:31 AM   #9

Just wanted to thank the twajetmech guy for the sollution of my problem. Among those few suggestions, his was ok. I just set pnp os to no for XP, and disabled legacy usb support. All of the sudden, my memory key is recognized, my digital camera ...all the stuff connected to usb ports.
Not only that:I had difficulties instaling Nero and updating Ad-Aware ref-list. After configuring bios everything went ok.
Thanks twajetmech again.
Closed Thread