Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU

User Tag List

Asus onboard audio no longer working since enabling front panel audio.

This is a discussion on Asus onboard audio no longer working since enabling front panel audio. within the Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. My audio rear outs used to work, but even so, i was primarily using hdmi out from my video card.

Closed Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 11:53 AM   #1
Registered Member

My audio rear outs used to work, but even so, i was primarily using hdmi out from my video card. I was also diagnosing BSODs at the time and sent my mobo back to asus for an rma. When it got back, I placed it in a different case and attached the front panel audio.

Due to a new living circumstance, I decided to switch back to the normal audio out, as my hdmi sound is awful on my new monitor. Problem is, now i find that the onboard audio does not work.

I have tried uninstalling/reinstalling and updating drivers, I have disabled all other drivers in the device manager, I have disconnected the front panel entirely. Nothing seems to re-enable my back panel.

Everything seems like in this thread (Just got done building a new computer but... - techPowerUp! Forums) except my audio interface is ASUS, not MSI, and does not allow for front panel detection. (their solution was to "disable front panel jack detection" but this interface does not allow for this)

See the attached screenshots for interface.
Screenshot #1: As you can see, this is all the advanced settings allow. Also note that the bottom jacks are disabled, and does not see the speakers at all, even though they are plugged in.

Screenshot #2: This is with the HD settings enabled.

Screenshot #3: As you can see, there are no devices shown while HD audio is enabled, and the sound device manager does not see the speakers at all.

Screenshot #4: When I change to AC97, the computer sees the front panel, even when it is disconnected to the motherboard. The back panel still is undetected.

Screenshot #5: While under AC97, it shows that it detects both front ports, a set of speakers in one and a mic in the other, even when there is nothing plugged in.

Sound is enabled in BIOS, I have tried volume checks, tried everything i can come up with short of a full reload, and I am nearly at my wit's end.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.PNG
Views:	550
Size:	378.6 KB
ID:	121618   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.PNG
Views:	237
Size:	355.8 KB
ID:	121619   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.PNG
Views:	245
Size:	648.3 KB
ID:	121620  

Click image for larger version

Name:	4.PNG
Views:	190
Size:	357.5 KB
ID:	121621   Click image for larger version

Name:	5.PNG
Views:	525
Size:	560.1 KB
ID:	121622  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2013, 07:16 PM   #2
Registered Member

Rear Panel would be integrated into the mobo so connections wouldn't be an issue. With the new MoBo you made sure to install the correct drivers for it? I have seen plenty of instances where the drivers would register as correct but were not.

I would suggest first Uninstalling all Audio Drivers first and foremost. Also, case audio comes in the form of a small plug to the motherboard. You should keep those connected regardless.

Secondly, look up the exactly motherboard manufacturer. If possible, share the model of it here. Even Driver Genius can pull the incorrect Audio Drivers.

Thirdly, BIOS Updates. This can also resolve some issues such as DXDiag not detecting a processor, etc.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:37 PM   #3
Emeritus

PC Specs?
Pre- Built Brand & Model Number
Custom Built- Brand & Model of Mobo-CPU-RAM-Graphics-PSU.

All drivers need to be downloaded from the PC manufacturer if it's OEM or from the Mobo manufacturer if it's a custom build. The drivers also need to be for the installed OS.
Never use/truest third party apps for any updates.
A Bios update is most likely not a concern if it worked before and Bios updates should only be done if the update directly addresses the problem(s) you are experiencing.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2013, 09:45 PM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Your ASUS mobo likely came with a users manual that spelled out the mobo feature set. If, and this is a conditional if, your BIOS does not have any settings to de-activate the on-board audio, or to switch between rear and front connections, then I'd look in the manual for a set of jumpers to do that. Since you returned your board on an RMA, you may have received back a returned/refurbished board that has some missing jumpers, or even has defective parts on it (but not likely from ASUS).

Here's the reason for the 'conditional if' above: I don't recall seeing a mobo BIOS that didn't have a setting to turn off the on-board audio. I'd look at that first.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:55 AM   #5
Registered Member

Specs:
CPU: i5 3550
Mobo: Asus P8H77-V LE
Ram: Crucial Ballistix Sport - 2 x 4gb 1333
VGA: EVGA GTX 550 ti
Tower: Rosewill Challenger ATX mid

All the drivers are correct, i have unloaded all drivers and reloaded them from the manufacturers site multiple times.

This tower has both HD audio and AC97 plugs to the front panel. I tried them both and just left the HD plugs in.

In the bios (I'll have to load screenies later today) there is an option for front panel audio, but its merely to select either HD or AC97, not to enable or disable. The only audio enable or disable option is for the onboard audio as a whole. I think thats a major interface flaw (unless I just don't see it correctly), as every other interface I've ever worked with has had these options.

Also, I flashed the bios a few months ago, which was the newest at the time, until Asus released a bios update to increase compatibility with win 8, apparently. I may just have to try it just in case, but otherwise, it's current.

Also, the board that I received from my RMA was the same board as I sent, confirmed by the serial, unless that doesn't mean anything. I don't really know about the processes these companies go through, so I may be wrong. (Essentially they didnt do anything to my board; the BSODs turned out to be caused by my memory, even though I had them as my "confirmed good" sticks for a while. Changed them out, worked like a charm.)
Old 02-01-2013, 07:58 AM   #6
Registered Member

Oh, and for my audio, like I mentioned, I have audio through my HDMI which was being sent to my TV, so I had the speakers hooked up to my tv. However, since I moved, I have to use a normal monitor, which has terrible speakers. That's why I was trying to plug the on-board sound up. So right now I'm using Nvidia's hdmi audio out through trash speakers. I dunno if those details help at all :P
Old 02-01-2013, 08:02 AM   #7
Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuttyt View Post
In the bios (I'll have to load screenies later today) there is an option for front panel audio, but its merely to select either HD or AC97, not to enable or disable.
Correct and that needs to be set to the type of connection you used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuttyt View Post

This tower has both HD audio and AC97 plugs to the front panel. I tried them both and just left the HD plugs in.
Try each connection and set the Bios to correspond with the same connection.

Old 02-01-2013, 08:15 AM   #8
TSF Enthusiast

My System

It's the same board if it has the same S/N. ASUS probably checked it out quickly and didn't find anything wrong based on the description of the problem you sent with the board when you returned it. They have machines for testing returns, so I doubt they would have missed a defective sound system. But, big companies can miss things in their rush to get things out the door.

But anyway, my feeling is that it's a setup issue, not a blown part. Did you browse through the users guide that came with the mobo? Anything in there about setting jumpers a certain way for different audio features? Many mobos come with the ability to shut off the audio, either in the BIOS or on-board, or both, as that's how some companies restrict their employees web surfing during work hours.

That you have audio through HDMI proves that audio is available on the bus. Now we need to steer it to the on-board connectors, somehow. I'll go take a look at ASUS's on-line info.

Well, didn't find any useful info there, I'm at a confused brick wall. Sorry. It's been my experience that audio problems like this are generally associated with drivers rather then hardware...but you've already tried reinstalling the drivers. If I think of any test you can run, I'll be back.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:32 AM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyree View Post
Try each connection and set the Bios to correspond with the same connection.
Yeah, i've tried on both. The realtek interface shows up like how I've posted regardless of how the bios is set. Right now it's set to HD audio, which is what it was on when it was working, before I plugged the front panel in.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:20 AM   #10
Registered Member

*Sorry, I tried to edit my last post, but time limit had passed.

Just to be clear, I know about the bios controls and the corresponding plugs. The issue is exactly like the problem on this thread.

Just got done building a new computer but... - techPowerUp! Forums

The issue is that once the front panel was hooked up, some setting was enabled concerning front panel detection. Essentially, from what I understand, a setting is enabled (from the realtek audio interface, not through the bios) to detect when a device is attached to the front panel which then disables the back panel and re-enables the back panel when it detects nothing. Apparently. Anyways, what happens is sometimes it does not properly detect something, and the solution is to select the "disable front panel jack detection" box on the interface.

Unfortunately, there is no such setting through the asus interface that was provided. That's why, short of a full reload, I have no clue of how to access that panel detection setting.

I hope that clears something up.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:28 AM   #11
Emeritus

Do the rear outputs work with the Front Panel connected and/or disconnected?

Old 02-01-2013, 10:11 AM   #12
Registered Member

they don't work at all anymore. where they should be detecting a device plugged in, theres no response.

Like in the screenshots above, when a device is detected, it will light up the port. When i plug in a cable, it will still say that nothing is detected. (screenshots #2-3)

When I use AC97, it detects that theres something in the front panel, even send a signal to it, but theres no audio in reality. even when the ac97 is not plugged in to the motherboard, it will say theres something there. (screenshots #4-5)

really, i dont even care about the front panel anymore, i just want my back panel to work as it used to.
Closed Thread