Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios & CPU

User Tag List

ASUS memory upgrade

This is a discussion on ASUS memory upgrade within the Motherboards, Bios & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I try to upgrade my ASUS K20CE from 4GB to 8GB memory but when I install the 4GB DDR3L on

Closed Thread

Old 09-07-2018, 07:35 AM   #1
Registered Member

I try to upgrade my ASUS K20CE from 4GB to 8GB memory but when I install the 4GB DDR3L on the motherboard the computer does not boot. When I remove the memory it boots fine. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2018, 08:05 AM   #2
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

Have you tried just installing the new ram by itself

Mark thread solved under thread tools when issue has been resolved.
Old 09-07-2018, 08:08 AM   #3
Registered Member

Yes, I tried that. I also tried with several other memory cards 4GB and 2GB in case of compatibility problem but they didn' t work either. I also upgraded BIOS at the latest version from ASUS site and again the same.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2018, 08:30 AM   #4
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

from the link here it says you have just 1 slot for ram. RAM & SSD Upgrades | ASUS K20CE | Crucial.com
says you have a 2GB non-removable
if you get the ram from them they guaranteed be compatible

Old 09-07-2018, 08:42 AM   #5
Registered Member

From ASUS site https://www.asus.com/Tower-PCs/K20CE/specifications/
it contains a 4GB non-removable and an expansion slot of up to 2GB. However, as from crucial site and asus support it might go up to 8GB. I tried with one crucial 4GB, one kingston 4GB and one crucial 2GB and neither of them would boot.
Old 09-07-2018, 08:50 AM   #6
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

From your link it says it came with 4GB of ram 2GB non removable. Can't put memory in the expansion slots. So if you want to upgrade to 8GB you will need to get an 8GB stick of ram.

Old 09-07-2018, 01:18 PM   #7
Registered Member

There are 4GB on-board and an empty expansion slot on motherboard. ASUS support after my request sent me the response that I can upgrade the machine to 8GB by installing this:

P/N: 03A02-00025400
PART NAME: DDR3L 1600 SO-D 4GB 204P
PART DESCRIPTION: APACER/76.B305G.C5F0B

I didn't use this because it is very expensive and I used initially the crucial and then kingston which they are supposed to be compatible. Is there a chance that the expansion slot is defective? Is there a way to fix it or I have to replace the whole motherboard?
Old 09-07-2018, 01:28 PM   #8
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

Could you take picture of where you are trying to install the ram stick on the motherboard? Put an arrow pointing to slot your putting memory in.

Old 09-07-2018, 01:52 PM   #9
Registered Member

Unfortunately I will have the PC on Monday as I sent it to a local service store (not ASUS) to check it. They phoned me today that they cannot do anything about the upgrade confirming what I wrote previously that is 4GB on board and they tested several RAMs on empty slot which functioned normally on other PCs/laptops on my PC no boot. This is the reason I opened this thread and I can't afford to send it to local ASUS support as they are too expensive.
Old 09-07-2018, 01:58 PM   #10
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

I guess I am confused as the spec of the computer says only has 1 memory slot not 2 you can't just put a stick of memory in an expansion slot. If a local computer shop can't fix it then only choice is to send to Asus to do the work.

Old 09-08-2018, 12:08 AM   #11
Registered Member

Like I said I can send a photo on Monday if you' re still interested. The 4GB is on-board you cannot remove it or change it and there is only one slot empty that you can install a RAM card. Suppose that the empty slot is defective is there a way to change it or repair it or I have to change the whole motherboard? Can you suggest?
Old 09-08-2018, 12:26 AM   #12
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

You would have to change motherboard.

Old 09-08-2018, 02:31 AM   #13
Registered Member

Ok thanks oscer1. I will upload a picture on Monday in case you can come up with some idea.
Closed Thread