Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU

User Tag List

Asus k8v vm mobo issues.

This is a discussion on Asus k8v vm mobo issues. within the Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I had to replace my mums mobo for her. She is using an amd skt 754 setup and the old

Closed Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 07:38 AM   #1
Registered Member

I had to replace my mums mobo for her. She is using an amd skt 754 setup and the old mobo developed a bad agp slot and ram slots. Board was replaced with an asus k8v vm mobo. An unusually nasty board from asus that is causing problem after problem.

First. Mobo was over volting two athlon 64 cpu's. Voltage core was reaching 1.65+ volts. This is a known issue with the board that asus havn't attempted to fix in a bios update. I installed a spare sempron 3000+ and this mellowed the issue out a good bit. Cpu now only goes as high as 1.50 volts. This basicly badly damaged a brand new athlon 64 and seems to have damaged her old athlon 64. ( I thought I would be nice and upgrade her cpu to a new, unused spare I had. ).

The two memory sticks were somehow damaged in the carry on. They caused overall massive slowdown and lockup plus read and write errors on all drives. I replaced with 2 512meg crucial ddr400 sticks. This mellowed out the memory issues. The two old damaged strips showed signs of scoring meaning they had been zapped at some point.

The system is using 2 ide's. A 40 gig samsung and an 80 gig w.d. The 80 gig responds perfect but the 40 gig is as slow as heck. Accurate but slow. Both drives are running udma mode 5. Both, the s.m.a.r.t is disabled. I took the 40 gig and tested it in my system and it runs perfect so that brought me back to my mums system. I tested all parts in other systems. All part's work ok apart from when they are attached to this mobo.
I beleive this issue is caused by the mobo somehow. It also interferse with the burner she is using as well. Burns always take twice as long as they should.
My fear is that while the athlon 64 was installed, the temp on the cpu ( as much as 70 degrees at points, dependant on cool and quiet ) may have damaged the mobo and the old ram. There is no thermal sensor on the chipset for this mobo as it is a budget board so there is no way to tell what temps it was reaching while the athlon 64 was slotted.
A brand new athlon 64 3000+ and two corsair 512 meg ddr 400 strips were damaged beyond use, that much I do know.

Anyone got any ideas on how to get this running ok? I've been at it for over a week now and am running out of ideas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2007, 03:05 PM   #2
Registered Member

I've submited a support request to asus about this mobo. I will post back when I hear from them. Could the thread still be kept open though? Just in case.
Closed Thread