Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU

User Tag List

Asus K8V Delux not being detected

This is a discussion on Asus K8V Delux not being detected within the Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi all, First post on this form. Thanks to whoever keeps this up. Anyway I have a couple of issues.

Closed Thread

Old 02-05-2006, 10:34 AM   #1

Hi all,

First post on this form. Thanks to whoever keeps this up.

Anyway I have a couple of issues. I am trying to install my SATA drive and it is detected on the BIOS everything appears to be normal. However once I try to install windows onto it, windows does not detect the drive. During setup where it asks if I want to how i want to partition the drive there are no drives detected .

I tried setting the "Onboard Pronise Controller" to Enable and Operating Mode to RAID to see if that would detect the drive, but it does not, of course.

My other problem is I do not have the Support CD for the Mobo, anyone know where I can DL it and burn it onto a CD.

In addition I can only get onto the internet via my lap top that does not have a floppy drive so I can't seem to update the BIOS without a floppy disk. Is it possible to update the BIOS via a CD ROM?

Thanks for any help,

FB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2006, 11:37 AM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filler Bunny
I am trying to install my SATA drive and it is detected on the BIOS everything appears to be normal. However once I try to install windows onto it, windows does not detect the drive. During setup where it asks if I want to how i want to partition the drive there are no
drives detected .

I don't know exactly where you were in the process when it quit, but did you tap F6 and load Sata drivers when it asks you to load them now? This is easy to miss, so you have to watch carefully when the OS disk first starts to spin. Kind of like a "Hair Trigger" effect...hit it quickly and wait until it tells you to load them now. It must have these to work and recognize the drive as a Sata drive.

If you did everything correct as described above and it does not see the drive, I highly recommend that you go the manufacturer of your hard disk and use their utility to partition and format the drive for usage. I know that you should not have to do that, but there are some stubborn ones that only work if you do that. I have no idea what drive you have, so here is a link if interested to all major drive utilities: (note: might want to copy Sata drivers also)

https://tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287

I tried setting the "Onboard Pronise Controller" to Enable and Operating Mode to RAID to see if that would detect the drive, but it does not, of course.

This needs to be off or disabled if you are not trying to set up a raid array.

My other problem is I do not have the Support CD for the Mobo, anyone know where I can DL it and burn it onto a CD.

Try here: https://usa.asus.com/search.aspx?sear...sus+K8V+Delux+ I went to that site a few ago and it was temporarily down, so you may have to check back if it is still down.

I also think you are jumping the gun talking about updating the BIOS at this stage of the game. You need to get the above done before you think of doing something that may not need done. That is my personal opinion.

Thanks for any help,

FB
Old 02-05-2006, 12:01 PM   #3

Thanks i don't really think the BIOS needs to be updated either because it is detecting the drive just fine.

The Asus Download site is still down :( however FYI I have a Seagate 7200.7 80Gb Barracuda SATA HDD.

Do you think I load the drivers from a CD or will I have to have a floppy?

Thanks again for the response,

FB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2006, 12:04 PM   #4

NM I just did it and I do need a floppy, and I need the support disk from seagate which I will have to try and find now...
Old 02-05-2006, 12:08 PM   #5
TSF Team, Emeritus

Hi,

Burn it to a CD, then find a neighbor or friend (or even at work) who can transfer it to a floppy. If you get your Sata drivers, you may be able to just do it without the Seagate utility (I think called Seatools or something like that) , but you do have to have a floppy with the Sata Drivers on it.
Old 02-05-2006, 12:17 PM   #6

downloaded the disc wizard from seagate according to the discription this should work *crossing fingers*.
Old 02-05-2006, 12:24 PM   #7

looks like these are the right drivers, incase anyone else comes across this issue.

https://www.promise.com/support/downl...er&os=0&go=GO#

and here is the disk wizard

https://www.seagate.com/support/disc/utils.html

FB
Old 02-05-2006, 02:28 PM   #8

well I ran the disc wizard and now I still have problems.

The HDD is definatly installed and recognized by the BIOS. However again once I try to install Windows XP Pro when it gets to the screen that asks me to select the drive I wish to install windows on there are no drives available to pick.

I downloaded the driver for the HDD and if I F6 to set it up, I put in the floppy disk and it says it cannot find the txt(something).oem file. sorry don't remember the fiel name exactly but I am so confused and frustrated already today! grr

FB
Old 02-05-2006, 02:39 PM   #9

great now I try to restart and I hit DEL to get into setup, but once in the BIOS my keyboard is not working, then if I try to install windows it says press any key to boot from the CD, but then the keyboard isn't working. Is there something wrong in POST now, seriously I think I am going mad, I have to step away for a while. But please if you can offer any advice I would greatly appreciate it... :(

FB - Aim for my head!
Old 02-05-2006, 03:03 PM   #10
TSF Team, Emeritus

Quote:
great now I try to restart and I hit DEL to get into setup, but once in the BIOS my keyboard is not working, then if I try to install windows it says press any key to boot from the CD, but then the keyboard isn't working. Is there something wrong in POST now, seriously I think I am going mad, I have to step away for a while. But please if you can offer any advice I would greatly appreciate it... :(

FB - Aim for my head!
Hi,

Filler Bunny, calm down, there has to be a way..........well, maybe anyhow.

I suspect almost that shutting down when it has not gone forward has caused the BIOS setup menu to become less than stellar or maybe a little corrupted. That could cause your keyboard to not work, so we need to try that possible solution anyway.

Therefore, I would suggest that you clear the CMOS. You can do that by either moving the CLRTC jumper for about ten minutes, or simply removing the battery for about ten minutes. Be sure you unplug the electricity and ground yourself before working in that case.

When that is done, boot back up and try again. I just want to be sure of some things, so forgive if you are doing them and I am asking again.

First of all, if it says boot from CD, then have it do that while trying to set it up.

Second, if you have any other IDE hard drives on this computer, unplug them until you get the Sata set up as the boot drive.

Third, if you can get into BIOS setup menu, MAKE SURE your boot order is set to:

CDRom - 1st
Floppy - 2nd
Hard Drive - 3rd.....This has to be the Sata Drive

Note #1: Some newer motherboards ask for the Hard drive order, do check that if you have that option to make sure the boot drive is listed first.

Note #2: Be sure to save before you exit.

When it starts up this time.....LISTEN CAREFULLY.....As soon as it starts loading, look at the bottom of the screen, it will say something like: "If you have any scsi or other drivers to load, tap F6" This goes past you so fast, so be prepared to hit that F6.

The computer will keep loading and then will stop and ask you to load those drivers now: Put the floppy in and it should load those.

Addendum: I am assuming that you have the Sata connected to the Sata connectors and not Sata Raid connectors. (My ASUS board has both Sata and Sata Raid connectors)

I am also assuming that you have the Raid Disabled in your BIOS setup menu.

Now, when you post back, be very specific where it stops and what it says. That way we can eliminate some more things.

Good luck and let us know.
Old 02-06-2006, 08:43 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumbleweed36
First of all, if it says boot from CD, then have it do that while trying to set it up.
I can't boot from CD because it will not allow me to "hit any key" due to the keyboard not working now, however I will try what you suggested to get that to work.

Quote:
Second, if you have any other IDE hard drives on this computer, unplug them until you get the Sata set up as the boot drive.
Did that

Quote:
Third, if you can get into BIOS setup menu, MAKE SURE your boot order is set to:

CDRom - 1st
Floppy - 2nd
Hard Drive - 3rd.....This has to be the Sata Drive

Note #1: Some newer motherboards ask for the Hard drive order, do check that if you have that option to make sure the boot drive is listed first.

Note #2: Be sure to save before you exit.
Did that

Quote:
When it starts up this time.....LISTEN CAREFULLY.....As soon as it starts loading, look at the bottom of the screen, it will say something like: "If you have any scsi or other drivers to load, tap F6" This goes past you so fast, so be prepared to hit that F6.

The computer will keep loading and then will stop and ask you to load those drivers now: Put the floppy in and it should load those.
Did that... However once I get to the part where it instructs me to insert the floppy into the A:/ drive it gives me an error that states "cannot find the txt(something I don't remember and can't duplicate until the keyboard works again).oem file. What is an .OEM file? So I figure I have the wrong drivers or the drivers I downloaded dont' have the file windows is looking for?

Quote:
Addendum: I am assuming that you have the Sata connected to the Sata connectors and not Sata Raid connectors. (My ASUS board has both Sata and Sata Raid connectors)

I am also assuming that you have the Raid Disabled in your BIOS setup menu and that you have the Sata drives Enabled.
Here is a few good pics of my mobo, https://www.gdhardware.com/hardware/m...k8vd/shot5.htm

I have it pluged into SATA1 which is what the manual suggested I do. SATA PRI and SATA SEC are for setting up a RAID Array. So I think it is plugged into the correct slot, in addition the BIOS is not set to RAID.

OK hope that answers all your questions. I think the only things I need to do is get my Keyboard to work again and get drivers that windows will recognize, neh? What do you think?
Old 02-06-2006, 12:08 PM   #12
TSF Team, Emeritus

Hi,

Give that a try....might even try another keyboard to see if you can get it going.

Here is a very short story about a tech and his keyboard. I was setting up my personal computer and worked and worked and worked to get it to install Windows, but to no avail. After trying about ten times, I tried the keyboard in my other computer and found the F8 key (to accept Windows install) had died on that board. It took me forever to realize that and I work on those darn things. Every other key on the board was fine except the one you had to select to continue the install. Go figure that one..................
Old 02-13-2006, 11:52 AM   #13

Well I tried another keyboard and that solved my keyboard problem for the time being.

However, I downloaded the drivers and got them installed and was able to move forward but the drive is still not listed at the screen during install that asks me to partition the drive. There are no drives to select. No drives detected.

Do you think I need to get a PCI card for this, maybe my mobo doesn't support this?

btw I have tried Promise tech drivers and that gets me to the partition page at least. When I try VIA drivers and will not even let me install the viaraid.sys file that is the controller driver I need... why? :(
Old 02-13-2006, 04:16 PM   #14
TSF Team, Emeritus

Hi,

When you got the Seatools, did you get a chance to use that utility to partition and format this drive?
Old 02-15-2006, 07:18 PM   #15

yes it is in NTFS
Old 02-20-2006, 10:38 AM   #16

I still cannot get windows to recognize this drive, am I screwed? will updating the bios help? how do I do that without an OS? could there be an issue with jumpers? Is windows looking for it somewhere, when it is actually somewhere else? (ex: it is on the southbridge and it windows is only looking for HDDs on the IDE cable it would never see the SATA drive... is that a possiblity, if so how do I fix that?)

Anyway still need help if you have any ideas...

FB
Old 02-20-2006, 04:44 PM   #17
TSF Team, Emeritus

Quote:
I still cannot get windows to recognize this drive, am I screwed?

With some of the new motherboards, you must go into the BIOS setup menu and set the hard drive error. That can be done easily so go there and take a look. You also need to take another look at your Boot Order. When setting up a SATA drive, unhook all other hard drives until you get it set up.

could there be an issue with jumpers?

Yes, that is possible, but unless you have changed something, that is not the most likely cause. Might be worth a check.

Anyway still need help if you have any ideas...

FB
Closed Thread