Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios & CPU

User Tag List

ASUS BIOS - backup / restore

This is a discussion on ASUS BIOS - backup / restore within the Motherboards, Bios & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I just upgraded the BIOS on an ASUS Prime H370-Plus MB and had some severe problems something wrong with SATA

Closed Thread

Old 07-11-2019, 10:08 PM   #1
Registered Member

I just upgraded the BIOS on an ASUS Prime H370-Plus MB and had some severe problems something wrong with SATA settings. Luckily the problem solved itself because I could not find a way to go back to a previous version of the BIOS. I' probably won't be upgrading the BIOS again, but just in case, I'd like to know how I should have handled a back-out.

First, I could find no way to backup / save the current BIOS even though the (sketchy) ASUS doc implied it could be done. Anybody know how to do that for the Prime H370-Plus? Instead of backing up the old version I just downloaded a copy of it ... plus a couple intermediate versions and the latest version.

When I could not figure out how to change the SATA setting in any way that satisfied ASUS tried flashing the old version I had downloaded but I got the message "Selected file is not a valid BIOS". Same message for every version except the one I had just flashed. Does ASUS not allow loading a back-level BIOS? I can't believe that every BIOS except the newest was actually corrupt.

The sketchy doc implied that there was some way to get the current BIOS to automatically load a specially named BIOS - with a name that is MB-dependent - if that BIOS is found on a USB flash drive or CD. But there is nothing saying how to invoke this. Does a search for this specially named file automatically happen every time the computer is booted? That seems unlikely. And it was not successful. I had a copy on a USB flash drive but the update function was not automatically entered. I tried it in two different USB ports. Anybody know how this was supposed to work?

I think ASUS could use better documentation. Or better utilities.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2019, 02:04 AM   #2
Windows Tech Team
Hardware Tech Team

With the standard flasher tools, most bios do not allow a downgrade, the tool will automatically exit or throw an error when the current version is higher than the version being flashed.

There are some sophisticated methods to do this, but there are chances of the board being bricked if the flash fails.

Old 07-12-2019, 11:21 AM   #3
Registered Member

Well, I obviously sent that last reply too soon

Quote:
... there are chances of the board being bricked if the flash fails

There are also chances that a successfully loaded bad BIOS renders the board unusable. It's never a good idea to do any kind of upgrade without the ability to back out the change.

Since my original post I found out more about the ASUS recovery tool (called CrashFree). It requires a bricked MB. If the flashed BIOS is corrupted beyond usability, the CrashFree code looks for a specific file on CD or USB storage. (The file name is different for each model MB.)

Since my BIOS was technically good, CrashFree was not invoked. If I really wanted to use the utility I would have had to corrupt the BIOS - start reloading it and powering off during the load or some such technique.

Since my BIOS is now working, I'm not going to try that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2019, 02:36 AM   #4
Windows Tech Team
Hardware Tech Team

That's a wise decision, crash free BIOS gets invoked when the BIOS is corrupt and it needs to fall back to the original BIOS (some go with a term called Dual BIOS).

The original Motherboard disc also contains the initial BIOS FW and using a key combo you can invoke and flash the original BIOS, without booting it, but it can be a hit or miss..

Closed Thread