Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU

User Tag List

ASUS A8N SLI deluxe / HDD problems

This is a discussion on ASUS A8N SLI deluxe / HDD problems within the Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi everyone... I have a strange problem that is ocurring to me a long time already... First of all, I

Closed Thread

Old 07-13-2005, 02:06 PM   #1

Hi everyone...

I have a strange problem that is ocurring to me a long time already...
First of all, I have a

ASUS A8N SLI Deluxe mainboard
AMD64 3000+
Samsung SpinPoint 160GB S-ATA HDD

The system is in my posession since early january(yep, I was able to get one of first SLI boards - actually it was the first shipped to my city).

Sometimes my HDD just won't jump on(an "missing boot partition"/"no disc found" error jumps out). If I am not mistaken - it's difficult to see while the screen flashes - it wasn't even found by the system. Strangely, I can always resolve this problem by unplugging the HDD and plugging it back again to another S-ATA port(the same port won't always work ) I thought, maybe the plug will just "fall out" with time, but simple fixing it without removing the plug(pushing it back) doesn't work either. There is also no optical evidence for this. I use Nforce S-ATA connectors.
It may be that my HDD is defect, but it seems to have no errors(checked it with lots of software) and runs fine if heavily overloaded.
Maybe someone had similar experiance? The best way would be to give the mainboard/HDD back to the shop but I changed to watercooling and may be validating the warranty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2005, 06:14 PM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

Hi,

I don't have the soluton to your problem but do have that board with a SATA drive (not your brand) that is working fine. Running a 3700 San Diego CPU on the board.

That being said, I missed something (it might be in your post, tired tonight), but did not see what format you are using for the partition. Is it by any chance Fat32 instead of NTSF? I am also assuming that you have Win XP, but not sure. You might want to let us know more in those two areas.

What I did when I loaded my system (was told that works best if your Sata is the boot drive) was to unplug the Pata drives that I have and load the system with only the Sata drive hooked up. After I got it all set up with the Raid controller Disabled and the boot order set to CDRom first, Floppy second, and SATA last.

Be certain that you have the boot order set correctly in the BIOS setup menu, because what you are seeing may be a BIOS setup error or could even be a missing boot sector.

Works like a charm for me, so thought you might want to know what I did to have that kind of success. Just built it two weeks ago and has not missed a beat.

After I got it all set up, then I installed my regular Maxtor IDE hard drive as a master on IDE #1, then cloned the Sata to the IDE and everything is wonderful.

Just thought I would give you that viewpoint.
Old 07-14-2005, 03:00 AM   #3

Thanks for reply...

I don't have any other HDDs in my system, only a NEC DVD writer as IDE primary master. My boot order is HDD first/CD second. I don't have a floppy - actually that could be the problem. You see, funnily windows does detect a floppy but cannot acces it(that's undertsandable). Maybe my mainboard thiks somethimes that I do posess a floppy and tries to boot from it? I'll look into it.

Ah, it's NTFS on boot partition/FAt32 on data partition.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2005, 04:41 AM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

Hi,

First of all, I would change the boot order back to CD, then the hard drive. If it were mine, I would also try to change the data partition back to NTFS and that might be the problem. If theory, what you have works, but it does not always work as well as having them the same. Don't know what else might be the cause at this point.
Old 07-14-2005, 07:10 AM   #5

I cannot change my data partition as I need to access it from linux :)

This shouldn't be the problem, as I said, somethimes my mainboard simply can't see the HDD. I'll change the boot order like you suggested, but I'll have to wait for another half a year to test if it worked out ;) cheers
Old 07-14-2005, 11:50 AM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Send a message via MSN to linderman
Zengar:

There are numerous posts regarding Sata drives that have NCQ and this appears to be one of their "glitches"

Several other users have reported the need to chnage the connector from sata 1 to sata 2 / to get booted or noticed sluggish performance / see the entire thread by Monbart in this forum under Asus boards - he had listed as a P4P800-E & Sata drives
https://www.techsupportforum.com/showthread.php?t=57250

Others have reported that installing a sata pci card as having solved this situtation. The PCI card install stops the hassle of the IDe controller squabbling with the onboard sata controller ??!!

your situtation is nothing new ~~

they cost $35 - $40.00 at newegg.com

regards

joe
Closed Thread