Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU

User Tag List

Another dead P4C800-e deluxe

This is a discussion on Another dead P4C800-e deluxe within the Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. well, I guess its my turn to deal with Asus's supposedly PITA warranty dept... built a nice system, turned it

Closed Thread

Old 01-04-2005, 05:26 PM   #1

well, I guess its my turn to deal with Asus's supposedly PITA warranty dept...

built a nice system, turned it on, and just as I was setting the system clock, POOF!...fried it...part of the MoBo melted basically...from the backside, it would be just to the left of the middle upper (cpu side) screw...right where those little paths of metal make a jog...sweet..made my New Years day...NOT...what do you expect from something made by slave labor?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2005, 05:40 PM   #2
TSF Team Emeritus
Microsoft Support

OS: XP Home SP3 x3 /XP Pro SP3/Vista Ultimate SP2/Win7 Pro 64-BIT

Hi Wozer,

Well what do you think happened?
I never had any trouble with Asus I assumed they were a repitable brand name.
Are you having trouble returning it?
Old 01-04-2005, 06:26 PM   #3

well, I did an online rma as they were closed yesterday, which sucked as I had the day off since my boss was sick..the online rma request was ignored apparently, and I had to waste cell phone minutes calling and waiting...so now I gotta wait till thursday to mail it off to them as I don't like skipping lunch to go to the post office...then I gotta wait 10 days for them to decide whats up..then wait forever for the UPS brown to crawl its way here...so much fun...NOT..

as to what happened, I haven't the foggiest...I was careful, checked to make sure mobo wasn't touching anywheres, so I have no clue as to whyfried itself...was hoping some uber guru here might have a clue...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2005, 06:35 PM   #4
TSF Team Emeritus
Microsoft Support

OS: XP Home SP3 x3 /XP Pro SP3/Vista Ultimate SP2/Win7 Pro 64-BIT

I was going to ask if the mobo was touching anywheres but I didn't want to make you feel ....hmmm ... how can I put it lightly......stupid
I wouldnt want to make you feel like that at all and not even have you think that I was assuming you didn't know what you were doing...... I'll shut up now

Anyhow, everyone makes mistakes. Even if it isn't your fault
Old 01-04-2005, 06:43 PM   #5

to say I know what I'm doing is relative...I dont build computers for a living, I build houses...I do know some of the basics about boxes, only built one before this, but have worked on a fair number for various reasons...

what I don't know is how to test every damn part of the board to figure it out, and why should I??? I'm an enduser, not a manufacturer...it shouldn't be my responsibilty to lets say have to figure out that something like a screw mounting the mobo is causing a short...that is a defect as said screws are there to hold the mobo to the standoffs...
Old 01-04-2005, 07:46 PM   #6
Guru

It just sounds like one of the parts failed in the CPU voltage regulation section. It is probably very, very rare, but if it's going to happen anywhere, this is where most of the current is drawn on the board, therefore the greatest potential for, er... smoke. RMA is the correct course of action; it is a almost unquestionably a materials defect --like a shorted capacitor-- and I seriously doubt Asus will give you any trouble about the RMA.

But keep in mind that this really was a major failure, complete with fireworks. The power supply and/or CPU may have been damaged by the failure of the mobo circuitry, especially if the CPU experienced any significant overvoltage. So with a new mobo in hand, you could still have some trouble. If there's any way to get the CPU or supply tested (or exchanged) while you wait, it could be well worth it.

-clintfan
Old 01-04-2005, 08:09 PM   #7

thanks for the advice clintfan...I hope the spankin new antec 550W psu aint fried, not to mention the hard to find 3.0 northwood cpu...grrrr...guess I can toss em into my p4c800 non-e deluxe board and see what happens...

now that would suck, wouldn't it?...faulty mobo fries 300 bucks of peripherals...
Old 01-04-2005, 08:48 PM   #8

Good power supplies inherently have good protection circuits, the processor may not be as well protected. But you may get lucky. Hope for the best.
Old 02-01-2005, 03:31 PM   #9

well...I guess Antec PSUs aren't all that great...lol...

got the MoBo back last Thursday, and luckily decided it would really behoove me to have the PSU checked...I hadn't planned on gettting the board back till like yesterday, so I had planned to have it checked Saturday like I did...it was fried (damn glad I didn't put everything back together and find out the hard way...)

the way I look at the evidence, methinks the MoBo fried the PSU, as if the PSU had fried the MoBo, I think a lot more would have gotten damaged...like the processor, video card, etc...but, if it was the PSU which fried the board, then damn good thing indeed I had it checked out...luckily I got that piece locally, so there was no problem getting a warranty replacement...

so..at about 2 a.m. on Sunday morning I had it up and running and was installing the OS (happy moment indeed)...P4 Northwood 3.0, 3 hard drives, dvdrom/cd burner, and soon to have 2 250GB WD drives in a Sata Raid array for streaming samples for audio work...
Closed Thread