Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU

User Tag List

...And the disappointment stays. PCI & Firewire not working.

This is a discussion on ...And the disappointment stays. PCI & Firewire not working. within the Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Back Around July, I posted on here about a problem I was having with my Shuttle SG33G5's BIOS, not letting

Closed Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 08:57 PM   #1

Back Around July, I posted on here about a problem I was having with my Shuttle SG33G5's BIOS, not letting me pass by to boot to the system.

I'm still having that problem. but I've remedied it somewhat. After getting a new system from Newegg, I booted it a few times to fix things with it and BAM, right out of nowhere, it won't let me pass the SATA to IDE BIOS page again. I've been able to stop it by disabling my floppy and parallel ports on the motherboard. Only problem is, I now have a bigger problem to deal with... maybe someone can help.

As I am now able to boot into Windows XP and to the desktop and do everything I can normally do, it seems that the onboard PCI slot and the onboard firewire ports are now dead. I don't know how this happened, but it keeps bugging me now. especially now that I NEED to use an external drive with it to backup my data and want to use one of the firewire ports. All USB and other miscellaneous ports on the computer are functioning properly.

The PCI port is getting power though, just to ward off the assumption it's a dead port. I stuck a network card in there and turned on the computer with a cord plugged into it and it lit up.

I've also tried booting DamnSmallLinux, PuppyLinux and LinuxMint to see if it was just OS-related stuff, but none of the Live CD's were able to pick up the rather old (1996) network card which they were able to detect in a much older computer.

any ideas? I don't want to have to RMA it again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2008, 09:29 PM   #2
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

have you installed the firewire driver from the m/board setup disk
IEEE 1394

Old 09-15-2008, 09:38 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dai View Post
have you installed the firewire driver from the m/board setup disk
IEEE 1394
Every single driver that I could find on the driver CD that came with the computer are installed on the computer. I don't think that there would be an IEEE 1394 driver needed in this day and age, though; even Windows 2000doesn't need a driver CD for firewire as far as I have seen.

but yes, all drivers are accounted for.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2008, 09:46 PM   #4
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

in the device manager click on the firewire listing and see what it has to say

Closed Thread