User Tag List

Amd or Pen 4

This is a discussion on Amd or Pen 4 within the Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I am building a Pc for a friend in March and he is on a tight budget. I have only

Closed Thread

Old 01-07-2006, 06:19 AM   #1

I am building a Pc for a friend in March and he is on a tight budget. I have only ever dealt with Int Pen 4 processors and have been told that AMD are now on a par with Intel and are much cheaper. The guy who told me only sells Amd so i think he was going to say that anyway, but is there a AMD out there to rival a Pen 4?.

Can anone recommend a Amd cpu that is the equal to a 3.4 intel Pen 4, 775 socket, and a mobo (mainly for gaming)to go with the AMD cpu.

cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2006, 06:40 AM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

Hi,

There are so many to choose from, so I would just suggest a socket 939 with the Venice core. You can choose the speed to fit your budget, but anything at 3500+ or above are very fast and not too high priced.

For the motherboard, I like the ASUS A8N-sli deluxe model. There are some ASUS non-sli models that are somewhat cheaper so if money is an issue, you could consider that also.

I enjoy these personal opinion things, so now you have my two cents worth.
Old 01-07-2006, 07:44 AM   #3
ole'

My System

id hav to say any 600 series from intel. any asus or gigabyte board will work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2006, 07:44 PM   #4

I've only had one AMD with a 64 bit processor and a ASUS A8V Deluxe - VIA K8T800 Pro Motherboard running 32bit XP Pro. I can't say AMD is the problem, but I know I have had nothing but problems with this machine and can't seem to figure out what the problem is other than it being a very expensive door stop. I know personally, I'm going back to Pentium.
Old 01-07-2006, 08:05 PM   #5
TSF Team, Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chizl
I've only had one AMD with a 64 bit processor and a ASUS A8V Deluxe - VIA K8T800 Pro Motherboard running 32bit XP Pro. I can't say AMD is the problem, but I know I have had nothing but problems with this machine and can't seem to figure out what the problem is other than it being a very expensive door stop. I know personally, I'm going back to Pentium.
Hi Chizl,

Sorry to hear you have had such a problem with such a good board and CPU. Tell you what, why not post your machine components and problem on the forum in the appropriate area and let one of us take a look at your issues. If you get a chance and do that, send me a PM with the link to your thread and I will try (and others as they see your thread) to get over and look at it. Don't give up on that combination yet. Hope you have a great evening
Old 01-07-2006, 08:18 PM   #6

It's been posted.. 4 months now, this box has been dead on me.. Still working on though.. The only reason I come to this forum to see if there's an update.. https://www.techsupportforum.com//har...oard-raid.html
Old 01-07-2006, 08:51 PM   #7

If you're looking to build a gaming PC right now, I'd definitely go with an Athlon 64. You're no more likely to have a problem building one of those as you will building an Intel based system. And the Athlon 64s are quicker at games in the same price range. Athlon 64s are very quick at games and cool whereas Intel's Prescotts (the current Pentium 4s) are pretty quick at games and very hot.

If he's on a tight budget then you might also consider a non-sli motherboard. Only truly hardcore gamers actually run two video cards at the same time. The non-sli motherboards are cheaper. I just built a machine for my sister-in-law using an ASUS A8N5X with a dual core Athlon 64 3800+. The dual core CPUs don't help with gaming at the moment (she wanted a dual for running engineering programs) so I'd also go with an Athlon 64 3500+ (2.2 GHz) or he could splurge a bit and get a 3800+ (2.4GHz).
Old 01-09-2006, 06:46 AM   #8

Hi Evo.

This is a very good question and one that I thought I would have to address myself after my recent socket A motherboard blew. In finding out that they are now hard to replace and that there are no high end manufacturers like ASUS making any more socket A boards, I did think about going to a completely new system and thought about this AMD vs Pen descision. As It happens I went for and EPox socket A as I discovered that with AMD, they have stated that the current level of processors will mostly be redundent in 12 months time and of course all moby manufacturers will also move on. I did discover that Pentium have guaranteed the current dual core for 18 months at least so I dont know if this helps your descision.

As a foot note, are you the evo uk I used to know from Paltalk tech support?
Old 01-14-2006, 08:56 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightspark
Hi Evo.

As a foot note, are you the evo uk I used to know from Paltalk tech support?
Erm dont know... paltalk does not ring a bell so probably not.

just visited paltalk website.i defo aint me.

cheers
Closed Thread