Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU

User Tag List

AMD Athlon 64 X2 and some strange issues

This is a discussion on AMD Athlon 64 X2 and some strange issues within the Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello, I have recently upgraded my computer with a new motherboard (Gigabyte GA-M61PME-S2P) an AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+ processor

Closed Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 12:46 PM   #1

Exclamation

Hello, I have recently upgraded my computer with a new motherboard (Gigabyte GA-M61PME-S2P) an AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+ processor and 1 GB Kingston DDR2 667 memory module.

I mounted everything according to instructions (this is not the first time I build a computer tough) and the machine booted OK, but my old WinXP installation sent me a BSOD so I formatted and re-installed the OS (32-bit) with the new drivers and stuff.

Fine, my PC was very fast, I installed Office and my other apps, including VisualStudio 2005. The first problem was that I wasn't abble to properly compile anything neither in VC++ nor VB.net. I got a "0xc000007" error saying that the program couldn't be started when trying to launch the 'compiled' exe, and I wan't even able to debug it because I was getting a "Unable to initialize program". This was kinda strange, but when I tried to: a) patch UxTheme, b) Install a BricoPack or c) Use TuneUp Utilities 2k9, I REALLY messed up the system. The 'welcome' logon screen wasn't showing up and instead I got a Win2K-style login box asking for user and password. I used TweakUI to automate logon but userinit.exe crashed everytime. I Had VS2005 as the default debugger and when I tried to debug the crashed process I found that hitting the 'Stop' button lead to an unusable system: taskmanager, explorer and whatever executable I tried to launch crashed with the same error code (an access violation) while hitting the 'Restart' button seemed to solve the problem, explorer was showing up and there where no noticeable issues (excluding the VS2005 can't-compile-properly one)

I tried a lot of things but I ended up installing Vista Ultimate (32-bit). Everything was OK again but VS2005 showed the same issue unless I ran it with administrative privileges. It was the only way to get a working executable but sometimes that workwaround didn't helped at all, so I installed VS2008 to try to solve the compatibility issues with Vista. But VS2008 had the same error, and there wasn't any workaround this time. I re-formatted and re-installed Vista, Office and ALL the stuff AGAIN!!! There aren't any other issues with other apps, not even games or resource-demanding programs. It seems that only VS2005-VS2008 have this problem I can't figure out what's wrong.

Initially I thought that it could be a faulty processor but, that is a very strange happening that should case a lot more issues. The same with RAM and motherboard failures, there should be more random problems so I thougth it may be the 32-bit OSes that doesn't properly support the processor's 64-bit architecture.

I don't know how can I fix this problem, I'm a programmer and I use MFC as my primary GUI solution so I really need VisualStudio and I have school projects that can't be delayed because an unstable computer, so I'm asking here for your colective wisdom. I hope you can help me, I don't know if this could be an addressed issue or a completelly bizarre thing.

Any comments and sugestions would be appreciated, please help me.

P.D. Sorry for my english :)

==============
System specs
==============
- Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-M61PME-S2P
- Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+ processor
- RAM: 1 GB Kingston DDR2 667 memory module
- HD: 80 GB Seagate IDE Drive
- GFX: Built-in nVidia GeForce 6100
- Sound: Built-in Realtek HD-Audio

=============
Issues with
=============
- VisualStudio 2005 (No ServicePacks), VisualStudio 2008 (No ServicePacks)
> Not compiling properly (2005) unless admin. privileges (sometimes), not able to debug neither native nor managed binaries.
> Not compiling or debugging at all (2008)

> Error codes: 0xC000007 (Access-Violation Exception)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread