Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU

User Tag List

AMD 5200+ / ATI 3870 512 / which mb?

This is a discussion on AMD 5200+ / ATI 3870 512 / which mb? within the Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. — Lots of multitasking, lots of graphics, but no games. Say a 22" LCD monitor. And I hate seeing hour-glasses.

Closed Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 12:48 AM   #1

— Lots of multitasking, lots of graphics, but no games. Say a 22" LCD monitor. And I hate seeing hour-glasses. XP Pro 64.

(1) Looks like my new system will be based on an AMD 64x2 5200+. (There is some chance that it will be a Phenom instead, or that sometime in the future I'll upgrade to a Phenom if they work out.)

(2) Let's just suppose I buy a Diamond Viper Radeon HD 3870 512MB video card—just supposing.

Despite that card costing $200, I'm really watching the money. But I'm looking for quality anyway. "The best quality for the least $$$", I guess.

So—what mb?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2008, 05:15 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Send a message via MSN to linderman

is the AMD part of the equation cast in stone ?

AMD is not the king of performance any more / I would go Intel

what is your budget ?
Old 02-27-2008, 06:08 AM   #3

Hi, Linderman,

I don't like Intel's marketing—who would, after being sucked in to a cache-crippled Cely 1.7—and I'm very happy to go with AMD. A few of us need to hang around anyway, unless everyone will be happy with a new price-list from a new Intel monopoly.

My budget is whatever minimum is. I'm looking for a good value in CPU, mb, and video card. I'm watching Phenom, but in that case I'd likely wait a month or two and see what happens.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2008, 06:43 AM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Send a message via MSN to linderman

well / yesterdays hero's for AMD and the Am2 CPU were as follows:

Asus M2N32-Sli Deluxe
Gigabyte GA-M59SLI-S5 Motherboard

Biostar TForce 590 SLI Deluxe (this was one hellva board for the money)

MSI K9N Diamond Motherboard >>>>>> great choice too!
ECS KN3 SLI2 Extreme Motherboard

ASUS M2A-VM Motherboard

********* not sure if any of the above will have support for Phenom ???

the newer hot shots are based on the 680i chispet and the newer 780i chipset >>>>> you will however pay plenty of $$$$$ for these

If you go with 680 or 780 then I would defintely stick with an Asus Board or Gigabyte Board maybeeeeeee MSI

the 680 is a fussy little bugger has alot of features and capability but it can be very quirky

one thing for sure >>>> going AMD means you are going to pay more in the motherboard department and their offerings have been struggling as much as the AMD cpu's have been >>>>> but I can appreciate your brand loyalty

I personally would not hesitate to buy a "refurb" board from Mwave.com / refurbished / click on motherboards

you can get great boards in there for half price >>>> I personally would get one of those 590 boards above until the newer 790 chipset comes out and the prices get real; then all the bugs from the 680 should be worked out / at that time when you go for the Phenom then go for the full $$$$$$ motherboard

IMHO the 680 and 780 are not worth the sticker price
Old 02-27-2008, 07:11 AM   #5

Wow! Thank you very much indeed for your help, Linderman. Specific references like those are exactly what I need. You can bet I'll be off doing my homework, going through everything on your list.

Thanks again.
Closed Thread