Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU

User Tag List

A bit of a CPU Fan scare.

This is a discussion on A bit of a CPU Fan scare. within the Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. When I turned on my computer, it gave a message saying the CPU fan wasn't working. So I turned it

Closed Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 06:27 PM   #1
Registered Member

When I turned on my computer, it gave a message saying the CPU fan wasn't working. So I turned it off, took the cover off the tower, and cleaned out the fan with compressed gas (air) cleaner. After that, I turned it on, and everything appeared fine (message was gone, fan started). Except (and this will probably sound dumb) the fan behavior changed. Normally the CPU Fan would be really loud and would turn off periodically so you'd hear it turn on and off. Now after cleaning it, the fan stays on constantly but is really quiet. THIS almost sounds like how it should be, and it was messed up before. I've been running it now for about an hour with the tower open. The fan is still running and nothing seems to be overheating. Functionally, it seems normal. I almost decided to just not make this thread, but then thought better safe than sorry. Anyway, I went into the BIOs and got all fan/temp info after running the machine for about 30 minutes. Here's what it said:

System: Compaq Presario SR1503WM (running Windows XP SP3)

System Fan: 1368 RPM (jumps around about +/- 15%)
CPU Fan: 3515 RPM (jumps around about +/- 15%)
CPU Temperature: 47C/116F (jumps around about +/- 5%)

Seems normal, but just wanna make sure because the fan behavior is different.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2009, 02:43 AM   #2

You haven't stated the type of CPU or Motherboard you are talking about. from the figures you are showing the fans are ok . if they are what your Bios shows as idle temps then the CPU temp is too high.( NB. at idle) Suggest you remove the CPU fan and then remove and clean the CPU . Renew the Thermal paste and then reinstall the fan.
I have several types of computers and use mainly AMD single and dual core CPUs on which all run idle temps at about 37 c.
Old 03-22-2009, 03:35 AM   #3
Registered Member

The Motherboard and CPU information is here:
https://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...product=501775

I don't know what the idle temperatures are supposed to be. I'll check it again (after running the machine for 3 and a half hours) and edit this post with the info. Maybe that will give a better reading. As for removing the CPU Fan and CPU to clean it. Never done that before, so a couple of questions.

1. How would I clean the CPU and with what? Rubbing alcohol?
2. This Thermal paste. Where can I get it at and does it have to be something special?
3. Do I have to uninstall the fan like normal hardware before removing it?

EDIT

Not much different, but the CPU did get a little hotter.

System Fan: 1454 RPM (jumps around about +/- 15%)
CPU Fan: 3515 RPM (jumps around about +/- 15%)
CPU Temperature: 49C/120F (jumps around about +/- 5%)
Closed Thread