Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios & CPU

User Tag List

6700k running hot

This is a discussion on 6700k running hot within the Motherboards, Bios & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. So the other night my computer started crashing while playing "State of Decay 2". I thought it was my Radeon

Old 05-08-2020, 07:09 AM   #1
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to ozziesironman

So the other night my computer started crashing while playing "State of Decay 2". I thought it was my Radeon 5700XT, because Southern California has been dealing with a heatwave. I also know how unreliable AMD drivers are...and I can literally feel a plume of heat coming from under the desk while gaming.

opening the case and pointing a fan in didn't improve temps AT ALL, and temps seemed fine, but it would still freeze and crash. So, I figured drivers. Reloaded drivers, no change. It still crashed... and the radeon didn't even hit 90c. I shut it down for the night and then turned it back on the next morning. I figured it might be the game, so I uninstalled and reinstalled the game. During the reinstall, I came back and the computer was completely frozen.

I Rebooted again and opened coretemp... and the temps are idling in the high 30s/low 40s (remember, heat wave). I started prime95 and the small FFTs... and the temps jumped up to high 80s/low 90s. I panicked and turned the computer off for the day, as I had to start working. I was banging my head all day wondering did I mess up the heatsink or something... it shouldn't be getting this hot. I also didn't figure out the crashing problem.

Last night I opened Prime95 again and ran the torture tests when the ambient temperature was a bit cooler. It went from mid 30c's to high 70s/mid 80s. However, all the temps were within 5-6c of each other...if I had messed up the thermal compound, the readings would be all over the place, not so close per core. I also figure it would have manifested itself long ago when I built this thing (late February).

I'm stumped. This thing shouldn't be getting anywhere NEAR the temps its hitting... especially since the cooler is MASSIVE. From what I've been reading, these temps are somewhat high normal... but that wouldn't explain why its crashing all of a sudden... My specs below

Case: Zalman Z9 Neo Plus (White)
CPU: Intel i7 6700K 4GHz (stock speed)
Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 (one 140mm fan only due to memory clearance)
GPU: ASRock AMD Radeon RX 5700XT
Ram: 32GB Corsair DDR4 at stock speeds (no XMP set)
Exhaust fans: 3x 120mm fans (one on back, two on top)
Intake fans: 2x120mm fans

**note** I'm realizing I'm typing this while booted into Kali Linux (dual boot) that it hasn't crashed or anything. I wonder if maybe Windows 10 put out an update that's crashing it and I need to reload?
ozziesironman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2020, 09:03 AM   #2
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Follow the instructions here https://www.techsupportforum.com/for...ta-452654.html
Stancestans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 02:59 PM   #3
Administrator
Team Manager, Gaming
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
Team Manager, Hardware Team
Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

The tcase* for the 6700k is 64c so if you are seeing 80c you need to pull the cooler and redo the paste, check to make sure it was tight to the CPU and is clean of dust and debris.

HTML Code:
TCASE

Case Temperature is the maximum temperature allowed at the processor Integrated Heat Spreader (IHS).
Wrench97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2020, 11:48 PM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrench97 View Post
The tcase* for the 6700k is 64c so if you are seeing 80c you need to pull the cooler and redo the paste, check to make sure it was tight to the CPU and is clean of dust and debris.

HTML Code:
TCASE

Case Temperature is the maximum temperature allowed at the processor Integrated Heat Spreader (IHS).
So I cleaned the heatsink, processor, and re-applied the paste. I'm still getting similar temps. They are a LITTLE LITTLE bit better, but not by much.

Core 0 35c max 86c
core 1 37c max 83c
core 2 36c max 80c
core 3 36c max 81c

max is under 100% load from Prime95 small FFTs after 10 minutes.
Old 05-09-2020, 02:04 AM   #5
Administrator
Team Manager, Gaming
Microsoft MVP

That is core temp what are you seeing as the CPU temp(CPU case temp)?
80c is about as high as I would want to see for core temp under load so overall using prime your not too far off.

Is the CPU overclocked?
Old 05-09-2020, 08:00 AM   #6
Registered Member

in CPUID HWMonitor...

package: 82-83c
core#0: 84c
core#1: 82c
core#2 80c
core#3 81c

im not quite sure how to get the CPU temp / case temp.

not overclocked.

according to CPU-Z... its using 1.376v while under full load

i have everything in the bios default
i have the asus software installed, but im not really using it. The fan xpert software isnt very intuitive.

I havent overclocked this yet, at the moment I still see no need to... but its on my mind, since i think I might be bottlenecking the radeon... but I want to get this heat problem down first.
Old 05-09-2020, 09:27 AM   #7
Registered Member

okay so I ran prime95 without AVX as per the article on TOMS about intel thermal readings. ill post it if asked but I dont think linking to outside forums is allowed, so i wont.

wiht this weaker test going, with small FFTs.... the temps are in the high 60s / low 70s.

still warmer than I'd prefer, especially considering this heatsink is supposed to be on par with water cooling.. but i can live with it.

the computer also hasnt crashed just sitting there...its been running all night and all morning. so I'm not sure what that was all about the other night, with the freezing and crashing.
Old 05-09-2020, 10:23 AM   #8
Administrator
Team Manager, Gaming
Microsoft MVP

The package is is what Intel calls the case temp.

Did it BSOD or just crash?
Old 05-09-2020, 10:32 AM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
The package is is what Intel calls the case temp.

Did it BSOD or just crash?
It crashed. I didn’t see a blue screen. It then froze a couple of times and I had to reboot it. Hasn’t crashed since then though.
Old 05-09-2020, 02:38 PM   #10
Administrator
Team Manager, Gaming
Microsoft MVP

Game and see what happens I'd bet it was getting hotter than you saw under testing.
Old 05-10-2020, 01:22 PM   #11
Registered Member

Okay, so I don't think it was temps. When I was checking in Prime95, I had the AVX instructions on or whatever, and it was overloading the CPU. With small FFTs and AVX off (as close as possible to Intel tests) its barely touching 70c. Real world usage, gaming etc it doesnt ever go over 55c.

I still took the heatsink off and cleaned it and the processor and reapplied thermal compound. I noticed a slightly bent pin, but got it back into place with needle tweezers. luckily.

I also put a 120mm fan on the back of my heatsink (because the memory is too tall for a fan on the front)... and thats helping temps a bit too.

it idles now at 28c (with nothing but windows running). With music and Edge going, its sitting between 33 and 38c.

all cores are within 3c of each other.

HOWEVER. I was just playing Jedi Fallen Order....and it seems the driver crashed. It froze, like it did before, and then went back to windows. A diagnostic popped up with "unreal engine is exiting due to D3D device being lost" and then gives a device string followed by "hung".

I'm this close to sending this radeon back and getting another Geforce. It sure sounds like a driver issue to me.
Old 05-10-2020, 02:14 PM   #12
Administrator
Team Manager, Gaming
Microsoft MVP

If you are on the newest driver, try a older ATI driver for that card first.

I take it the card is a new addition?
Old 05-10-2020, 02:35 PM   #13
Registered Member

Quote:
If you are on the newest driver, try a older ATI driver for that card first.

I take it the card is a new addition?
Yep. I had a Geforce GTX 980 and figured I'd give team red a try. I had to use that utility to COMPLETELY uninstall the Geforce driver from safe mode before it started working properly.

It worked fine for awhile, albeit I got MUCH MORE heat from the CPU than I'm used to... then when this all started is when I started getting the issues. I never did a complete OS reinstall when I upgraded systems... this same install is the one I used on my old Sandy Bridge setup I remember you assisting me with. I wonder if thats part of the whole ordeal too....
Old 05-10-2020, 09:00 PM   #14
Registered Member

update: I reloaded windows freshly. I used diskpart to manually remove the partitions, and then cleaned the disk and shut it down. then booted back to the win10 uefi installer and installed it.

My idle temps went down 5-10 degrees, my full load temps about the same, and so far the AMD driver hasn't crashed.

I also haven't installed the Asus AI Suite... windows and the bios seem to be handling fan speed just fine, and performance is what it should be.
Old 05-10-2020, 11:55 PM   #15
Administrator
Team Manager, Gaming
Microsoft MVP

Leave the AI Suite off you do not need it.
Old 05-12-2020, 04:06 PM   #16
Registered Member

Im not sure if anybody else has mentioned this but your CPU will run hot simply because you are running your cooler with one fan removed. This is a large amount of heatsink to be cooled via one fan, and likely is part of your issue.

I understand you have many other fans in the case, but if the heatsink isnt dissipating into the air enough, the heat will stagnate into the heatsink and get hotter....
Jeebus_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 04:54 PM   #17
Team Manager - Hardware
Acting Manager, Security Center

My System

I leave all those utility suites from motherboard mfgr off so I agree with Wrench here and also Jeebus that the one fan removed could well be causing all this too.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and more effectively.
Rich-M is offline   Reply With Quote