Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU

User Tag List

4 sticks of RAM

This is a discussion on 4 sticks of RAM within the Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have a question similar to chamelious. I have a mother board with 4 slots. As it happens, 2GB is

Closed Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 01:18 PM   #1
Registered Member

I have a question similar to chamelious.
I have a mother board with 4 slots. As it happens, 2GB is the max it will recognize.
in my spare parts I have 4 512's, all kingston, same model etc.
And I have 2 1GB's.
Does anyone know which would run faster? I am thinking of doing the 4x512 to use them up, some of my other systems only have 2 slots, so that would be better place to use the 1GB's.
thanks techs
BD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2011, 07:37 PM   #2
Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by chamelious View Post
My m/ board has 4 slots for ram, 2 on "channel A" and 2 more on B. I currently have a stick of 256 kingston in one of each channels slots running dual channel. Can i add another two sticks of 256 in the other 2 slots and get 1gb of dual channel memory??
Your best option would be to purchase a matched pair of 2X1 GB sticks. That will give you 2GB & Dual Channel operation.
If we knew what we were working with we could be more definitive.
Go to Crucial's site to determine what and how much RAM you can use.
RAM Memory Upgrade: Dell, Mac, Apple, HP, Compaq. USB drives, SSD at Crucial.com

Old 05-08-2011, 07:40 PM   #3
Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by eye5 View Post
I have a question similar to chamelious.
I have a mother board with 4 slots. As it happens, 2GB is the max it will recognize.
in my spare parts I have 4 512's, all kingston, same model etc.
And I have 2 1GB's.
Does anyone know which would run faster? I am thinking of doing the 4x512 to use them up, some of my other systems only have 2 slots, so that would be better place to use the 1GB's.
thanks techs
BD
Please start your own thread and include your PC Specs.
All Mobo's are not the same so we can't offer knowledgeable advise if we don't know what we're working with.
PC Specs?
Pre-Built Brand & Model Number
Custom Built-Brand & Model of Mobo-CPU-RAM-Graphics-PSU.
Posting in another person's thread is confusing and only makes it more difficult to assist you.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2011, 05:48 PM   #4
Team Manager - Networking
Moderator - Hardware

My System

Two thoughts.

First, some boards have issues using 4 sticks of RAM. This was mostly with older boards (which appears to be what you are using if there is a 2GB limit).

Second, most MB's run slower with 4 sticks than they do with 2 sticks as they slow the timings so that they can communicate with 4 sticks.

With that said, try it. And assuming it works, benchtest to verify which is faster.

Closed Thread