Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios & CPU

User Tag List

4 channel versus 2 channel memory and motherboards?

This is a discussion on 4 channel versus 2 channel memory and motherboards? within the Motherboards, Bios & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Could someone please take a little time to explain to me? Are motherboards with only 4 Dimm slots capable of

Closed Thread

Old 07-02-2019, 06:40 PM   #1
Registered Member

Could someone please take a little time to explain to me? Are motherboards with only 4 Dimm slots capable of running 4 channel memory? Or, just 2 channel memory? How about motherboards with 8 Dimm slots? They can run 4 channel memory, but what about 2 channel memory on a motherboard with 8 Dimm slots? What is the difference, the advantage, ( if there is any advantage ), to running 2 channel memory, if you have a motherboard that is capable of running 4 channel memory? Thanks so much for explaining this to me. I need to understand this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2019, 07:16 PM   #2
Microsoft MVP
Microsoft Team Moderator
Articles Team Manager
Hardware Team Moderator

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

It completely depends on the motherboard on their ability to support dual or quad channel memory. In some instances, a motherboard may have four dimm slots, but only support single or dual channel.

Are you looking at a specific motherboard?
Old 07-04-2019, 12:08 AM   #3
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Check out https://techguided.com/single-channe...-quad-channel/
Ignore the results labelled "quad", but overall, the article explains the difference between single, dual and quad channel configurations quite well. The best analogy I can think of is a single-lane two-way road, a two-lane two-way road and a four-lane two-way road. Now, imagine you need to conduct the same number of (all kinds of) vehicles through these roads. Which among those roads do you think will prove to be a lot more tasking to direct traffic through? With four lanes on both sides of the road, traffic flow will be a lot less stressfull compared to the two-lane or single-lane roads, right? You can easily picture this scenario on city roads at rush hour. Modern systems no longer have the memory controller permanently integrated into the motherboard. Instead, the memory controller is integrated into the cpu package, allowing for upgrades, say from a cpu that supports two channels to one that supports four channels as long as the motherboard also supports the same. With more channels (lanes) to work with and data traffic flowing fast and simultaneously through them, the cpu is less tasked with managing traffic flow to and from memory. Not all applications will noticeably benefit from this fast and effortless flow of data to and from memory though, so investing in a quad-channel motherboard and processor may not be worthwhile depending on your intended use.

More interesting reading here https://www.pcworld.com/article/2982...ce.html?page=1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2019, 01:57 PM   #4
Microsoft MVP
Microsoft Team Moderator
Articles Team Manager
Hardware Team Moderator

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

Quote:
I'm not looking at a specific motherboard yet, but I'm interested in high performance hardware. I don't call myself a "gamer", but I guess that's what I am. My main interest is flight simulation, and honestly, the software for flight simulation is not as rigorous as the software that's published for many games these days. Still, though, I want high performance hardware, and memory. Even if it's overkill for today's flight simulation software. Any suggestions or info you may know, will be greatly appreciated by me. Thanks.
Any standard motherboard will do then. You don't need anything expensive.
Closed Thread